BajaNomad

Why the WORM in Tequila (I know, mescal!)

bajabuddha - 12-2-2014 at 12:47 PM

Here's the link:
(and Cecil NEVER lies!)

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1334/why-is-there-a...

[Edited on 12-2-2014 by bajabuddha]

[Edited on 12-4-2014 by bajabuddha]

baconjr - 12-4-2014 at 11:06 AM

Did a project on this in college. The worm started as a quality control effort. Mescal is a bootleg product and in cases the stuff would kill you like bootleg gin. The worm was placed in the bottle and if it stayed cosmetically impeccable the stuff was good to drink. If the worm disintegrated the stuff was no good.

bajabuddha - 12-4-2014 at 11:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by baconjr  
Did a project on this in college. The worm started as a quality control effort. Mescal is a bootleg product and in cases the stuff would kill you like bootleg gin. The worm was placed in the bottle and if it stayed cosmetically impeccable the stuff was good to drink. If the worm disintegrated the stuff was no good.

As a former part-time Mixologist I touted that story as fact for the last errmmm,.... so many years too. I enjoy reading ol' Cecil and The Straight Dope; ain't saying he's 100% accurate all the time, but I did get a kick out of him actually naming the guy who first came up with the idea; I wonder if he started the 'quality control' story as well? Anyway, fun read, eh?
:)