BajaNomad

Blanca's Christmas with teens 2014/5

BajaBlanca - 12-7-2014 at 12:08 PM

Santa Claus has been really busy getting ready for Christmas!

EACH COLLEGE SCHOLARSHIP STUDENT WILL GET HIS/HER OWN BOX OF WRAPPED CHRISTMAS GIFTS - MOSTLY UTILITARIAN STUFF WHICH WILL BRING THEIR LIVING EXPENSES DOWN:

WISH LIST ITEM #1 IS FOR 2 MORE IRONS, FOR THE BOYS, WHO WILL NEED TO IRON THEIR BUSINESS DRESS SHIRTS.

I MADE THE GIRLS SQUIGGLY NAME TAGS:

THE BOYS HAVE MUSTACHES:

NOTEBOOKS DONATED BY BAJANOMADER GENECAG AND WIFE, MY MOM AND BY A MEXICAN BUSINESSMAN WHOM WE MET THRU THE B&B:

WHICH BRINGS US TO WISH LIST ITEM #2 - MY MOM DONATED 12 THREE RING BINDERS AND I WOULD LOVE TO ADD LOOSE LEAF PAPER TO THEM.

BEAUTIFUL FRILLY GIRLY BLOUSES DONATED BY CANADIAN BAJANOMADER BRUCE AND SIGNIFICANT OTHER, EDNA:

REALLY NEAT SHORTS DONATED BY MY MOM FOR THE BOYS:

WONDERFUL REUSABLE SHOPPING BAGS THAT SOME ANGEL LEFT FOR ME IN SAN IGNACIO BUT PUT NO NAME DOWN BUT I THANK YOU! YOU JUST KNOW THERE WILL BE CHRISTMAS DISCUSSION ON THE IMPORTANCE OF NOT LITTERING :))))

I GAVE MY MOM MONEY TO BUY DRESS SHIRTS FOR THE BOYS. WISH LIST ITEM #3: MORE MEN'S DRESS SHIRTS AND TIES TIES TIES:

I HAVE THREE LAST REQUESTS- (IS THAT ALL YOU ARE THINKING SURELY) hee hee hee hee HAHAHA!

1. toothpaste and dental floss for 7 kids (I got 5 huge crest tubes and since I like to give the same item to each kid, I need 7 more.

2. Two of the boys from La Paz need to have their wisdom teeth removed. We shall be taking them to Tijuana. $100 bucks for each kid would be enough to cover this cost .I will pay for hotel and food and their return to La Bocana for Christmas.

3. and last but oh so so so on my wishlist- I need laptops for the 5 that are in this mentoring year. Bajanomader DTBushpilot helped me buy one that someone was selling in Todos Santos -new in box for 3,000 pesos or $220. That leaves me with a need for FOUR MORE.

Please buy your grandkids or kids or significant other a brand new laptop and let us have the older one ?

THANKS EVERYONE AND HAVE A GREAT CHRISTMAS! WE WILL BE IN SAN DIEGO OVER XMAS AND THIS WOULD BE THE PERFECT TIME FOR ANY DONATION YOU MIGHT HAVE :)))

HERE ARE SOME OTHER PICS FROM THE PAST YEAR JUST FOR THE FUN OF IT

Genecag and his wife making faces:

The girls and the optomestrist who tested all the teens eyesight for free:

The Halloween angels who brought so many goodies and I still have some candy that each teen will get a bag of this Christmas:

Bruce and I took 5 teens over to San Ignacio to the free dental clinic where they filled cavities and gave them a cleaning and instruction on oral care:

I had the kids create a thank you card for the dentist DR RAY and his assistant Vickie, both have been with the flying docs for over 20 years:

COOKING AND EATING TOGETHER:

AND LASTLY -CLEANING UP LA BOCANA ONE DAY:

[Edited on 12-7-2014 by BajaBlanca]

[Edited on 1-1-2015 by BajaBlanca]

[Edited on 1-30-2015 by BajaBlanca]

monoloco - 12-7-2014 at 12:39 PM

Great work you're doing Blanca!

Marc - 12-7-2014 at 12:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by monoloco  
Great work you're doing Blanca!

DITTO

sd - 12-7-2014 at 04:22 PM

Blanca,

I have a new iron, never used. Made by Orick, the vacuum company. I will be dropping some toys off next week in San Diego for Fernando's toy drive at Baja Bound Insurance, I can leave it there for pick up. Or I will ship it to your Mom.

Let me know.

Scot

MMc - 12-7-2014 at 04:37 PM

Blanca, do you have a Paypal account?

shari - 12-7-2014 at 05:39 PM

good job santa! blanca...extractions are only 500 pesos at the dentist in Vizcaino...why take them to TJ?

wisdom teeth vs. "normal" extractions

Whale-ista - 12-7-2014 at 06:56 PM

Good question. I've heard that removing some wisdom teeth is a surgical procedure vs. basic "extraction" with other adult teeth.

My sister (an RN) worked with an oral surgeon, and depending on person's age, development of wisdom teeth, location of root structure etc., removing wisdom teeth could require general anesthesia and more surgery than removing other teeth.

So maybe Blanca is being cautious and going to an oral surgeon vs. dentist in case they need more care.

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
good job santa! blanca...extractions are only 500 pesos at the dentist in Vizcaino...why take them to TJ?

BajaBlanca - 12-7-2014 at 08:50 PM

They have been to a dentist and these teeth will require surgery hence the extra expense. I really want to be there in case something goes wrong - I know I know - probably over-protective but I gotta go with my gut.

Thanks Marc !

No paypal account but I have a wells fargo acct in California or you can mail the check? I will U2U you.

BajaBound is perfect for the iron -muchissimas gracias whooot whoot

I must mention that the buying of the computer in Todos Santos would not have been possible without the help of monoloco! The woman who was selling did not have a bank account, I am easily 600 miles north of there. Monoloco got the money in his account and met up with her and has a friend who will bring the laptop to San Ignacio:

and here is a pic we took just last Friday with the group that will start college in August 2015. These kids are getting straight A's, Merielle is president of the class, they are involved in every school activity. I will be doing my yearly webpage for them soon and will post more pics and info then:

Thanks everyone. We live in a tiny fishing town and there are only 5 local ex-pats so I really count on YOU all to help me.....someone reminded me that it takes a village and you are my village ((((:

Whale-ista - 12-7-2014 at 09:17 PM

brava Blanca! Great work preparing these students to succeed in college.

I'll gather some school supplies to add to the Halloween items I collected for you last month.

gator - 12-8-2014 at 09:25 AM

Hi Blanca, you are doing wonderful work. The world needs more angels like you.

rts551 - 12-8-2014 at 09:28 AM

Blanca. setting up a PAYPAL account is easy and you could also use it for your other ventures

shari - 12-8-2014 at 09:30 AM

got it...blanca, it is very simple to set yourself up a paypal account and that would make it so easy for our Nomad "villagers" to help out! Just go to www.paypal.com and set it up..it is perfect for your guests to send deposits and/or pay you too as many are short on hard cash.

BajaBlanca - 12-8-2014 at 06:13 PM

I will look into it!

sd - 12-10-2014 at 12:46 PM

BajaBlanca - I left a duffle bag of goods for you to pick up when you stop at Baja Bound Insurance. One new iron, casual dress shirts and a few duffle bags.

Scot

BajaBlanca - 12-10-2014 at 01:48 PM

oh yessssssssssssssssssss

Those duffel bags are the perfect perfect thing for them them to pack for college. YOU ROCK. I just can't wait to see their faces (((((:

Janzie - 12-12-2014 at 07:19 AM

Although we have RV'd in Baja previous years, this is our first time as 6 month visitors in our own casita. We would be pleased to help out, and a pay pal account would make that possible, and would give you the opportunity to use the funds as you think best.
You are amazing in what you do!

BajaBlanca - 12-12-2014 at 01:19 PM

Ok!

BajaBlanca - 12-31-2014 at 07:48 PM

In the meantime - Blanca and her elves - bajanomader Feathers, good friend Anna, Pablo's (one of the students moms) and Julian's cousin have been super busy wrapping and wrapping:

CLARISSA'S BOX

ENRIQUE'S BOX

PABLO'S BOX

CAROLINA'S BOX

there are more more more ! On Saturday we have a turkey lunch and the teens get to open their presents.

thanks to all of YOU this is a record year for goodies

Scot - your ties came in so handy! perfect!

thanks Feathers, you were my angel today and may God bless you over and over.

Kgryfon - 1-1-2015 at 02:25 AM

You are really awesome for your work with these kids! They are blessed to have you :)

BajaBlanca - 1-1-2015 at 01:59 PM

thanks, it is a true team effort. I just wish the turkey would defrost faster LoL

BajaBlanca - 1-30-2015 at 10:18 AM

Here are the pics from the day we all got together to share a turkey lunch with all the trimmings (they even tried cranberry and loved it)

Luis Angel with his new shorts:

Julian with his new cap:

Julian with his new cap AND tie:

Enrique with his new dress shirt:

Clarissa with her new jewelery doll:

All of us eating lunch at the picnic table behind the B&B. Les made his famous Welsh turkey with stuffing and it was as delicious as always:

Here is the whole group, on the front porch of the B&B, mssing are Carolina, Alen, Cristian, Ramiro, Sergio, and Dayr:

And here they are again with me:

It really was wonderful day and the kids had a blast as did I. Thought it would be a good idea to finish this thread properly! It's never too late, right?

Thanks to all of you who made this possible!

[Edited on 1-30-2015 by BajaBlanca]

churro - 1-31-2015 at 08:28 AM

You do great work Blanca! I wish we had more people on the planet like you...Please set up the Pay Pal account