BajaNomad

Diesel on the peninsula

Mulegena - 11-30-2014 at 10:35 AM

A friend just bought a diesel-run van.
She's planning to come down and tour the peninsula, perhaps go over to the mainland.

Will she find diesel readily available on the peninsula, north & south?

How about diesel on the mainland mexico?

Thanks.

David K - 11-30-2014 at 10:46 AM

All those big trucks and buses you see everywhere are diesel.

Your friend only needs to panic if he/she is concerned about not finding ULTRA LOW SULFUR DIESEL... south of the 28º parallel. The standard LOW SULFUR works it has been reported here, but some are wondering about warranty and stuff if they don't use ULTRA LOW for an extended period.

chippy - 11-30-2014 at 11:53 AM

Diesel is everywhere down here on the mainland.

basautter - 11-30-2014 at 03:50 PM

Fill up whenever you can. Supply can get tight, especially during the holidays.

Diesel caution

bajaguy - 11-30-2014 at 03:57 PM

Diesel may be everywhere, but check your owners manual to determine the manufacturers specification on which diesel to use....either LSD or ULSD.

Wrong fuel can void warranties, damage engine components and leave you stranded.

Additionally, carry extra diesel exhaust fluid (urea) if used in your vehicle as availability may be limited in Baja/Mexico

[Edited on 11-30-2014 by bajaguy]

Bob and Susan - 11-30-2014 at 04:41 PM

diesels burn anything...sometimes french-fry oil

if your "friend" is going to the mainland they need an import permit at the border...i'm pretty sure they cant get them here

chippy - 11-30-2014 at 07:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
Diesel may be everywhere, but check your owners manual to determine the manufacturers specification on which diesel to use....either LSD or ULSD.

Wrong fuel can void warranties, damage engine components and leave you stranded.

Additionally, carry extra diesel exhaust fluid (urea) if used in your vehicle as availability may be limited in Baja/Mexic

I have 3 diesel vehicles down here a 1995,2003 and a 2014 NO PROBLEMS so far. But if you want to fearful like bajaguy then please stay away. [Edited on 11-30-2014 by bajaguy]

bajaguy - 11-30-2014 at 08:08 PM

Hey, Chippy

I have a 2011 Dodge Ram with a 6.7l Cummins diesel. I'm not fearful, I am careful. The warranty and the manual state ULSD. If I go south of Guerrero Negro where there is no ULSD, I take my Toyota Tacoma.

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  
Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  

Additionally, carry extra diesel exhaust fluid (urea) if used in your vehicle as availability may be limited in Baja/Mexic

I have 3 diesel vehicles down here a 1995,2003 and a 2014 NO PROBLEMS so far. But if you want to fearful like bajaguy then please stay away. [Edited on 11-30-2014 by bajaguy]

Mulegena - 11-30-2014 at 08:21 PM

Thanks, most everyone, for your replies.
I've sent them on to my friend.
She's decided to come to Baja in February and is weighing the pros and cons of diesel vs. gas engine in whatever car she'll get for the trip.
To hear from a wide range of voices with both positive and cautionary experiences is exactly why I brought this to the Nomad board.
Mil Gracias.

bajabuddha - 11-30-2014 at 11:38 PM

Mulegena,
This topic has been debated ad nauseum on the boards time and time again. It boils down to 'how new is the vehicle?' If it is less than 5 years old, and requires Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel, your friend could harm the engine if down for more than a few weeks. I'd recommend the ol' 'better safe than sorry' story. Lots of folks say to tow trailers up the Road From Hell (Gonzaga to Chapala) too.

Ya spends yer money, ya takes yer chances. One thing about diesels I do know (had one once) is when they break, they break DEARLY.

Bob and Susan - 12-1-2014 at 06:00 AM

it's not about "harming" the engine...its about smog

every year the rules get stricter...the manuf cannot tell you a diesel will run on anything but ULSD otherwise the smog rule is broken and fines can happen

its really not a bad rule...diesels don't smell that bad anymore

fishwhenican - 12-6-2014 at 01:52 PM

Actually most of the new diesels have both a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) and a Diesel Oxidation Catalyst (DOC).

The DPF helps remove particulates from the exhaust. When the DPF starts to get restricted it uses additional fuel from the engine to oxidize in the DOC creating an extremely hot exhaust flow through the DPF. This hot exhaust flow turns the particulates to ash. Ash loading has an accumulative effect, the more often particulates restrict the DPF, the more that ash builds up in the DPF.

Sulfur is a particulate. Sulfur and ash (from the wrong oil) are what lead to DPF restrictions.

Not running ULSD will cause the DPF to become plugged - eventually. The computer measures DPF loading and will restrict power (fuel) down to where the engine will only idle. I have seen a lot of plugged DPF and DOC, I have yet to see an engine damaged by a plugged DPF. DPF replacement, if it can't be cleaned, is expensive.

Fry grease/SVO/B100 ...none of these have sulfur in them. Thus they won't harm the DPF. Except that the shelf life of these fuels, even commercially produced ones is about 3 months. Then they start to break down and become acidic and sticky, like sugar. After that they damage the fuel system, which can cause DPF plugging.

Stick with ULSD, if that is what your vehicle requires, or pay for resulting repairs. It does not void the warranty, but any damage caused by unsuitable fuels is not covered by warranty.

watizname - 12-8-2014 at 10:18 AM

I just took my new F250 Superduty Diesel to Loreto, and back. I asked Antonio at Baja Cactus about the Diesel situation and he informed me that the ULSD was available in Baja down to Jesus Maria. When I filled up there, I asked if the fuel came from the Norte or Sur and the attendant said the Norte. I filled up in Ensenada, El Rosario, and Jusus Maria. I also took 25 gallons of ULSD with me and only used about 7 gallons of the Low sulpher diesel, mixed in with three quarters of a tank of the ULSD. No problems. :cool:

dasubergeek - 12-9-2014 at 08:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
diesels burn anything...sometimes french-fry oil

if your "friend" is going to the mainland they need an import permit at the border...i'm pretty sure they cant get them here

Only import at the border if you're going to enter the mainland on a ferry. If you're going to drive back up and cross through Sonora, you can import the vehicle at the import stop, which is east of Empalme about 10 km.

Hook - 12-10-2014 at 07:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by fishwhenican  
Actually most of the new diesels have both a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) and a Diesel Oxidation Catalyst (DOC).

The DPF helps remove particulates from the exhaust. When the DPF starts to get restricted it uses additional fuel from the engine to oxidize in the DOC creating an extremely hot exhaust flow through the DPF. This hot exhaust flow turns the particulates to ash. Ash loading has an accumulative effect, the more often particulates restrict the DPF, the more that ash builds up in the DPF.

Sulfur is a particulate. Sulfur and ash (from the wrong oil) are what lead to DPF restrictions.

Not running ULSD will cause the DPF to become plugged - eventually. The computer measures DPF loading and will restrict power (fuel) down to where the engine will only idle. I have seen a lot of plugged DPF and DOC, I have yet to see an engine damaged by a plugged DPF. DPF replacement, if it can't be cleaned, is expensive.

Fry grease/SVO/B100 ...none of these have sulfur in them. Thus they won't harm the DPF. Except that the shelf life of these fuels, even commercially produced ones is about 3 months. Then they start to break down and become acidic and sticky, like sugar. After that they damage the fuel system, which can cause DPF plugging.

Stick with ULSD, if that is what your vehicle requires, or pay for resulting repairs. It does not void the warranty, but any damage caused by unsuitable fuels is not covered by warranty.

Best answer, ever, on Nomads, to this often-asked question.