BajaNomad

Recent TJ to Loreto by air

TLBaja79 - 11-29-2014 at 11:12 AM

Just back from a trip to Loreto. We flew on aereocalifia out of TJ and its very simple. Approx $250 round trip

Drove down to Otay border and parked at Delta Truck Parking, they are great, some very nice cars in the gravel lot. Not at all concerned with leaving my car there. $7 per day
They are very prompt with giving a ride to the border after a quick payment and filling out a quick form.

Walking across the border is easy, they tried to have us get our FMM at the border, but since I already knew how to do it at the airport we told them no thanks. Walked over to the cabs and a nice cab was happy to take us to the airport. I forget but think they charged 200 pesos for 3 of us.

Airport is very easy and the customer service from the check in to the security is so friendly and refreshing. The airport is nice clean and very comfortable, similar to a regional airport in the US but much less pricey for a beer or snack! It only took us 25min from parking in Otay to arriving at our gate! I would always allow more time but its quick!

The 2nd half of the flight is beautiful from the left side of the plane. You fly over LA Bay and all south along the Sea of Cortez.

The Loreto airport is easy and quick. We rented a car, got an economy car, not the best but it worked for the few things we wanted it for. I think it was about $40 a day with the minimal liability ins.

Stayed at La Mision Hotel. We have always avoided this place in the past since we aren't into the resort style hotels but decided we had to do it once to check it out. We really liked it! The pool was very nice and all of the staff are very happy to help you out! They are truly very nice people that aren't just looking for a tip. People are out every morning cleaning and scrubbing the pool deck, chairs and everything.
It was very nice to drink 30peso beers at the pool (I know its pricey for Baja but not for a pool beer!)

We really enjoyed eating at Mita Gourmet, La Palapa, Super Burro, Clam Shack (south of town) is a new favorite, Cesars Tacos.
New Tequila tasting bar 'El Malquerido' was awesome! The people there are locals that speak great English and are very fun to hang out with. This is along the 'walking street' just up from the mission. They don't have food but will be happy to order it for you and bring it to you from a restaurant next door. Hope this place makes it, we enjoyed it!
A few other places weren't our favorite even though we didn't eat any bad meals, the ones I listed are great!

We drove out to Mission San Javier in our little junky rental car and barely made it! The road is rough for a little economy car, in a truck you'd have no problem at all. Some of the road is washed out and there was plenty of water in the washes that was a bit dicey for the little car.
The Mission is great, they had some damage from Odile (Blown out windows and door) but for the most part its all ok. The guy (forget his name) is great and will tell you history about the Mission, its a good time up there. The restaurant nearby is good, 'La Palapa' good food nice place with freshly cooked food!

The flight back was just as easy, though tough to bring yourself to get on the return flight!
Landing in TJ you simply grab your bag, go through a security check and grab a cab. There are different color cabs but the first ones you see are simple and they charged 200pesos for a ride to the Otay border.
Get in the right line at the border unless you have a passport 'CARD'. Took us about 20min on Sunday afternoon (not bad).
Simply call up Delta Truck Parking and they pick you up right away and take you to your car! We can't believe how easy it is (1hr from landing TJ to driving away in our car!

Delta Truck Parking, simple but we felt our car was safe there.

Outside the TJ airport

TJ airport, its nice and clean and easy!

One of the best flights! Such a good view!

Mission San Javier

Loreto Sunset!

Malecon

Its pretty nice in here with a cold beer!

BajaParrothead - 11-29-2014 at 11:58 AM

Great informative report and pics.:light: Thanks for taking the time to post.

sancho - 11-29-2014 at 12:42 PM

Looks like you nailed all the details with ease, it is a game
some play in claiming they never pay over $1 or so for a beer,
what's that $2.25 for a beer at a pool, sounds good to me

woody with a view - 11-29-2014 at 12:48 PM

Delta is awesome! love the LA Bay pic.

BajaBlanca - 11-29-2014 at 06:10 PM

What an awesome report!

David K - 11-29-2014 at 06:20 PM

Thanks!

wilderone - 12-6-2014 at 09:40 AM

"Approx $250 round trip"
Awesome - I paid $243 RT for THE BUS last year!

Pacifico - 12-6-2014 at 09:51 AM

Great, informative trip report! I agree with Woody....love the LA Bay pic!

gallesram - 12-6-2014 at 09:55 AM

Great report; we have had the exact same experience and followed most of your itinerary in the past. A few margaritas at the Loreto airport before boarding the flight makes the return a little less painful (but not much). We have often thought of just missing the Sunday flight home but since the next one isn't until Thursday it makes it a little impractical.

We think the TJ airport is one of the best kept secrets in Mexico. As you said, so refreshing to encounter such genuinely friendly people. I compare it to flying in the US back in the 70s when flying was not as much the norm.

Thanks for the restaurant picks; we'll need to try those next time.

DianaT - 12-6-2014 at 10:13 AM

Nice report and pictures. Sounds like you had a great time!

Thanks for the recommendations.

paranewbi - 12-7-2014 at 06:57 AM

Do this same method of travel in Mex all the time now. We live a few minutes away from Delta Trucking and the service has always been awesome.
Two weeks ago we hit on $35 each way tickets to Oaxaca in March! Gotta watch Volaris Airlines regularly. This was a one day deal for specific time period of purchase and travel we chanced on at 5pm on a weekday. The time period is not a consideration as we spend the $140 for two roundtrip fare here at home on a weekend.
We also love flying out of the TJ airport!

Sweetwater - 12-7-2014 at 02:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by paranewbi  
Do this same method of travel in Mex all the time now. We live a few minutes away from Delta Trucking and the service has always been awesome.
Two weeks ago we hit on $35 each way tickets to Oaxaca in March! Gotta watch Volaris Airlines regularly. This was a one day deal for specific time period of purchase and travel we chanced on at 5pm on a weekday. The time period is not a consideration as we spend the $140 for two roundtrip fare here at home on a weekend.
We also love flying out of the TJ airport!

Nice to hear about alternatives to the time honored tradition of wheels on the ground peninsula runs....maybe I can get my wife interested in this approach....;D