BajaNomad

Suggestions for secure staging in Central Baja

captain.olives - 12-7-2014 at 03:16 PM

Heading down to Baja with a group of dirtbikers from the Bay Area in late January. While not new to Baja, I have never traveled with this many folks or had to plan where to stage/store our vehicles within a days drive of the border while we ride. Realistically looking at 6 tow vehicles and trailers.

I usually stay down in Mulege, but think its too far for a group to make before nightfall in one day with trailers. Pretty firm on the one day limit for driving, no night driving.

I was thinking of someplace in the Bay of LA or Guerrero Negro, but have never spent more than a night in motel in either. Havent been to the Bay of LA in a decade. BOLA would be perfect I think if we can arrange for safe storage of the vehicles (obviously willing to pay for it as well).

Looking for some suggestions from the deep knowledge base here on Bajanomad.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

TMW - 12-7-2014 at 03:42 PM

Malarimmos Hotel in GN has space in the rear. I don't know what they would charge. Daggett's camp ground in LA Bay could probably handle it as well.

[Edited on 12-7-2014 by TMW]

David K - 12-7-2014 at 04:10 PM

http://www.malarrimo.com

MMc - 12-7-2014 at 04:34 PM

Will you be coming home everyday? I assume you are doing a loop trip?

BOLA, try these places,
http://www.bahiadelosangeles.info/accomodations.htm We like Archelon, and Larry and Raquels. Most down there willwatch over your stuff.

There are lots of places to check out in GN. I would not want to start a trip here because you will riding to a jump off point. Plenty to do after a 20 mile drive of flat.

rts551 - 12-7-2014 at 05:04 PM

Guerrero Negro may have lots of whale watchers staying there. make reservations early if you are staying there.

Where do you plan on riding and how much time do you have?

If you have the time, I would stay in Asuncion, La Bocana, Abreojos, or San Ignacio. Nice riding...lots of desert and lots of coast....and much safer for your rigs left behind. one day from Ensenada or San Diego.

MMc - 12-7-2014 at 08:20 PM

RTS is right. Some of the best of Baja right there.

DianaT - 12-7-2014 at 08:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
Guerrero Negro may have lots of whale watchers staying there. make reservations early if you are staying there.

Where do you plan on riding and how much time do you have?

If you have the time, I would stay in Asuncion, La Bocana, Abreojos, or San Ignacio. Nice riding...lots of desert and lots of coast....and much safer for your rigs left behind. one day from Ensenada or San Diego.

If you go out to Bahia Asuncion and stay and visit the Hotel Verduzco, I can guarantee you that Victor will find a safe place for you to leave your vehicles and trailers.

[Edited on 12-8-2014 by DianaT]

shari - 12-8-2014 at 09:41 AM

You can probably store vehicles at Posada don Vicente which is the most secure place in GN and they have room inside the big wall which is fully gated at night with a watchman...cheap rooms and an indoor pool too! The phone # is 615-157-0288 and if you like I can call and set it up for you...heck why dont you guys do a whale watch with me then! it's a cool ride out to the lagoon!

captain.olives - 12-9-2014 at 05:27 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. Riding for 5 days. Thinking of large loop. Route will be determined by staging spot and must be large dual sport friendly. No fun dragging an XR650 with bags over boulders.

Some of the legs I want to include would be Punta San Francisquito from Bola to El Arco to Vizcaino. Like to do do San Javier, Comondu, La Purisima, Scorpian Bay, San Ignacio again too.