BajaNomad

US Surfer-Tourist truck jacked

Pages:  1  

woody with a view - 12-21-2014 at 09:43 AM

how about you copy the story. i don't see it.

Date

bajaguy - 12-21-2014 at 09:51 AM

And when did this happen??

durrelllrobert - 12-21-2014 at 10:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
And when did this happen??

She's a (professional?) photographer and the last photos she posted of Baja was in August 2012.

bajalearner - 12-21-2014 at 10:09 AM

2 things I use when camping are;
a motion sensor alarm that emits a LOUD piercing sound which I place outside the camper. It went off one night on a recent camping trip about 1 am. I didn't see anything which is a good thing. There were plenty of footprints and paw prints around the camp site previously so couldn't figure it out but the alarm sensed something and that something didn't stick around. It only sounded 1 time on the 5 night stay.

Also, I place my aerosol salsa next to me at night (all the time really) so it's handy when I think a guest would like some in his eyes.

Harbor freight sells motion detector alarms. I'm going to place 3 in various directions from now on. Some would chime inside the camper but I like the one that tells the guest he's noticed.

Cliffy - 12-21-2014 at 10:09 AM

Where? What beach?

Whale-ista - 12-21-2014 at 10:10 AM

Thanks for 2nd post- good to know she's doing better.

Where was she camping (what beach?)

This scenario is horrifying. Ever solo camper's worse nightmare. This is One reason I insisted on a locking door when I bought my camper shell, but I realize a determined person w/crowbar could do the same thing.

My 20 lb poodle is a good warning system, but hardly a deterrent to someone who really wants a truck...

Whale-ista - 12-21-2014 at 10:14 AM

I was just looking at motion sensor lights to hang outside for similar reasons. Maybe an alarm would be a good addition to augment the poodle.

Quote: Originally posted by bajalearner  
2 things I use when camping are;
a motion sensor alarm that emits a LOUD piercing sound which I place outside the camper. It went off one night on a recent camping trip about 1 am. I didn't see anything which is a good thing. There were plenty of footprints and paw prints around the camp site previously so couldn't figure it out but the alarm sensed something and that something didn't stick around. It only sounded 1 time on the 5 night stay.

Also, I place my aerosol salsa next to me at night (all the time really) so it's handy when I think a guest would like some in his eyes.

Harbor freight sells motion detector alarms. I'm going to place 3 in various directions from now on. Some would chime inside the camper but I like the one that tells the guest he's noticed.

Couple of things

bajaguy - 12-21-2014 at 10:26 AM

Not to detract from the young lady's experience

Keep your keys with you
Lock the truck
Lock the camper shell from the inside if possible
Keep your valuables in a small backpack in the camper with you
Use the truck remote (if you have one) to activate the panic alarm
Have something that you can use in a confined space to defend yourself or deter anyone from entering

AKgringo - 12-21-2014 at 10:33 AM

I also would like to know, where, what beach?

Hook - 12-21-2014 at 10:54 AM

It hasnt made the conventional press much, but the Mazatlan board recently posted the accounts of TWO hijackings of gringo vehicles on the highway between Culiacan and Maz. Both instances resulted in loss of life; a total of three people. Two were from California. There were very few details like time of day or night. But they were all shot. It came from a newspaper in Sinaloa. Believe it happened in late November or early December. One, I think, was a Canadian.

Not Baja, but desperate people do desperate things, especially around the holidays. And, if accurate, it explodes the myth that the violence is all ratons vs ratons.

Did anyone else hear about these incidents?

rhintransit - 12-21-2014 at 12:18 PM

hasn't made the internet. hasn't made HER time line...last post she did was somewhere arctic. ????

AKgringo - 12-21-2014 at 01:25 PM

I don't want to be insensitive to a victim of a horrible encounter, but an alarming report like this one needs to be corroborated.
We have a date, Nov 31, but WHERE did it happen, and where was the police report filed?
I hate to pry for details about something that most people would want to leave far behind them, but if this story can't be verified, it should be pulled!
Also curious is that the poster is a newbie, with 11 posts (including this one) in over ten years.

bajafzj80 - 12-21-2014 at 01:32 PM

only 30 days in November

AKgringo - 12-21-2014 at 01:37 PM

Good point bajafzj80, but in fairness the date was given with a question mark after it.

Ribbonslinger - 12-21-2014 at 01:54 PM

That is a rough story....

A few of things I do when alone.

1.) Don't leave the camper stairs out at night. It makes it more difficult to crowbar the camper open and you are in a better position to defend yourself.

2.) Point the truck in the direction you have to go if you have to leave at night. Have a slider so you can acces the cab of the truck through the camper.

3.) Have a large German Shepard.

I have used motion detectors in the bush before to protect our food cache from bears when camping but did not think of it for Baja banditos. You can get a lot of false alarms at night though from coyotes, etc. Not to mention you have to open the camper to shut it off. If it had a remote reset switch it would work.

Like AK said, this incident should be confirmed.

mtgoat666 - 12-21-2014 at 03:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I don't want to be insensitive to a victim of a horrible encounter, but an alarming report like this one needs to be corroborated.
We have a date, Nov 31, but WHERE did it happen, and where was the police report filed?
I hate to pry for details about something that most people would want to leave far behind them, but if this story can't be verified, it should be pulled!
Also curious is that the poster is a newbie, with 11 posts (including this one) in over ten years.

This kind of chit happens in Baja and many other places, silly to doubt it or censor it
quick google of this found this website with the story
http://www.youcaring.com/other/let-s-help-out-josie-/274481

If you pulled every thread with unverified info or untruths, the board would be empty.

mtgoat666 - 12-21-2014 at 03:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
It hasnt made the conventional press much, but the Mazatlan board recently posted the accounts of TWO hijackings of gringo vehicles on the highway between Culiacan and Maz. Both instances resulted in loss of life; a total of three people. Two were from California. There were very few details like time of day or night. But they were all shot. It came from a newspaper in Sinaloa. Believe it happened in late November or early December. One, I think, was a Canadian.

Not Baja, but desperate people do desperate things, especially around the holidays. And, if accurate, it explodes the myth that the violence is all ratons vs ratons.

You got a link? What mazatlan board?

AKgringo - 12-21-2014 at 03:47 PM

Goat, the account sounds believable, but the story you repeated was verified by finding a fund raising site?
Again I ask, where did it happen, where was it reported, where was she treated?
Does anyone know any of the people mentioned?
I am not asking for a standard of proof that would hold up in court. This story is either a tragic event for an innocent victim, or it is a scam. I would not like to see this forum used for a scam. If it is legitimate, some one shed some light on this.

[Edited on 12-21-2014 by AKgringo]

sancho - 12-21-2014 at 03:55 PM

There is a certain arrogance here, as if ALL Baja incidents
make this board. I'm quite sure there are many Baja occurances
that don't show here, and many long term Baja Old Hands
that don't check in here several times a day so they don't
miss a post, nor have any need for info posted here

[Edited on 12-21-2014 by sancho]

mtgoat666 - 12-21-2014 at 04:20 PM

Goat, the account sounds believable, but the story you repeated was verified by finding a fund raising site?
Again I ask, where did it happen, where was it reported, where was she treated?
Does anyone know any of the people mentioned?
I am not asking for a standard of proof that would hold up in court. This story is either a tragic event for an innocent victim, or it is a scam. I would not like to see this forum used for a scam. If it is legitimate, some one shed some light on this.

[Edited on 12-21-2014 by AKgringo]

Why does anyone care if the story is "verified?"

I have no reason to doubt it.

And people crowd sourcing for a car purchase to use for skiing and surfing trips are only going to get money from mom, dad and other relatives,... And those people don't need "verification" to give money to their friends and family. Doubtful any stranger is going to fund a ski bum that needs a new truck and some money for beer and weed.

Ateo - 12-21-2014 at 04:39 PM

No insurance I guess.

rhintransit - 12-21-2014 at 04:42 PM

you know, and I don't want to be too cynical here, the second thing I thought after checking the Facebook page, was, hum, bet there's a fund raiser coming, especially with the later board post of the account which included 'there goes my trip to Patagonia.' now as I check back, gee, someone found a fundraising site.
guess every young person out there on world wide endless adventures isn't a trust fund baby...go figure. for most of us such a misfortune would mean going back to work for awhile to recoup, not asking strangers to pitch in with funds.
probably something unfortunate did happen and I am certainly sorry for the young lady, as well as others who go thru such misfortunes. the lack of any other information is puzzling, though.

desertcpl - 12-21-2014 at 05:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rhintransit  
you know, and I don't want to be too cynical here, the second thing I thought after checking the Facebook page, was, hum, bet there's a fund raiser coming, especially with the later board post of the account which included 'there goes my trip to Patagonia.' now as I check back, gee, someone found a fundraising site.
guess every young person out there on world wide endless adventures isn't a trust fund baby...go figure. for most of us such a misfortune would mean going back to work for awhile to recoup, not asking strangers to pitch in with funds.
probably something unfortunate did happen and I am certainly sorry for the young lady, as well as others who go thru such misfortunes. the lack of any other information is puzzling, though.

Ditto

JoeJustJoe - 12-21-2014 at 05:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

This kind of chit happens in Baja and many other places, silly to doubt it or censor it
quick google of this found this website with the story
http://www.youcaring.com/other/let-s-help-out-josie-/274481

If you pulled every thread with unverified info or untruths, the board would be empty.

C'mon Goat, you believe this story even after you found a link for fund raising for Josie?

I have to admit it's a good story, but it sounds made up to me, and if the story is actually true, then Josie doesn't sound very bright. Money and cars can be replaced, but your life can't be replaced.

I don't know about the rest of you, but if a guy is wearing a ski mask, and asking for my car keys, while swinging a baton. I would probably give him the car keys, especially since my car insurance, or "Baja Bound" insurance would take care of the loss. It's also not very smart to get violent with a car thief, especially if he is wearing a ski mask.

Over-the-top stories like this usually come apart in the details, if they're fake stories, because certain parts of the stories usually don't make sense, or they defy beliefs or physical limitations.

If Josie was here, I would have a few question for her. Like why did she leave her car keys in the front cab, while she slept in the back?

Did Josie lock the truck, and if so how would she get back in?

I'm also confused with a few details of the story. OK Josie, jumps out of the cab, but while the other guy, who found the truck keys, drives away the truck with pedal to the metal, did Josie say, she jumped in the open driver's door.

Did Josie jump on the guys lap? Was she inside the cab, or was she half in, or only had her arm inside? How did she fall out of the cab and break her collar bone. I'm also confused how the back tire collided with her shoulder.

Did she get ran over by the truck? If so, I would expect more serious injuries.

I'm sorry, I'm calling BS to the story, especially when you see a fund raising attempt attached to the story.

AKgringo - 12-21-2014 at 05:21 PM

All I wanted to know, is what beach did this happen at? All that detail about the event but no warning to others.
And Jeff, the 11 year newbie, does not come back with any details. He posted the link and says he was there, how about it Jeff, any more detail?
I did not doubt the story at first, but it is beginning to smell.
There are enough surfers in this community that at least word of mouth about an event like this should have spread.
I don't do Facebook, but has anybody gone to her page and asked which beach we should avoid?

brewer - 12-21-2014 at 06:49 PM

All I wanted to know, is what beach did this happen at? All that detail about the event but no warning to others.
And Jeff, the 11 year newbie, does not come back with any details. He posted the link and says he was there, how about it Jeff, any more detail?
I did not doubt the story at first, but it is beginning to smell.
There are enough surfers in this community that at least word of mouth about an event like this should have spread.
I don't do Facebook, but has anybody gone to her page and asked which beach we should avoid?

Smells fishy to me. Lets just bomb her with massive messages on her Facebook page. I'm connected to a lot of surfers that go south. We have not heard of anything like this happening. It would be somewhat big news. I'm starting the barrage now. Everyone drop her a note.

LancairDriver - 12-21-2014 at 06:55 PM

No details whatsoever forthcoming as to where this allegedly happened, which of course would probably turn up a Nomad or two who just happened to be in the area if known, and may ask some unwelcome questions. The "fundraiser" page showed $2,500 already with a goal of $10,000. Sounds like the Patagonia trip is on the way to being funded.The Baja Nomad site is well known for generous donations being successfully solicited for numerous causes, making it a prime target.

brewer - 12-21-2014 at 07:16 PM

Jeff. Check your U2U.

Hook - 12-21-2014 at 07:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  

You got a link? What mazatlan board?

It's the Mazinfo board on Yahoo groups. You have to join to read it. Go for it, and report back, Goat.

It was a c and p of a newspaper account......in Spanish.

But the searching for it may cut down on your time for snarking on the Nomads board.

mtgoat666 - 12-21-2014 at 07:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by jeff  
Sadly the story is true and in some way has changed Baja for me forever,
though I will continue to go when I can.

The beach is one of those secret that's really no secret surf beaches but I won't be the one to name it cause I'm not sure how that could help anyone. In my 25 years of going there small thefts happen but this was just off our radar. I personally drive a POS worn out truck and camper and know no one wants it enough to steal and always had in the back of mind the thought if it all goes wrong I'd bury anything of value in the desert and take the bus home. No big deal.

I only knew Josie 4-5 days before this happened but had dinner with her and some of my longtime friends every night and got to know her a little bit, for her work she works as a "wilderness emergency medical tech" at Yosemite in summertime.

Tell me how to pull this thread and I'll happily do so.

Cheers, Jeff

You secret surfers are a silly bunch, when people ask where this happened, don't care what break, just want to know the area, e.g. Rosarito, Ensenada, san q, 7 sisters, etc.

And If you want to keep surfers away, best way to do so is to advertise the violence.

Btw, it's important to share reports of armed robbery at the beach, people really should be warned away from beaches with armed robbers.

[Edited on 12-22-2014 by mtgoat666]

brewer - 12-21-2014 at 07:53 PM

Don't bother sending that " Josie " a Facebook message. It goes to an " other folder " that she probably never checks. Maybe you have to friend her to get the story.

Tioloco - 12-21-2014 at 07:59 PM

At first read, seems like a bad deal.
After reflecting, I gotta think this is BS.
And I too think if this was real and u still wanted to protect a secret surf spot, divulging the location of this would serve that purpose very well. Having a collection plate attached to this story seals it to me.
BS......
And I don't wear rose colored glasses when it comes to Mexico. I love the place and the people, but am well aware that there are issues.

mtgoat666 - 12-21-2014 at 08:15 PM

Believe what you will, I'm done.

Jeff

Several years ago someone stole my bike, I never thought about starting a website to fund donations for a new bike. Interesting way to fund toy purchases, I may have to try it.
Just need a good story to gain sympathy,.... Will work on that this week!

Josie needs to work on her story. She would get more contributions if she spun a yarn about being an orphan or being responsible for her elderly mother living on SS alone,...

Tioloco - 12-21-2014 at 08:22 PM

Hahaha!
Good one goat!
I was just remembering how many times I have had the chrome valve stem caps stolen off of my rig....
Now I may have the answer... :)

joel - 12-22-2014 at 12:32 AM

Thanks for posting. Appreciate knowing the specifics.

yellowklr - 12-22-2014 at 07:47 AM

name of beach isn't posted because its "secret" surf spot?? What a bunch of BS

If you know where it is post it

ChicaSierra - 12-22-2014 at 08:43 AM

The story is true. I am also a newbie, but I am a girl, so you nomad guys please take it easier on me! I am also really glad Jeff posted this but very disappointed he won't tell the location. None of the surf spots are secret anymore, if you own the Baja surf guide. And it would benefit everyone here to know where the violence is currently occurring. I have been hearing of more problems re: meth, especially around S. Quintin, and avoid the surf spots from El Rosario north for that reason. Someone at camp 'accidentally' picked up a sketcher near Viscaino, he was headed for SQ...YIKES! No hitch hikers is my rule!
Anyhow, I recently got back home to the Sierra from visiting the Sisters and immediately had a friend telling me Josie's tragic story. I don't know her, but I and my friend used to work with Andy, who went to San Diego to pick her up. He doesn't 'know' Baja, but said she was at a point, 8/9 hrs south of the border. I haven't been able to get any more details about the story, so was happy to see Josie's own account here. He said, she travels to Baja at least once a year. Maybe she felt a false sense of security knowing the campsite and other campers around?? And, although, I would have made several decisions differently, my place is not to judge her (that helps no one.) And her friends can do all the fundraisers they want to help replace her vehicle and possessions. Chances are she didn't have comprehensive insurance for Baja...DO YOU?
And just so you all know, some of us newbies don't have the time to hang out on or check the forum throughout the day or have little time to post, but are here mainly to read, learn about others experiences and enjoy the forums (when you all are being nice!)

Brewer - facebook

AKgringo - 12-22-2014 at 09:51 AM

Brewer. When you quote somebody, don't add to it in the same box!
I didn't say anything about bombing her facebook page, I already said I don't use it
All I was asking is for some one who does, to ask for more info. She may not have even been aware that Jeff posted a link to her fundraising site, and she should be able to straighten out the details before it got of of hand (that sometimes happens here)

[Edited on 12-22-2014 by AKgringo]

robbers and BS

captkw - 12-22-2014 at 09:59 AM

WTF is going on with THIS ?????:?:

AKgringo - 12-22-2014 at 10:10 AM

Chicasierra, Thanks for adding your viewpoint, if any of your contacts can fill in some details, some help for Josie might come from this sector. Because the internet and other social media are such a breeding ground for scam artists, it is important to know where it happened, and where it was reported. That is not just to verify, but as a warning to others.
It is a long shot to find her vehicle, but a few thousand set of eyes with a good description wouldn't hurt!

brewer - 12-22-2014 at 10:11 AM

Brewer. When you quote somebody, don't add to it in the same box!
I didn't say anything about bombing here facebook page, I already said I don't use it
All I was asking is for some one who does, to ask for more info. She may not have even been aware that Jeff posted a link to her fundraising site, and she should be able to straighten out the details before it got of of hand (that sometimes happens here)

AKgringo, I screwed up the quote, big deal. I know you don't do Facebook. So I was talking to the others. I tried to get ahold of her on Facebook. No luck. Simply trying to find out the truth to this story. Peace.

4x4abc - 12-22-2014 at 11:43 AM

I suffered major losses during Odile
one of my friends started a fundraiser without my knowledge
well meant - but badly executed
immediately the forums where full of scam accusations
so, in addition to the destruction and chaos, I had to deal with personal attacks
for something I didn't even start
something I did not ask for

so I created a Mexican charity and used the money to help Mexicans who lost more than I did - just to keep my good reputation

fund raisers are a wonderful tool - but they can create more harm than good when organized poorly

the morning after Odile

it was pretty bad!

Nomads can be great source of help/info/support...

Whale-ista - 12-22-2014 at 12:25 PM

ChicaSierra-

FYI- most of the people who use this board are generous, know Baja well, and are willing to help in situations like this.

Please let your network know- many people who use this discussion board have provided help to others during times of need.

If you or your friends are interested in returning to Baja, visit this site before the trip and get to know more about it. It's a great resource, provided by volunteer labor.

Wishing you safe travels, on both sides of the border.

JoeJustJoe - 12-22-2014 at 01:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by LancairDriver  
No details whatsoever forthcoming as to where this allegedly happened, which of course would probably turn up a Nomad or two who just happened to be in the area if known, and may ask some unwelcome questions. The "fundraiser" page showed $2,500 already with a goal of $10,000. Sounds like the Patagonia trip is on the way to being funded.The Baja Nomad site is well known for generous donations being successfully solicited for numerous causes, making it a prime target.

The $2500 dollars, part way goal, is probably just part of a well known practice among people who work for tips at the counter. What you do is place a tip jar on the counter, and then you throw it a couple of dollars, to give the customers the impression, that other customers are leaving tips, so maybe that you also drop a few dollars in the tip jar. Except in this case, they're looking for $10,000 dollars.

Again, the details of the young mountain climber Josie, are just not credible, although a stolen vehicle in either the US or Mexico is very common. The thing about car thieves is they are mostly non-violent criminals, and they don't usually go around wearing a ski masks while shouting "where are the keys, " while wielding a baton at their intended victims. They usually try to steal cars, when nobody is around, especially if they're professional car thieves.

Josie said, she jumped out of the back cab, and quickly jumped in the drivers door that was open. I want to know how she did that when there is a car thief already sitting there.

I also want to know how she was thrown from her vehicle, but somehow only her shoulder was hit by the rear tire. You would think if the vehicle was going fast, that when she was thrown from her truck, she would have been thrown clean, however if she got caught under the tires, she could have been killed, dragged, or injured very badly.

Why wasn't she screaming at the top of her lungs when she first noticed the car thieves were trying to steal her car?

What's also not credible, is newbies coming to "Baja Nomad' which looks like a vested interest, to tell us the incident actually happened, when they weren't there either. And to top that off, they don't want to give the exact location.

Of course not all newbies, are liars, and scam artists, but they just don't have any credibly, because they have no track record of even posting on this site, and personally I look at what newbies say very carefully, because they have no track record.

Hey, I was once a newbie, and Dennis, MtGoat, and a few others game me all kinds of hell, but I didn't mind, because at the time they knew nothing about me. Newbies have to earn their respect like everyone else, but when they come to a forum, with an outrageous tale, on their very first few posts, you have to wonder about that.

I can't wait till 2024, when Jeff comes back with another wild tale.

I'm also personally insulted about a fund raising attempt over a stolen vehicle, where the participants want full replacement value of the vehicle from the charitable givers,( suckers)

I had three vehicles stolen in my life time, and nobody raised money to replace what I lost, and my car insurance didn't cover my full lost. If I was out in Baja, and had my car and cash stolen, I would hope, people would raise a few pesos for a bus ride home, but I wouldn't expect or want them to replace the full value of the stolen car.

[Edited on 12-22-2014 by JoeJustJoe]

dtbushpilot - 12-22-2014 at 02:23 PM

What Joe said x2....

sancho - 12-22-2014 at 02:27 PM

Vehicle thieves described as non violent is totally inaccurate,
one doesn't have to go too far back here to remember an ugly
incident involving a BN on San Q. To me, having credibility
when posting here, revolves around time spent SOB,
not one's BN status or one' s perceived acceptance by long
standing BN posters

[Edited on 12-22-2014 by sancho]

woody with a view - 12-22-2014 at 03:12 PM

it's like religion, either you have blind faith or you don't.

give to this instead: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=75878

pappy - 12-22-2014 at 05:47 PM

some things don't add up- a truck came roaring in next to mine-hmmm. usually the el gato noche operate real quite like on foot- roaring in doesn't seem like a smart plan especially where others are camped around.- she mentions cobble stones and sierra said a point 8-9 hours below border. I dunno, maybe the wall ....plus she smacked the guy and didn't get her ass kicked?

brewer - 12-22-2014 at 07:48 PM

Original post deleted. BS. Even chicasierra, who said the story is true, doesn't know where it happened. Josie conned everyone. Nice story.

Chupacabra - 12-22-2014 at 09:26 PM

I camp alone often, and one thing I always do is bring extra chairs with me. Three or four chairs set around the fire ring give the impression of others in the vicinity who are unaccounted for.

Another thing I do is lock my passport, wallet and other valuables in a vehicle safe. I do this in the US as well when I'm out surfing to thwart car burglars. I use this, but there are other brands:

http://store.winner-intl.com/the-club-personal-vault-p68.asp...

mtgoat666 - 12-22-2014 at 09:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by brewer  
Original post deleted. BS. Even chicasierra, who said the story is true, doesn't know where it happened. Josie conned everyone. Nice story.

It wasn't just Josie McKee. Jeff was working with Josie. Grifters? Assuming the story was a scam, but don't know that for sure,... Another Baja mystery, truthiness eludes us,...
But given that the pitch for $$$ was not very cunning, I think the story is true, and the details perhaps embellished or clouded by fog of time.
There are a lot of criminals everywhere, and even remote fish camps at seven sisters area have meth heads hanging about.

Peace, love and fish tacos!

Peace out!

brewer - 12-22-2014 at 09:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by brewer  

It wasn't just Josie McKee. Jeff was working with Josie. Grifters? burrouming the story was a scam, but don't know that for sure,... Another Baja mystery, truthiness eludes us,...
But given that the pitch for $$$ was not very cunning, I think the story is true, and the details perhaps embellished or clouded by fog of time.
There are a lot of criminals everywhere, and even remote fish camps at seven sisters area have meth heads hanging about.

Peace, love and fish tacos!

Peace out!

It's a mystery for sure. But why do you think it's true? Clouded by fog of time? It apparently happened on Nov.30th/Dec.1st.

MMc - 12-22-2014 at 09:52 PM

I love how reality has nothing to do with this site at times. We go down our own road not caring about reality, just building our own little worlds. It's good in mine how about you?

AKgringo - 12-22-2014 at 10:01 PM

I wasn't going to give this thread any extra life since the origninal post was deleted, but here are my final thoughts.
There isn't much fog of time, less than three weeks is what Jeff reported. My gut feeling is that he wasn't a witness or conspirator, but heard the story (probably on facebook) and was trying to help an acquaintence.
Josies story, I don't know what to think! I will bet she had no clue it would wind up on this forum, but she must know about it by now, yet no details about the location, or about the truck and other items stolen. Did she report her passport stolen? I believe something happened to her, but not the story I read here.
I'm done with this.

jeff - 12-22-2014 at 10:39 PM

I wish I could think of a reasonable way to respond to all of this but for the life of me I can't.

I just got back to the US on Thursday 18th Dec. and thought it it really odd that I couldn't find a word on this via Google, went to my Facebook page Jeff Lyon, looked up Josie and there was her story plus or minus as I heard it the morning after it happened, which I posted here. The funding part I didn't get to before I posted it and yes I could see how that could be seen as a scam, that however really is a separate issue from the facts. What happened is what happened.

I refused-refuse to name the beach, again that really makes no difference to the facts, I could have said any beach but where it happened dose not change what happened. In a PM I told a Nomad at what beach this happened and was called BS yet again.

I'm sure it will all come out after the holidays and like the campfire story the facts wil be all over the place, but the essence will stil be the same.

For what it is worth I've had no contact with Josie and didn't expect to until our paths crossed at maybe that magical place that is Baja. So yes she had no idea I posted this here and doubt she even knew Bajanomad exists.

For me I'm just a loooooooooong time lurker that has been here since Bajaamigo days.

Jeff

this is BS

captkw - 12-22-2014 at 11:12 PM

what the hell is WRONG with you ?? the name of said beach should/needs to be made public or to hell with this "story"....as a fellow human/travel nut and beach/surf/fish/dive/ocean nut..if this is a real story..there is no good reason to play this game..Do Tell Why you think you cant/wont tell us the name of the beach..give 1 damn reason..is that Too much to ASK !! btw..IF and that's a big IF this true and someone else gets hurt...it's on your head...safety for travel folks is paramount and you seem be playing with that golden rule among men !!

[Edited on 12-23-2014 by captkw]

jeff - 12-22-2014 at 11:22 PM

Capt am sure it was a "lightning never strikes twice" sceniro, I've been going there 25 years and the guys that took me there another 10-15 years, this is a first in all those years. The public doesn't go there, a few surfers do. This is anything but a "game" your words and truly I'm sorry I posted it as am sure all the 2nd, 3rd and 4th hand stories will come out after the holidays.

Jeff

mtgoat666 - 12-22-2014 at 11:37 PM

Capt am sure it was a "lightning never strikes twice" sceniro, I've been going there 25 years and the guys that took me there another 10-15 years, this is a first in all those years. The public doesn't go there, a few surfers do. This is anything but a "game" your words and truly I'm sorry I posted it as am sure all the 2nd, 3rd and 4th hand stories will come out after the holidays.

Jeff

robbers on meth stick to what works. Lightening does strike twice. Why do you want the next guy to die?

sufers bs

captkw - 12-22-2014 at 11:49 PM

Hola,,my home in the states is "surf city usa" done charters on my boats (n to s) big flat,,the ranch,,all over mexico ...oliys point...witch's rock !! so I know the childish secret spot bs.....sounds like the guys from "cuatro Casas" gang ??? I will know in a few days the skinny on this..btw..Baja has been my domain since 77 and I have family grow up there...the noose is getting tight for these thiefs and Its not there 1st time..same M.O. working out of S.Q. Jeff, its very seldom that I say "I hope I never meet you...and so do you.....Keith ford

jeff - 12-22-2014 at 11:53 PM

I've never spoke-written about a surf beach on the internet and never will. If the next guy is forwarned-prepared he won't die unless they (Methers) get guns then all bets are off. Josie wasn't prepared and in my mind it was a perfect storm AND she had a valueable to them truck (Toyota 4x4) and they knew they could get away in it.

Jeff

jeff - 12-22-2014 at 11:57 PM

Please explain the threat Keith.

Jeff

yellowklr - 12-23-2014 at 07:14 AM

Jeff you and your "secret" surf beaches are so out of touch

Get over yourself…..These beaches aren't a "secret" they are just out of the way and for most not worth the trouble to get to…

People on the Net use to threaten me not to post fishing reports for La Salina for the same crazy reason…..yeah cause the Salina harbor is a secret lol

mtgoat666 - 12-23-2014 at 08:16 AM

I've never spoke-written about a surf beach on the internet and never will.

Jeff

:lol:

Come back here when you grow up

daveyjoans - 12-23-2014 at 10:06 AM

AS you can see, I don't post often, but I'll throw in my 2 cents. We met a couple that was there during this a few days after it happened. They gave us a first hand account of it, said it was over in just a few minutes, it did happen as she told it. I'm a life long surfer, and this was at no secret surf spot. I do feel others should know where it happened. It was at the Wall. We have been going there for years and have never heard of anything like that there before. Just want others to be aware if they go there, maybe tighten your security for now. Dave.

TMW - 12-23-2014 at 10:47 AM

The Surfer's Guide to Baja, page 78 and 79. Oops

AKgringo - 12-23-2014 at 11:03 AM

Thank you Daveyjoans! That is information I have been looking for over the last four pages.
I am not a surfer, could anyone in that circle tell me what the communities it is close to?

pappy - 12-23-2014 at 11:08 AM

Like I said cobblestones made me think immediately of the wall plus campers were spread out quite a ways plus there are always people there plus it is easy to get to.

TMW - 12-23-2014 at 11:08 AM

Since I'm already in trouble with the surfers I might as well. It's at Punta Rosarito south of Santa Rosalillita.

pappy - 12-23-2014 at 11:10 AM

Don't worry it's in no way a secret friggin motor homes go in there

David K - 12-23-2014 at 11:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Since I'm already in trouble with the surfers I might as well. It's at Punta Rosarito south of Santa Rosalillita.

:lol:

National Geographic 2008 Maps point out the Seven Sisters. Punta Rosarito is the bottom-most one >>>

TMW - 12-23-2014 at 11:26 AM

Now you did it DK, we're both taboo. I need to find a 4 leaf clover or rabbits foot.

mtgoat666 - 12-23-2014 at 11:34 AM

Quote: Originally posted by daveyjoans  
AS you can see, I don't post often, but I'll throw in my 2 cents. We met a couple that was there during this a few days after it happened. They gave us a first hand account of it, said it was over in just a few minutes, it did happen as she told it. I'm a life long surfer, and this was at no secret surf spot. I do feel others should know where it happened. It was at the Wall. We have been going there for years and have never heard of anything like that there before. Just want others to be aware if they go there, maybe tighten your security for now. Dave.

somebody should tell jeff that the wall ain't a secret, everyone and their mother knows about it and has been there :lol::lol:

solo camping may not be best. safety in numbers.

JoeJustJoe - 12-23-2014 at 12:16 PM

From the way the trip report reads, there were no eyewitness first hand reports, that actually witnessed the truck hijacking at 1 AM where the campers were spread out from each other.

Not even Jeff, admits he actually seen what happened, he just says he knows it's true.

At best the couple you talked to would have a second hand account, and after they talk to you, it makes it a third hand report.

There is no court of law that would accept third hand hearsay as fact.

"Baja Nomad" is not a court of law, but cases of pubic opinion are often tried on the pages of "Baja Nomad," and my opinion the story is fabricated in an attempt to get money from older ex-pats, on "Baja Nomad." It's strange Josie"s story, isn't posted in more places, than just two places, as far as I could see. But maybe it's making it's rounds on "Facebook."

BTW on Josie's Facebook page, she talks about needing new struts for her vehicle last year, and if you need new struts, most likely the vehicle has many miles and years on the car/truck, most likely the vehicle has between 50,000 to 100,000 miles, and mostly like the truck isn't even worth $10,000 dollars which is the amount they are trying to raise.

mtgoat666 - 12-23-2014 at 12:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  

From the way the trip report reads, there were no eyewitness first hand reports, that actually witnessed the truck hijacking at 1 AM where the campers were spread out from each other.

Not even Jeff, admits he actually seen what happened, he just says he knows it's true.

At best the couple you talked to would have a second hand account, and after they talk to you, it makes it a third hand report.

There is no court of law that would accept third hand hearsay as fact.

"Baja Nomad" is not a court of law, but cases of pubic opinion are often tried on the pages of "Baja Nomad," and my opinion the story is fabricated in an attempt to get money from older ex-pats, on "Baja Nomad." It's strange Josie"s story, isn't posted in more places, than just two places, as far as I could see. But maybe it's making it's rounds on "Facebook."

BTW on Josie's Facebook page, she talks about needing new struts for her vehicle last year, and if you need new struts, most likely the vehicle has many miles and years on the car/truck, most likely the vehicle has between 50,000 to 100,000 miles, and mostly like the truck isn't even worth $10,000 dollars which is the amount they are trying to raise.

joe,
you should change your stage name to JoeJudgeJoe

p.s. i do think josie got her truck stolen as told in the story. crazy chit happens, though it is new to hear about violent robberies at the el rosario/seven sisters area,....
it's a very rural area and the local towns are small, but it likely locals.
sounds like it was a crime of opportunity when meth heads saw a solo female camper -- really makes you think camping in boonies is safer in numbers

merlin - 12-23-2014 at 12:56 PM

so many so quick to pass judgement…

BooJumMan - 12-23-2014 at 04:47 PM

Interesting. I had a buddy at the Wall during that time and he didn't mention anything besides the 50 other campers there. Interesting though.

Chupacabra - 12-23-2014 at 05:11 PM

Top ten super-duper, double-extra secret spots in Baja:

1. K38

2. San Miguel

3. Punta San Jose

4. Quatros Casas

5. Shipwrecks/Freighters

6. The Wall

7. Abreojos

8. Conejo

9. Cerritos

10. Zippers

These are all top-secret spots that nobody knows about. Never ever mention them, even to help out a friend in need.

shari - 12-23-2014 at 05:19 PM

wow that is very surprising as the wall is...well...out there and pretty popular this time of year. It is not really a place where meth heads would just be hangin around...very strange and disconcerting for sure as it is so remote. I doubt it was locals as the villages are soooo small, someone would notice a stolen truck unless they took it directly to Ensenada to sell.

So head up everyone who remote camps in "that area"...I like the motion sensor idea but everyone has dogs that would set it off right.

Tod - 12-23-2014 at 07:05 PM

Last year when we camped there shortly after arriving at our camp spot we were approached by a Mexican who was ripped, as in super defined arms. He said he provided water and firewood and my buddy gave him some pesos to bring it by....which never happened. Has anyone else seen this guy and if so is he somewhat legit?

It made me nervous for leaving our campers to go fish/surf with my wife left alone. He gave me a weird feeling but maybe I was just overreacting.

Josie sounds like she was targeted as female and alone.

woody with a view - 12-23-2014 at 07:10 PM

maybe the Mexicans have learned of the name of one of the zones at the wall, called Wimps and Gimps, and figure it is easy pickins?

brewer - 12-23-2014 at 09:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
maybe the Mexicans have learned of the name of one of the zones at the wall, called Wimps and Gimps, and figure it is easy pickins?

Whoa Woody,.........yea.

redmesa - 12-23-2014 at 09:36 PM

I just heard on the news today that in Surrey, British Columbia a woman was car jacked and the car ran in a ditch and the perp jacked another car with a baby in it. They got the guy and the baby was okay. This chit happens everywhere. Desperadoes doing desperate acts.

gnukid - 12-23-2014 at 09:47 PM

I camp up and down Baja to surf. This sounds like a Canadian Surf Thief Gang. Watch out. Warning- Don't tell Canadians about secret spots.

bajabuddha - 12-23-2014 at 11:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Tod  
Last year when we camped there shortly after arriving at our camp spot we were approached by a Mexican who was ripped, as in super defined arms. He said he provided water and firewood and my buddy gave him some pesos to bring it by....which never happened. Has anyone else seen this guy and if so is he somewhat legit?

It made me nervous for leaving our campers to go fish/surf with my wife left alone. He gave me a weird feeling but maybe I was just overreacting.

Josie sounds like she was targeted as female and alone.

Errm, lemme get this straight. A local came by and said, ''give me money and i'll bring you....... whatever........"

And you did?

And he never came back?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

chippy - 12-24-2014 at 05:10 AM

Dude you left out the NUMERO UNO alltime secret spot on the Baja Peninsula. Scorps bro:P

Quote: Originally posted by Chupacabra  
Top ten super-duper,
double-extra secret spots in Baja:

1. K38

2. San Miguel

3. Punta San Jose

4. Quatros Casas

5. Shipwrecks/Freighters

6. The Wall

7. Abreojos

8. Conejo

9. Cerritos

10. Zippers

These are all top-secret spots that nobody knows about. Never ever mention them, even to help out a friend in need.

abitterclinger - 12-28-2014 at 10:47 AM

I was at the Wall just prior to this alleged event, came back home just before Thanksgiving and will check with others i know who were still there.

While I was there there was some thievery going on. During the middle of the night a vehicle drove in and several camps had several wetsuits taken, food stolen from coolers etc. We notified the powers that exist in Rosarito figuring that someone would notice new wetsuits around town.

mtgoat666 - 12-28-2014 at 10:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by abitterclinger  
I was at the Wall just prior to this alleged event, came back home just before Thanksgiving and will check with others i know who were still there.

While I was there there was some thievery going on. During the middle of the night a vehicle drove in and several camps had several wetsuits taken, food stolen from coolers etc. We notified the powers that exist in Rosarito figuring that someone would notice new wetsuits around town.

What makes you think the local "powers" care about theft from surfers?
That town has had a bad vibe since the failed marina went in. Just repeating what my spidey sense tells me...

Bajaahh - 12-31-2014 at 09:36 PM

Good God, I just wasted 20 minutes of my life reading this all the way to page 5!
That being said, I set up a charity page so that you can donate $10,000 to me for that time....:light:

abitterclinger - 1-2-2015 at 04:52 PM

story is true. Mexicans came in at night while she was asleep in the shell camper in back. There was a struggle, the truck was taken and she suffered some injuries as a result

Goyo - 1-2-2015 at 10:28 PM

I was in the general area shortly after the incident occurred. I spoke with several different people who had come from The Wall. Not one person mentioned the incident. Because I was camping solo, they surely would have relayed the story to me as a general safety heads up. Also, with Glen Horn taking up residence at the Wall every winter, he would have known about the incident and most likely helped others by warning them to be careful. The story is hard to believe considering all the surfers that hang out down there these days. If it happened as claimed, there would be a lot more commotion about it in the blogosphere. I'm still doubting Thomas and it would take a credible report to convince me.

mtgoat666 - 1-3-2015 at 06:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Goyo  
If it happened as claimed, there would be a lot more commotion about it in the blogosphere.

Interesting how you think that proving truthiness is based on how many people blogged about it. I don't agree. But I am fascinated that some look to the Internet and blogs, Facebook, Twitter and discussion boards for truth.

BooJumMan - 1-3-2015 at 09:55 AM

It really isn't that surprising something like this would happen. Just drove through to check out the Wall this last week to see what the scene was like and wow... If I were a local I'd probably rip off the surfers too. Lots and lots of goons. Never ending stream of them. I'm generalizing of course but...wow. Sad. It was funny to see so many places empty as can be yet everyone just floods one spot. Sheeps! :D

BajaBlanca - 1-3-2015 at 09:56 AM

well, the story rings true to me, for no good reason other than it rings true to me.

and fair warning to all - take into heed some of the excellent advice posted= extra chairs around and alarm systems that rind very loud so your neighbors can hear.

surfcolorado - 1-3-2015 at 10:29 AM

Hello all, first time posting but long time Baja traveler. I had to respond to this post. Wow, lots of nonbelievers here. This incident sadly enough did happen, pretty much as described. I received the story first hand from Josie about 15 minutes after it happened. So, yes, stuff like this can happen. Hindsight says yes, all those extra safety precautions are important., and if you are gonna hang at the Wall, be extra prepared. Seems like things are changing for the worse, the meth problem is getting worse, and spreading to more rural places like nuevo rosarito.
Anyway, safe surf travels to all!

shari - 1-3-2015 at 11:40 AM

I am very grateful the location was posted as it is very important to know where these problems are occurring if we want them addressed. Dont think for a minute that the locals arent concerned about this issue...they are as they are also at risk...tweakers dont give a rats burro who they steal from...easier the better.

JoeJustJoe - 1-3-2015 at 11:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by redmesa  
I just heard on the news today that in Surrey, British Columbia a woman was car jacked and the car ran in a ditch and the perp jacked another car with a baby in it. They got the guy and the baby was okay. This chit happens everywhere. Desperadoes doing desperate acts.

Did the British Columbia women, set up a pay pal account, and ask for donations to replace her car that got jacked, and then a little extra, like Josie or her friends? ( it's unlikely the truck is even worth $10,000 dollars like they are seeking)

Regarding the "one post' wonders, that come to "Baja Nomad" to tell us it's true that Josie, that Josie was car jacked, after taking on a hooded car bandito wearing a ski mask, while wielding a baton, and also being injured when she jumped in the driver side door, to only being thrown from the vehicle, but somehow, broke her collar bone, when the back tire hit her. ( some of the things in the story, sound physically impossible)

Did any of you "one post" wonders, actually witness the event first hand?

Why should we believe a first time poster, who never posted here before, and has no track record of any other posts? Yet, comes here to only report, something is truthful.

Oh BTW meth, is probably not the drug of choice anymore, for sure not in the USA, because it's getting too hard to make, with the crack down on the ingredients to make meth, so the junkies are turning to other drugs, like Heroin, which is now the drug of choice among junkies. I don't know this for sure, but I suspect, meth usage is way down in Mexico too, because both countries, Mexico and the US abuse similar drugs.

Most Hardcore drug users, are also usually found in urban areas of big cities and the suburbs in both Mexico and the USA, and they would less likely be found in the small towns, or camping ground, but I guess they could also be anywhere.

[Edited on 1-3-2015 by JoeJustJoe]

willardguy - 1-3-2015 at 11:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  
Quote: Originally posted by redmesa  

Did the British Columbia women, set up a pay pal account, and ask for donations to replace her car that got jacked, and then a little extra, like Josie or her friends? ( it's unlikely the truck is even worth $10,000 dollars like they are seeking)

Regarding the "one post' wonders, that come to "Baja Nomad" to tell us it's true that Josie, that Josie was car jacked, after taking on a hooded car bandito wearing a ski mask, while wielding a baton, and also being injured when she jumped in the driver side door, to only being thrown from the vehicle, but somehow, broke her collar bone, when the back tire hit her. ( some of the things in the story, sound physically impossible)

Did any of you "one post" wonders, actually witness the event first hand?

Why should we believe a first time poster, who never posted here before, and has no track record of any other posts? Yet, comes here to only report, something is truthful.

Oh BTW meth, is probably not the drug of choice anymore, for sure not in the USA, because it's getting too hard to make, with the crack down on the ingredients to make meth, so the junkies are turning to other drugs, like Heroin, which is now the drug of choice among junkies. I don't know this for sure, but I suspect, meth usage is way down in Mexico too, because both countries, Mexico and the US abuse similar drugs.

Most Hardcore drug users, are also usually found in urban areas of big cities and the suburbs in both Mexico and the USA, and they would less likely be found in the small towns, or camping ground, but I guess they could also be anywhere.

[Edited on 1-3-2015 by JoeJustJoe]

what was YOUR first post? should we just assume it too was a lie?

shari - 1-3-2015 at 12:03 PM

FYI Joe...meth is still very popular in rural mexico and THE root of petty crime in the crime free areas of the past in our area.

elgatoloco - 1-3-2015 at 12:08 PM

Number of posts does not equate to credibility or knowledge or believability IMEO. Being somewhat familiar (I do actually travel to Baja on occasion) with the changing social/economic 'climate' and ever increasing drug use problem in Mexico in general and BAJA in particular I have no problem believing that the incident happened as reported and I appreciate those taking the time to login and do so.
I use great caution to not take everything I read on the interwebs as gospel but try to use the little bit of experience and common sense that I posses to parse out what I take in and formulate my own opinion.

JJJ - do you ever travel south of TJ? Me thinks you have you head up your ass.

willardguy - 1-3-2015 at 12:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by elgatoloco  
Number of posts does not equate to credibility or knowledge or believability IMEO. Being somewhat familiar (I do actually travel to Baja on occasion) with the changing social/economic 'climate' and ever increasing drug use problem in Mexico in general and BAJA in particular I have no problem believing that the incident happened as reported and I appreciate those taking the time to login and do so.
I use great caution to not take everything I read on the interwebs as gospel but try to use the little bit of experience and common sense that I posses to parse out what I take in and formulate my own opinion.

JJJ - do you ever travel south of TJ? Me thinks you have you head up your ass.

I like your edit!;) hey! we can say ass again!

[Edited on 1-3-2015 by willardguy]

Pages:  1