BajaNomad

PESO TODAY

DENNIS - 12-22-2014 at 10:44 AM

Now:

14.6614 to one

brewer - 12-22-2014 at 10:46 AM

Wow...so it's better to try and pay with dollars these days?

woody with a view - 12-22-2014 at 11:07 AM

no, pay with pesos ALWAYS.

when you trade dollars for pesos you get the best rate, otherwise the rate is dictated by the merchant which only favors him/her.

DENNIS - 12-22-2014 at 11:30 AM

What Woody says. Why turn a restaurant bill into an international transaction? Keep it simple.

ncampion - 12-22-2014 at 12:14 PM

At the ATM in Loreto I got 14.505 today. That is the actual exchange rate that my bank gave, not just a published rate.

EnsenadaDr - 12-22-2014 at 12:23 PM

well I say no matter how high the peso goes, the Mexicans will adjust for inflation. However now's the time to scramble to get your deals in pesos before they start making adjustments.

Sweetwater - 12-22-2014 at 12:41 PM

No matter how you slice it, the strength of the dollar vs the peso does not benefit Mexico at any level. It's a huge run up and it's projected to stay high for a longer period of time.....the lack of stability relative to the past 10 years has got to be outrageous for anyone who lives on pesos....and it's supposed to continue.

Edit: Just read the following explanation....currency war is on......

Quote:

Companies and governments in emerging markets have borrowed in dollars because of the ultralow interest rates available, but they earn the money to pay those loans back in local currencies. If the local currency is dropping significantly faster than the dollar, then no matter how profitable a business is, it is sinking deeper into debt with every tick up in the dollar.

[Edited on 12-22-2014 by Sweetwater]

güero - 12-22-2014 at 03:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  

when you trade dollars for pesos you get the best rate, otherwise the rate is dictated by the merchant which only favors him/her.

Woody,
I wouldn't say "ALWAYS." I live in North Baja and carry both pesos and dollars. Some of the merchants offer a better "tipo de cambio" than the bank just to get your business & dollars, especially some of the supermarkets.

Hook - 12-22-2014 at 06:47 PM

I would love to see what forecasts.org's prediction was on the price of oil, six months ago.

woody with a view - 12-22-2014 at 06:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by güero  

Woody,
I wouldn't say "ALWAYS." I live in North Baja and carry both pesos and dollars. Some of the merchants offer a better "tipo de cambio" than the bank just to get your business & dollars, especially some of the supermarkets.

yes, I understand. all other times pay in pesos for the best bang for your buck.

durrelllrobert - 12-23-2014 at 12:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by güero  

Woody,
Right now most of the PEMEX stations in Ensenada are quoting tipo de cambio at 14.65 P/$. So if your bill is 1,465 pesos it only costs you $100. If you used that same $100 to get pesos from an ATM in Ensenada you probably would only get a little over 1400 after you pay the MX bank's commission.

Russ - 12-23-2014 at 01:21 PM

I got $14.14 in the bank in Mulege this afternoon.

baconjr - 12-23-2014 at 03:39 PM

Here is the link to Mexico's official exchange rate. http://www.sat.gob.mx/Paginas/Inicio.aspx
In the 1970's I worked for a Peso /Gold trader in the exchanges in Chicago and with a International trading giant. With the falling oil prices a devaluation of the peso might be in the offering. It is a bear knuckle business, no time to have a lot of money in pesos. My boss was short 2 peso contracts and when they devalued the currency he made $250,000. Prepare for a ride.

Howard - 12-23-2014 at 04:21 PM

I received 14.54 at the ATM in Loreto last Saturday.

DENNIS - 12-24-2014 at 08:04 AM

Today....7-AM

Sweetwater - 12-24-2014 at 10:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
I would love to see what forecasts.org's prediction was on the price of oil, six months ago.

Quote:

FFC's Accuracy* Over the Past 50 Months: U.S. Stock Indexes: 97.9% Accurate. International Stock Indexes: 97.8% Accurate. Interest Rates: 4 Basis Point Error. Exchange Rates: 99.2% Accurate. Prices: 98.0% Accurate. Economics: 99.0% Accurate.

They are a subscription service and that's their claimed success...click them up and decide for yourself.....

Howard - 1-1-2015 at 01:39 AM

14.718 at the ATM in Loreto on 12/31.

rts551 - 1-1-2015 at 02:11 AM

Who cares about the peso. what a great New Years Dance tonight. Reserved table 150 pesos. did not worry about dollars.

HAPPY NEW YEAR.

MitchMan - 1-1-2015 at 01:29 PM

My fido fee due in January has always been stated in USD from the beginning. When I recently asked them what it would be in Pesos, they used a really crappy rate not in my favor at all and not reflective of the ATMs. The Mexican people may not be savvy financially, but they know what specifically benefits them.

Good business practice; can't blame them for maximizing their value legally. It's also the American way.

aguachico - 1-1-2015 at 04:44 PM

really peees me off paying for services in Mexico that have a fixed dollar rate. If there's one thing pin che Nieto and his bobos could do is mandate all prices be fixed in pesos.

ncampion - 1-2-2015 at 09:21 AM

I agree with the aguachico, I don't see why any price in Mexico is fixed in dollars. I always ask for the price in pesos, although my fido fee is in dollars and they wouldn't even quote me a price in pesos (this was five years ago).

BTW it's not the weak peso that is causing the climb in exchange rate, it's the strong dollar. The US dollar is up against just about every currency in the world right now.

Sweetwater - 1-5-2015 at 04:36 PM

As oil drops and the dollar strengthens, I think we'll see 15 this week....I hope you get paid in USDollars.....

USD-MXN 14.9480 0.1096 0.74% 16:51

chuckie - 1-5-2015 at 05:41 PM

MY dad was a Bishop in the church of the I J D M......It just don't matter....Its mexico, pay in pesos...geez, much ado about NADA....

bajabuddha - 1-5-2015 at 06:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
MY dad was a Bishop in the church of the I J D M......It just don't matter....Its mexico, pay in pesos...geez, much ado about NADA....

Double-Ditto. Yakkity-yack. Price stickers still go up; all balances out, EXCEPT for local's wages. Tip more.

Hook - 1-5-2015 at 07:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ncampion  
I agree with the aguachico, I don't see why any price in Mexico is fixed in dollars. I always ask for the price in pesos, although my fido fee is in dollars and they wouldn't even quote me a price in pesos (this was five years ago).

BTW it's not the weak peso that is causing the climb in exchange rate, it's the strong dollar. The US dollar is up against just about every currency in the world right now.

And you wonder why some businesses fix prices in dollars, after saying this?

Because they hope you will pay in actual dollars, which are much more valuable. And if you decide to ask for the peso equivalent, they will stick you with a bad exchange rate, and pocket the difference.

Yes, pay in pesos, but do your own exchange. And be smart about how you do the exchange.

Almost 15 to 1 right now.........

aguachico - 1-5-2015 at 09:08 PM

All businesses should have a fixed peso rate for goods and services.

It should be a political mandate because mexican people are paid in pesos and not dollars. The income they receive is not adjusted to the dollar.

I hear businesses say, "a large percentage of our customers are from the US, so we have a fixed rate in dollars" That is the biggest bunch of crap. They can do the conversion from dollars to pesos and visa-versa.

Some services based from ensenada and north quote their services in dollars and it's a ripoff. I would like to see, just briefly, the peso go strong, 9:1 or 8:1 and then see what those businesses do the their fixed dollar rate and their sudden excuse for changing it.

Better yet, businesses posting the dollar rate need to say say this rate was based on the a peso rate of x:x on date x/x/xxxx.
yeah right...

Got 14.7 again last night.

Hook - 1-5-2015 at 09:15 PM

I believe it IS a legal mandate in Mexico, that prices be shown in pesos.

But it's like SOOOOO many things in Mexico; who is going to enforce it?

Hook - 1-6-2015 at 08:23 AM

Crude cratering again, today. Down in the 48s, right now. Could these unbelievable predictions of 30.00/barrel be true??

But the peso seems to hit a ceiling near 15 and then backs off............at least for now. Looney getting pummeled again.

Ten year note back below 2.00%. WOW!!!

If you have dollars, it's looking to be a good year to travel, internationally. Airlines should begin reducing some fares, as competition takes over. I dont think I would be booking any expensive flights right now. Prices could be less, later in the year.

I'm thinking Argentina, Buenos Aires, Mendoza Valley.............dollar is near yearly highs against the Argentinian peso.

Sure would be nice to see Catena Zapatas and Altas come down a bit. :yes:

MitchMan - 1-6-2015 at 11:10 AM

The internet Visa credit card exchange rate and the internet Mexican government exchange rate are identical today: 14.9469.

Airfare prices in the upcoming future will be an interesting case and illustration of how markets behave in the real world. One of my economics professors did his dissertation on airline pricing and he used airline pricing to illustrate to us students how pricing in markets actually works.

One thing to know is that prices are determined by markets and not by cost to produce a product. Prices are set at levels that maximize profits. There have been times when businesses or entire industries for that matter do not always know what the actual consumer demand is at a given price. Another way to say that is, sometimes industries guess wrong about how much they can sell a product at different prices.

When gasoline prices jumped as the result of the oil crises of 1973 and 1979, the industry saw just how "inelastic" the demand for gasoline and oil products were which means that the industry saw that even if they set prices high, people were still willing to buy almost as much oil product as when the prices were much lower. REMEMBER that those two crises in 1973 and 1979 were not caused because the cost to produce oil jumped by 4 to 10 times from one day to the next but because OPEC arbitrarily reduced production and increased prices reacting to geopolitical events only.

Once the industry learned that they could get those high prices, pricing, for the most part changed to much higher levels for the future...not because of cost to produce. Same thing with coffee, in the early 2000s, the price of coffee at specialty shops exposed the public's willingness to pay really high prices.

For the last 10 years, the airlines have used the high price of fuel to justify raising rates, particularly recently. Now that the excuse of high priced fuel has evaporated, don't think for one minute that the price of airfares will change in proportion to reduced costs of fuel.

The airlines have gained great knowledge about what people will pay, that is, the airlines are better familiar with the exact "demand curve" of us consumers (demand, as in 'demand and supply' is actually a curve, not a static point or static price). They have ingeniously employed multipart pricing with a little bit of divide and conquer to start charging for things that they never charged extra for before. Don't expect that to disappear either.

Business is business, and that is the American way. It is a reflection of pure self-interest inherent in laissez-faire capitalism. That is the mission and sole agenda of business in America and in the world.

It's all perfectly legal; our laws were purposely constructed to allow it.

Caveat emptor.

[Edited on 1-6-2015 by MitchMan]

Sweetwater - 1-6-2015 at 02:58 PM

Well, my 87 yo dad is still running his church....and he continues to explain that his life style is important to him so paying attention is fundamental to that religion.

The peso is off by about 15% over the past 4 months which stings if you are paid in pesos. The ruble is off over 35% over that same time....and that's what is predicted for the peso. If the exchange hits 19 per USD, that's devastating (that's what has happened to the ruble). A prolonged period of Oil price weakness could start some social upheavals in several spots on the globe. Maybe then it will matter?

Hook - 1-19-2015 at 08:08 AM

Potentially big week for the currency markets ahead. The dollar could strengthen significantly, depending on what the European Central Bank announces this week.

It will also be interesting to see if this rise in oil, late last week, is the start of a trend..............or not.

The dollar actually traded down to about the 14.4 level last week.

thebajarunner - 1-19-2015 at 09:16 AM

So much for the oil price rise,
down under $50 again today on bleak China news.

These low prices are great at the pump
but those of us in the steel center biz are getting killed!

A rising tide does not lift all boats, it seems.

chuckie - 1-19-2015 at 09:52 AM

Sure hurting the guys in the patch too..

J.P. - 1-19-2015 at 10:03 AM

Sure hurting the guys in the patch too..

When I started in the Patch Floor was 1.00 derrick 1.25 Oil was around 12.oo a barell

Sweetwater - 1-19-2015 at 12:05 PM

The quote function or a cut'n'paste seem to cause my posts to evaporate for this thread....

So....I've got todays rate at 14.64 pesos/USD

and an article that points out that the positive effects of lower energy prices in the USA is disproportionate, lower income groups benefit much more than higher incomes. They also point out that those are 45% of the population while the energy industry only employs 4% of workers (at most) so the national benefits should be huge.

The countries that rely on exports for their revenue will be hit harder and need to diversify their economies. It's pointed out that the northern border of Mexico will do OK with the large number of factories that were started with NAFTA......

thebajarunner - 1-19-2015 at 12:12 PM

Energy may only employ 4% but the peripheral affect (such as my steel biz, etc.) is much wider

And, the banks will begin to really get whacked over this, right or wrong, they have made a lot of investment into energy expansion and banks in the oil areas, both North Dakota, and Texas/OK based, will be hit hard. Some banks will go under, and then the ripples really will begin to spread.

Not quite as simplistic as appears on the gas pumps.

Hook - 1-19-2015 at 01:34 PM

The banks that might go under are small to middle-sized, regional banks, who made assumptions that oil would just go up, up, up. I think the economy can weather the loss of these banks, if it managed to weather the "loss" of Bear, Stearns, Lehman Bros, WaMu, Merrill Lynch and Countrywide Funding.

If consumers have more dollars, then it is likely they will spend it on things that use steel; new cars, new appliances, etc., especially with how low loan rates are becoming. I wouldnt worry about steel just yet.

Every major increase in gas prices (73, 79, 90, 07-08)has been accompanied by a substantial recession. I think it is logical to assume that a major decrease in oil prices will be a good thing for the overall economy.

And it should be noted that gyrations in the stock market are not indicative of a bad economy. There is so much speculative money in the US stock market that supply and demand of stocks can sometimes run counter to the supply and demand of goods and services.

I really think The Plan is to put money in the pockets of Americans and hope that we can spend the world out of its economic doldrums. If there's one thing we Americans are good at, it's spending money.

Think of it as trickle UP economics. The middle class spends. We have to, to live.

It's in our DNA, I think.:cool:

[Edited on 1-19-2015 by Hook]

BajaRat - 1-19-2015 at 02:47 PM

I really think The Plan is to put money in the pockets of Americans and hope that we can spend the world out of its economic doldrums. If there's one thing we Americans are good at, it's spending money.

Think of it as trickle UP economics. The middle class spends. We have to, to live.

Silly me, I thought this was about the Saudi's destroying expensive US oil production and exploration while leaving many oil production dependent countries in financial ruin.
When the new oil exploration and drilling operations in the north are in financial ruin OPEC will return to profitable prices per barrel.
This is economic warfare with many global casualties and the Saudi's are not the only ones pulling the strings.
Who says man cant change the planet :cool:

Hook - 1-19-2015 at 03:25 PM

Economic warfare that brings overall prices down?

Bring it on!!!! Let the battle begin!!!!

You should be worried about steel!

thebajarunner - 1-19-2015 at 04:15 PM

The banks that might go under are small to middle-sized, regional banks, who made assumptions that oil would just go up, up, up. I think the economy can weather the loss of these banks, if it managed to weather the "loss" of Bear, Stearns, Lehman Bros, WaMu, Merrill Lynch and Countrywide Funding.

If consumers have more dollars, then it is likely they will spend it on things that use steel; new cars, new appliances, etc., especially with how low loan rates are becoming. I wouldnt worry about steel just yet.

Every major increase in gas prices (73, 79, 90, 07-08)has been accompanied by a substantial recession. I think it is logical to assume that a major decrease in oil prices will be a good thing for the overall economy.

And it should be noted that gyrations in the stock market are not indicative of a bad economy. There is so much speculative money in the US stock market that supply and demand of stocks can sometimes run counter to the supply and demand of goods and services.

Contrary to your comments, both Wells and PNC (the second largest regional bank) are deeply exposed in the oil industry. And US steel is rapidly losing market share to the Japanese who have developed high strength, low weight steel for auto gas standards.
The negatives from cheap oil are quite apparent, yet we all drool over low pump prices.
I too fear that lack of expansion of our US sources and even shutting down some of our more expensive extraction fields will play directly into the hands of the Saudi gang.
It ain't an easy answer, my friend....
lo siento....

Sweetwater - 1-19-2015 at 07:04 PM

If my quotes can be resurrected, some of the data leans towards the boon to the many far outweighing the few who are dependent on the energy slice of US economy. That certainly is skewed if you are one of those few and it is even more skewed if you are a citizen of Venezuela or Mexico.....

Quote:

Final week, the U.S. Power Information and facts Administration estimated that the typical U.S. household would save $750 because of reduced gasoline costs this year, $200 extra than government experts predicted a month ago. Individuals who rely on house heating oil and propane to warm their properties, as millions do in the Northeast and Midwest, ought to enjoy an extra savings of about $750 this winter.

Hooray....it's back.....now multiply $1500 x several million affected US citizens and you'll understand how positive this is for the population, as a whole.....

Sweetwater - 1-29-2015 at 03:03 PM

With all the climate changes, I almost forgot to look at the daily peso exchange....and things headed the other direction just that quickly....kinda like the climate....

USD-MXN 14.7976 +0.29%

Hook - 1-30-2015 at 07:19 AM

15/1 has been breached !!!

DENNIS - 1-30-2015 at 07:36 AM

WOW.......Costco is going to turn into a ghost town soon.

Russ - 1-30-2015 at 07:45 AM

I only got 14.3 yesterday and Bancomer

Bob and Susan - 1-30-2015 at 02:45 PM

14.01 at the border

13.94 in ensenada

Sweetwater - 1-30-2015 at 03:56 PM

USD-MXN 14.9955 0.2005 1.36% 16:51

Wow, I didn't catch the breach but it's right on the verge....

Hook - 1-30-2015 at 05:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  

WOW.......Costco is going to turn into a ghost town soon.

Not the Costco by me. It's filled with upper middle class housewives. I dont think mankind has invented anything that can rein in their spending.

Once you get a taste for quality, it's hard to go back.

Uh, I'm speaking of the products on the shelves at Costco........:lol:

DENNIS - 1-31-2015 at 08:07 AM

A revised income tax bill will rein in their spending...pronto.

Sweetwater - 2-2-2015 at 03:47 PM

And since OIL strengthened a bit today, the USD lost a little strength.
This is a fascinating game of chess, my guess is that NAFTA is saving Mexico from a fate similar to Greece or Russia....nice places to visit but.....

USD-MXN 14.8579 -0.1191 -0.80% 16:50

rts551 - 2-8-2015 at 07:12 PM

almost stayed above 15..then kinda stabilized. wonder what next week brings

Hook - 2-11-2015 at 04:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
almost stayed above 15..then kinda stabilized. wonder what next week brings

The week brings uncertainty................and dollar strength! 15+ to 1, again!!!