BajaNomad

MAG BAY REPORT - December 12, 2014

bill erhardt - 12-12-2014 at 11:47 AM

I fished yesterday on the Ridge outside Mag Bay after launching at Lopez Mateos. Boca de Soledad had its dander up, and the swells outside hid the horizon when in a trough. But, the interval was long, the wind was light, and the fish were big. It was a good day

Jim King who fished with me was nursing a bad shoulder so he acted as trip photographer and I got to fish. Jim did bite the bullet and bring one half of a double to the boat.

Here are some pics that Jim took of the action yesterday, and some other recent photos of fish that posed nicely at the boat outside Mag Bay.

The best news is that the SST is holding in the low to mid 70s so the fish may be around for a while.

24baja - 12-12-2014 at 11:54 AM

Beautiful fish and pics.....what luck you have! Right now I am wishing I were you!

Pacifico - 12-12-2014 at 12:28 PM

Beautiful pics, Bill.....

monoloco - 12-12-2014 at 02:09 PM

Nice! I wish some of those wahoo and tuna would move down our way.

msteve1014 - 12-12-2014 at 02:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by monoloco  

Or up our way. The water temps are still good but wahoo and tuna have been very on and off.

Bill, what lure is that in the wahoo double, and the first tuna?

bill erhardt - 12-12-2014 at 03:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by msteve1014  
Quote: Originally posted by monoloco  

Or up our way. The water temps are still good but wahoo and tuna have been very on and off.

Bill, what lure is that in the wahoo double, and the first tuna?

Those are Halco Laser Pro 190s, made in Australia. Mark Rayor of Jen Wren sportfishing on the East Cape has been touting them for a couple of years. In fact, in the photos in his weekly reports many of the yellowfin have one hanging out of their mouths. I got some for tuna and soon found out the hard way when I promptly lost one to a toothy hoo that wahoo like them just as well as yellowfin. I now use 275# 49 strand leaders and have swapped out the treble hooks for Mustad 7732 Js. The green one in the double photo has now caught 12 or 15 hoos, as well as a number of tuna, and still seems to find a fish whenever I put it in the water although almost all the original paint job is gone. Here's a photo of it and a pristine new model that may never make it into the water unless I lose old reliable.

Loretana - 12-12-2014 at 04:32 PM

Uff da!!

Thanks for the report and photos, Bill.
Nice.

chippy - 12-12-2014 at 04:39 PM

Damn! U da wahoo king!

BornFisher - 12-12-2014 at 05:05 PM

Dittos what everyone said except there was no luck involved here. Just skill and experience!! CONGRATS!!!!

msteve1014 - 12-12-2014 at 05:19 PM

Thank you, and keep the photos coming.

24baja - 12-12-2014 at 05:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BornFisher  
Dittos what everyone said except there was no luck involved here. Just skill and experience!! CONGRATS!!!!

You say experience, I say luck, no need to split hairs. I am just happy someone is having LUCKY EXPERIENCE.

Cypress - 12-12-2014 at 06:28 PM

Those Ono are a treat.

Santiago - 12-13-2014 at 07:52 AM

Bill: I have noticed that some individual lures just keep catching fish, and better than a fresh one, long after the finish is gone. I think Kira had a blurb about that as well. Has got to be the way it moves thru the water is just a little bit different.

And I hope you have black boots on your Xmas List - it's well after Labor Day.

bill erhardt - 12-13-2014 at 09:26 AM

Santiago.....There's no question that some lures just have what the fish are looking for. This YZ Bonita has probably caught 30 - 40 wahoo over the past couple of years through at least two paint jobs and the loss of significant body weight to the toothy critters, and it still gets hit.

And, thanks for pointing out the lapse in etiquette. Residents of Loreto and Lopez Mateos are very sensitive to such matters, but much too polite to correct a gauche norte americano.

woody with a view - 12-13-2014 at 12:51 PM

friend is on the Excel 16 day coming back up the hill right now. a couple days ago he WHACKED the wahoo! he also got a 294 YFT!!!

[Edited on 12-13-2014 by woody with a view]

bill erhardt - 12-13-2014 at 01:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
friend is on the Excel 16 day coming back up the hill right now. a couple days ago he WHACKED the wahoo! he also got a 294 YFT!!!

Did your friend say where the Excel was when they got the hoos?

churro - 12-13-2014 at 05:28 PM

Great Report! Thanks for posting!

vseasport - 12-14-2014 at 03:06 PM

WTG Bill! It warms my heart to see the tip paid off. I see you had some luck with the Halco GT jig as well. Keep stickin em!

woody with a view - 12-14-2014 at 03:47 PM

Alijos, and Kevin won the jackpot with a 294# YFT!

Quote: Originally posted by bill erhardt  
Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  

Did your friend say where the Excel was when they got the hoos?