BajaNomad

Cd Constitution... Same Old Bullchit

kiterkip - 12-31-2014 at 09:45 PM

Well, If anyone within the sound of my voice has not heard this yet...AVOID CIUDAD CONSTITUTION at all costs. If you must drive through town, stop at EVERY 4-way stop, go slow as hell... and plan on being stopped anyway. Yesterday we stopped for coffee at the latte shop on the main drag. I pulled towards a parking spot, it's occupied by a Mx plated car who is finished and drives off, so I take his place. There's a couple cops there so we nod and smile/wave as we get out of there cars. They wave back todo esta bien. Then 2 minutes into the coffee the cops come in and tell us we've got "teekeets". By the time we come outside one of the cars has it's license plate gone, and they're approaching mine. I place my butt against the plate and say "No tocar mi coche!!" He takes out his handcuffs and says "Tu licencia!". Then I start photoing everyone and everything with my smart phone and this REALLY peees them off. I soon relent and we all go to the police station in a caravan to pay a silly parking fine. At some point we demanded an English speaking translator who was very very nice, but all he could offer is "These are my bosses, all I can say is never come to Cd Constitution again". In the end it was only $465 pesos (for 2 cars) and a waste of a hour. The comedy of cultural differences hit me when the squad commander was filling out our fines and says "Hoy hay una Discuenta de %25!! Amigo!" Huh... Oh, and the fine paying room we were in had about 3 thousand confiscated license plates. It was one of those odd moments when I'm doubled over in tears of laughter, with 6 very stern and serious cops looking at me. Precious.

Maron - 12-31-2014 at 09:49 PM

Going South, in our Class A Motor Home, how do we avoid, the town?

Many thanks, I don't want to drive my RV to the police station.

Happy new year and be safe.

kiterkip - 12-31-2014 at 10:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Maron  

You cannot! All I can say is look at this thread for a few days and follow any pointers you read. At every intersection through the town on the main highway there is a 4-way stop instead of a logical traffic light.... come to a complete stop at all of these crazy intersections, and politely allow all others to cross. Go 5 under the speed limit. But.... if you've got US or Canadian plates... you're screwed anyway.

Whale-ista - 1-1-2015 at 12:07 AM

FYI: when I head south, I remove my license plates from normal positions, and place one in rear window of camper shell and one on front dashboard to keep them from being removed when I'm away from truck.

(Old trick I learned from a book 30+ years back... )

C.D.

captkw - 1-1-2015 at 06:26 AM

I spend the night at Juanconito beach,,P.E. or ligui and drive thru before 7:30 AM and miss all of them..(ha...ha) K&T

Yep, many reports on that

floydo - 1-1-2015 at 06:51 AM

If you look back, there are many threads on that....stop, drive very carefully, and you will likely get through.....likely :(

Sorry to hear your experience Kip!

Some people drive the parallel roads, but that is the dirt path.....

When we can, we go through very early in the morning...

sd - 1-1-2015 at 06:53 AM

Sorry to see this happening. When I was "held up" by La Paz police it was beyond frustrating. Dirty cops!

monoloco - 1-1-2015 at 08:01 AM

Exactly what was the infraction for? Illegal parking?

Alan - 1-1-2015 at 12:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by kiterkip  
Quote: Originally posted by Maron  

You cannot! All I can say is look at this thread for a few days and follow any pointers you read. At every intersection through the town on the main highway there is a 4-way stop instead of a logical traffic light.... come to a complete stop at all of these crazy intersections, and politely allow all others to cross. Go 5 under the speed limit. But.... if you've got US or Canadian plates... you're screwed anyway.
The traffic lights were taken out by a hurricane several years ago and simply replaced with stop signs at nearly every intersection. I made my contribution to their public safety program back in 2007. I was following a large hay truck through town and stopped for speeding. After 30 minutes of haggling and a contribution of 200 pesos I was on my way. I have passed through many times since without incident. I just stay in the center lanes never exceeding 15 mph (25 kph) and stopped at every stop sign and ensured there were no pedestrians in sight before proceeding. It peees off all the other traffic but the cops haven't hassled me since.:biggrin:

[Edited on 1-1-2015 by Alan]

bajabuddha - 1-1-2015 at 12:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by monoloco  

... for wearing too deep of pockets... :lol:

motoged - 1-1-2015 at 12:19 PM

I just spent 4 days in Constitucion and had no bad experiences with the police. I was in a pick-up or on my moto and had a brief encounter with a cop-on-a-quad when I entered a one-way street at night....and was in the middle to turning the bike around when he zoomed up and started saying something....I nodded and he seemed content to allow me to proceed to my nightly helado mission.

The next night he passed me at the helado stand and smiled and offered a "Que pase?"....

I figured out the etiquette of the stop signs and the intersections of the primary and secondary streets in town. I gave the police plenty of opportunities to pull me over and did my best to slow down for stop signs....and that system worked for me.....

geoffff - 1-1-2015 at 12:23 PM

I haven't had this experience yet in Baja, but just in case I attach my license plates with one-way security screws like those they use in public restrooms:

http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Machine-Finish-One-Way-Threa...

Of course my state insists on having me replace my license plate every few years, so I have to bust out the vice grips to get the screws out.

-- Geoff

David K - 1-1-2015 at 12:25 PM

While we had no issues twice in 2012, in the middle of the day, there is enough fear to some to have a alternate route through town shown on Google Earth, perhaps? Is there a 'best' parallel city street, paved, maybe no more stops than on Hwy. 1 and out of the eyes of the policia that is best in Constitucion?

Dash cam

bajaguy - 1-1-2015 at 12:30 PM

Invest in a dash cam.....cheap insurance

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G30WOT6?psc=1

AKgringo - 1-1-2015 at 12:33 PM

I passed through Constitution twice just before Thanksgiving, trying my best to stay legal because of the warnings I have seen on this board.
I had no problems, but did observe four vehicles that had been pulled over, two of them by Federales! I don't know what was going on, but all of the vehicles had Mexican plates. Maybe they are just tough on traffic there.

monoloco - 1-1-2015 at 01:52 PM

When someone posts one of these stories I always wonder what the point is of all the posts about how "I went thru there last week, last month, 5 years ago, whatever, and never had a problem" It would be pretty damn impossible for the CC cops to extort every gringo who drove through there. The fact is the place has a reputation (well deserved IMHO) of having a bunch of corrupt cops who prey on tourists.

Alan - 1-1-2015 at 02:22 PM

When someone posts one of these stories I always wonder what the point is of all the posts about how "I went thru there last week, last month, 5 years ago, whatever, and never had a problem" It would be pretty damn impossible for the CC cops to extort every gringo who drove through there. The fact is the place has a reputation (well deserved IMHO) of having a bunch of corrupt cops who prey on tourists.
The point of the posts is to share tactics that "seem" to work for us. Whether you choose to use them is solely up to you. It has worked for me so I share, which is a huge reason many join this board.

bajaguy - 1-1-2015 at 02:43 PM

Since you have the date, approximate time, the threat of arrest and photos, a flurry of e-mails and postings on Facebook to various government officials federal, state and local), tourism boards (ditto) and the like may stir things up.

Problems for tourists in CD Constitution can have a negative effect on tourism in Cabo and La Paz, BCS and points north and south on Hwy 1 to include BC.

Tourism means dollars, and slow/no tourism for businesses affects businesses......and money talks.

Stir it up!!!

On edit, the same goes for you that have (had) problems in Tecate

[Edited on 1-1-2015 by bajaguy]

bajabuddha - 1-1-2015 at 03:09 PM

I agree, Guy. The problem in Cd. C. is they have no tourist infrastructure whatsoever, never have and no reason for anyone to spend money there; so maybe there's a little money-jealousy there for all the 'ricos' headed south to the beaches and resorts.... and they've found their 'Cash-Cow' for their (the policia) pockets, and their Operations budgets. Mexicano policia are mostly underpaid, and some just not paid at all if the tax funds aren't there. Ergo, the 'Hassle-Free Zone' mentality is out the door; this is their only piece of the big pie, so they collect.

Cd. C. has always had the reputation, nothing new. My first 'rip-off' in Baja was New Year's Day 1996 in Cd. C, by 'marijuanos', a group of 3 young kids at a gas station; one or two kept me occupied talking and yabbering, and I caught a third messing with the dials on the gas pump to spike it... busted, I chewed 'em out a little, and they laughed in my face. Considering the current political climate of Mexico, I doubt anything will change, because who will police the police? La Paz? Forewarned is fore-armed. This is not a negative thread, but a head's up to travelers, just what is.

bajaguy - 1-1-2015 at 03:25 PM

Buddah.........yup, it's not normally a tourist destination, but plenty of tourists pass through there.

I would hope that tourism officials and businesses north and south would be concerned if a bump in the road was causing problems to their bottom line.

If'n it were me, I would also e-mail the federal and state delagados with the complaints as well as any Baja/racing/fishing/RV caravan web sites.

Squeeze 'em.....individually we may not make a difference, but if everybody jumps on the bandwagon......

motoged - 1-1-2015 at 03:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
...... The problem in Cd. C. is they have no tourist infrastructure whatsoever, never have and no reason for anyone to spend money there;

BB,
Have to disagree.....they have three helado shops all within a block:lol:

StuckSucks - 1-1-2015 at 05:29 PM

I have an unexciting story.

I drove thru Constitucion five times in each direction while down there for the Mil - zero issues. I was driving a team truck with branding, so not exactly low key.

Bajahowodd - 1-1-2015 at 05:55 PM

Never been stopped there in the decades we've been driving through. I have observed a number of cars pulled over when we have had to pass through mid-day during the week. However, almost half of our passes are on a Sunday, and there are no cops to be seen. So, I would suggest going through very early in the morning, after dusk, or on Sunday, if you can fit that into your schedule.

mtgoat666 - 1-1-2015 at 06:26 PM

I have never been stopped by a cop for anything in Baja. Some of you must look like easy marks for fleecing, and I hope you continue to look different than me, and clear the way for my uninhibited driving pleasure.. :bounce:

Peace out!

P.s. I am interested, what common appearance do you victims share?

bajabuddha - 1-1-2015 at 06:39 PM

Goat, ever thought it might be your deodorant?

Hook - 1-1-2015 at 06:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
I have never been stopped by a cop for anything in Baja. Some of you must look like easy marks for fleecing, and I hope you continue to look different than me, and clear the way for my uninhibited driving pleasure.. :bounce:

Peace out!

Jesus. Dozens of cases of this BS occurring in CC, and all Goat can conclude is that it is all the Nomads fault.

JoeJustJoe - 1-1-2015 at 08:11 PM

The story seems very plausible, until the end when Kiterkip say," Huh... Oh, and the fine paying room we were in had about 3 thousand confiscated license plates."

Really? Kiterkip was taking photos of everything else. Where is the photos of the 3000 license plates?

There are also a few other problems with the story, from what I know about corrupt Mexican cops.

In the story there is no hint of asking for a bribe from the implied alleged corrupt cop(s) that supposedly removed Kiterkip's license plate, and then came in the restaurant and said in bad English, "teekeets" and then later took out the handcuffs.

BTW the ""teekeets"statement is really uncalled for, especially since Kiterkip said," at some point we demanded an English speaking translator," at the police station. Did the Mexican cops make fun of Kiterkip's Spanish?

So is the whole police station at, Ciudad Constitution, corrupt, and they work as a team? Why didn't the corrupt cop make it easy on everybody and just hint for a bribe up front? If the alleged Mexican cop is corrupt, why not take his share right away, and if he works as a team, just pass up the bribe money up the chain of command at the police station. Better, yet, why didn't he ask for a bribe, and keep all the pesos or dollars for himself, or share with his buddy cop?

It just seems like a lot of trouble to go through, especially when they're going through the legal motions, and then at the end, the "smoking guns" of evidence is right there, the 3000 license plates, the police station, supposedly keeps right there in the "fine payment office," where one day state or federal officials might find.

Who knows if the story is true or not, or just parts exaggerated, but I would never boycott a place in Mexico, just because a person has a story to tell on the internet or some anonymous travel board.

Tell, the story, and if others are telling the same story, there might be problems at a certain place in Mexico, but the the calls for a boycott are a bit silly if you ask me.

chavycha - 1-1-2015 at 08:17 PM

Seems like a lot of work to go to in order to trash some random town in Baja, dontcha think?

We had a negative experience last year in CC with the same cop that Kiterkip encountered. We don't stop there any more.

JoeJustJoe - 1-1-2015 at 08:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chavycha  
Seems like a lot of work to go to in order to trash some random town in Baja, dontcha think?

We had a negative experience last year in CC with the same cop that Kiterkip encountered. We don't stop there any more.

Really? The very same cop!

What are the odds?

How do you know it's the same cop?

Did the cop take your license plate?

[Edited on 1-2-2015 by JoeJustJoe]

willardguy - 1-1-2015 at 08:23 PM

welcome to 2015 folks :no:

chavycha - 1-1-2015 at 08:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  

Really? The very same cop!
What are the odds?
How do you know it's the same cop?
Did the cop take your license plate?

More than likely. I have a pretty damn sharp memory for things like cops who shake me down for money. However, I can't be certain since the photo quality is poor at best. I would imagine that a city the size of Constitucion only has a handful of transitos.

Again, why would I or Kip go to the trouble of fabricating something like this? There were aspects of Kip's story that rubbed me the wrong way, but I have no doubt that it's real. I'll quote you here for a second --

Tell, the story, and if others are telling the same story, there might be problems at a certain place in Mexico.

I don't understand the 'shoot the messenger' mentality that crops up on this forum. Seems like some of you need to get out from behind your keyboards and travel around a bit.

[Edited on 1-2-2015 by chavycha]

mtgoat666 - 1-1-2015 at 09:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  

Peace out!

Jesus. Dozens of cases of this BS occurring in CC, and all Goat can conclude is that it is all the Nomads fault.

:no: well, you can read it whatever way you want. I was simply observing that some people attract crooked cops and some don't. I suspect the cops are good at profiling. I was wondering what is the the lucrative profile. In case I take up a second career in law enforcement.

Posada-BushPilot - 1-1-2015 at 09:39 PM

Kinda Funny CC Story

Last year, heading south for La Paz and doin the drill thru CC, got to the south end and there were a bunch of CC finest standing around and one of them waved me over. Four or five of them were standing behind the guy who waved me over. I think he said I was speeding or sumthin and asked me for my DL.
Well I was in one of my butthead moods (very rare :) but I gave him my license (dumb),, and he started rappin. So I say, in a loud voice :"Policia de constutition muy malo hombres" Well the guy gets this funny look on his face, hands me back my license and wave me off. The cops behind him busted up laughin and I think I heard one of the say muy loco gringo, or something like that.
Really pretty stupid on my part, and I would not recommend it, but I just wasn't any mood to play their game. I am always super cautious, full stop and 5 under the speed limit in their little dirtwater town, and not had a problem until this little incident. Pretty funny though, after I drove off I thought, Damn that was funny but also maybe stupid. LOL
If I was not alone I could not of done it without my passenger needing to change his or her pants.:mad::bounce:

JoeJustJoe - 1-1-2015 at 11:05 PM

More than likely. I have a pretty damn sharp memory for things like cops who shake me down for money. However, I can't be certain since the photo quality is poor at best. I would imagine that a city the size of Constitucion only has a handful of transitos.

Again, why would I or Kip go to the trouble of fabricating something like this? There were aspects of Kip's story that rubbed me the wrong way, but I have no doubt that it's real. I'll quote you here for a second --

I don't understand the 'shoot the messenger' mentality that crops up on this forum. Seems like some of you need to get out from behind your keyboards and travel around a bit.

Without calling anybody a liar, and I believe I only said some parts of the story sounded exaggerated, specifically the 3000 license plates, and the fact there are easier ways to shake down gringos.

To answer your question, people lie on the internet all the time, for a number of reasons, and that's just a fact.

You come here and call for a boycott in a place in Mexico or Baja, then some hard questions may be asked especially if things don't tend to make sense in their story. If somebody is truthful, they shouldn't have any problem answering some questions, or clearing up any confusions some people may have.

kiterkip - 1-2-2015 at 06:25 AM

Yes, Illegal parking. This was on a side street just around the corner from that Latte/Coffee shop on the main highway. As I believe I mentioned... I arrived at a spot and there was a Mx plated car parked there. He pulled away, I pulled in. As we got out of our cars we nodded to the policeman standing there and he smiled and waved back... only to come into the shop 3 minutes later to tell us we were in trouble.
We were two cars, I was "on the sidewalk" When there is no sidewalk, just dirt. My friend was "parked in the crosswalk" again, nothing but dirt.

kiterkip - 1-2-2015 at 06:28 AM

Peace out!

OK, I'll bite: Both of our vehicles were stacked surf board, Rocket Boxes, and trailer hitch double bike racks with brand new Mt Bikes. Washington State Plates.

kiterkip - 1-2-2015 at 06:51 AM

The story seems very plausible, until the end when Kiterkip say," Huh... Oh, and the fine paying room we were in had about 3 thousand confiscated license plates."
Really? Kiterkip was taking photos of everything else. Where is the photos of the 3000 license plates?

Please try to believe this part. I simply neglected to bring my cell phone into the police station. Plus at this point I kindof want to escape hassle-free. Also... WE ARE NOW INSIDE the police station. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but: Is it permitted in US Police Stations, Court Houses, Govt Buildings? Potentially this could have blown up in my face.

There are also a few other problems with the story, from what I know about corrupt Mexican cops.

In the story there is no hint of asking for a bribe from the implied alleged corrupt cop(s) that supposedly removed Kiterkip's license plate, and then came in the restaurant and said in bad English, "teekeets" and then later took out the handcuffs.

Excuse if my post implies a "bribe attempt". None were made, but what was less that honorable was that the police office talked to us as we exited our vehicles and said no more than "Buenos Dias"

BTW the ""teekeets"statement is really uncalled for, especially since Kiterkip said," at some point we demanded an English speaking translator," at the police station. Did the Mexican cops make fun of Kiterkip's Spanish?

OK, You got me here. Noted, this was crappy cultural comment on my part. I was a bit angry as I typed my entry. And this entire incident WAS an argument with 6 rude police officers

So is the whole police station at, Ciudad Constitution, corrupt, and they work as a team? Why didn't the corrupt cop make it easy on everybody and just hint for a bribe up front? If the alleged Mexican cop is corrupt, why not take his share right away, and if he works as a team, just pass up the bribe money up the chain of command at the police station. Better, yet, why didn't he ask for a bribe, and keep all the pesos or dollars for himself, or share with his buddy cop?

It just seems like a lot of trouble to go through, especially when they're going through the legal motions, and then at the end, the "smoking guns" of evidence is right there, the 3000 license plates, the police station, supposedly keeps right there in the "fine payment office," where one day state or federal officials might find.

Who knows if the story is true or not, or just parts exaggerated, but I would never boycott a place in Mexico, just because a person has a story to tell on the internet or some anonymous travel board.

Tell, the story, and if others are telling the same story, there might be problems at a certain place in Mexico, but the the calls for a boycott are a bit silly if you ask me.

It is all true. Maybe it's not so much "corruption" in this particular incident... but IHMO clearly a methodology of enticement and trapping otherwise WHY wouldn't the police officer who smiled and greeted us as we parked our vehicle inform us of the improper parking? Additionally I will clearly state that once we came back to our cars, and there were 6 officers there... it was a all aggressive chest pounding on their part. Am I being too sensitive? Probably.

[Edited on 1-2-2015 by kiterkip]

[Edited on 1-2-2015 by kiterkip]

kiterkip - 1-2-2015 at 07:08 AM

Without calling anybody a liar, and I believe I only said some parts of the story sounded exaggerated, specifically the 3000 license plates, and the fact there are easier ways to shake down gringos.

To answer your question, people lie on the internet all the time, for a number of reasons, and that's just a fact.

You come here and call for a boycott in a place in Mexico or Baja, then some hard questions may be asked especially if things don't tend to make sense in their story. If somebody is truthful, they shouldn't have any problem answering some questions, or clearing up any confusions some people may have.

Again, I'm NOT LYING Maybe a tiny bit shrill... OK. I did not use the word Boycott. I think when I used the term "Avoid" it simply meant take the side road/street I had heard about here on BN.. as well as just move through and do your shopping somewhere else. Gee... I guess this can be read as "boycott".
Did I mention that Francisco, the uber nice police officer/English translator at the station said... and I quote "It's just my boss's, you should go to some other town next time"

Hook - 1-2-2015 at 07:31 AM

Dont fret the Mexico apologists, Kip. They actually dont spend much time down here, like the rest of us. They dont know the reality of Mexico.

Poor Joe is apparently being held captive in his hated Occupied Aztlan and cant even make it to his Nirvana, TJ.

And Goat wonders why the CC cops never shake him down, while he rides by on his bike. :lol:

shari - 1-2-2015 at 07:53 AM

thanks for clarifying your infraction. I remember when many people complained about the problem there and it improved somewhat so seems its time to do that again to remind the government of the problem.

That being said...I would like to mention something to our visitors. Being someone who lives in Baja, I can tell you that tourists very often park illegally, then get irate when they get a ticket. This is generally out of ignorance of the law and significance of paint on the curb dictating the parking situation. But I see many people parked the wrong way on the street as they just think..this is Mexico...so what? They make illegal U-turns and other traffic no no's and can be ticketed...as well as Mexicans doing the same thing. Now...in fairness...sometimes a gringo will get an infraction when a local may not...depending on the local's relationship with the police and town...which is not really unfair...for example my husband fixes all the police radios for free so perhaps they will allow him to park for a moment while getting a 6 pack...(not a real scenario as Juan is always mindful of legal parking...but just an example to explain why a mexican may not get ticketed when you do.)

rts551 - 1-2-2015 at 08:27 AM

Kip, as was pointed out to you on Facebook, there are many parking infractions on the books...one of which, like parking within so many feet of the intersection, you probably violated. Then your challenge to their authority (they are authorized to take licensees and plates or cars) probably just infuriated them.

for a list of parking infractions and the prohibition on u-turns along with what they can do to enforce these laws pls go to Talk Baja (its not my post/information take and copy over here)

monoloco - 1-2-2015 at 08:30 AM

Dont fret the Mexico apologists, Kip. They actually dont spend much time down here, like the rest of us. They dont know the reality of Mexico.

Poor Joe is apparently being held captive in his hated Occupied Aztlan and cant even make it to his Nirvana, TJ.

And Goat wonders why the CC cops never shake him down, while he rides by on his bike. :lol:
This site attracts trolls because they are tolerated, most forums wouldn't put up with them.

unbob - 1-2-2015 at 08:54 AM

I have never been stopped by a cop for anything in Baja. I am interested, what common appearance do you victims share?
Gotta agree with Goat. I have driven through CC and Tecate over 20 times in the past 10 years with no problem whatsoever. Seldom ever seen a cop let alone been stopped. Maybe it's just been blind luck but also I think I must not fit the "profile". Hopefully, my good luck will continue!

DaliDali - 1-2-2015 at 09:06 AM

This site attracts trolls because they are tolerated, most forums wouldn't put up with them.

LIKE!!

dtbushpilot - 1-2-2015 at 09:06 AM

Can't count the number of times I've driven through CC. I usually drive through pretty conservative down the middle lane and stop at all the intersections. Was pulled over once for speeding, I was speeding (by quite a bit), negotiated my best fine and continued on.

JoeJustJoe - 1-2-2015 at 11:46 AM

Well actually I enjoy hanging out in Tijuana like my avatar says, and over the years I have seen a lot of shake down attempts of gringos, and even myself have been a victim of it. Usually $20 dollars, is all you need to get you off, unless of course you want to stand up to corrupt and go for a ride, until they wear you down. Although over the years it has got a lot better in Tijuana.

I try to stay away from backwater boring towns in Mexico, although I been through many in my visits all over Mexico through the years.

The thing is most shake downs attempts by corrupt Mexican cops don't result in visits to the judge or police station, although there has been a few cases documented in the Mexican press, where both the judge and police were in on the scam. ( I also read the local Mexican articles everyday) The mass majority of shake down attempts are resolved in the streets, one way or another. Another thing I notice on forums, is a lot of forum members claims to stand up to corrupt cops, but in reality that's probably not the case, and many times they're offering bribes before the cops even ask. ( tough guys on forums are a dime a dozen)

So what we have here is a disputed case, and we're only hearing one side of the story from Kiterkip. We haven't heard from the Mexican cop tried tried to give Kiterkip the " "teekeets" he said disrespectfully. In fact Kitrkips's behavior towards the Mexico cop was so disrespectful, and I got that from his own words.

I don't know why many Americans act so disrespectful towards towards Mexican cops, but would never do that to an American cop. If you tried to do what Kierkip did to an American cop, if he was trying to write you a ticket, and you took out your smart phone and started snapping photos in his face, and all over. Chances are that cop would pull you out of your car, and throw you hard against the hood of your car, and if you were black, that American cop might shoot you!

I don't like either Mexican cops or American cops, but I never act disrespectful towards a cop in any country, although I will politely assert my rights.

So who knows if this story is true or not. I believe something happened, but unless I hear the others side of the story, I'm just not going to automatically believe some relative unknown person on the internet.

It also bothers me that this story is re-posted on other anti-Baja forums, and Facebook pages that are known to carry anti-Mexico stories, and pretty much have an anti-Mexican agenda.

Look at Kitrkips's first part of his story: "Well, If anyone within the sound of my voice has not heard this yet...AVOID CIUDAD CONSTITUTION at all costs."

Really, we're suppose to all fall in line, and avoid Ciudad Constitution just because he may or may not have had an negative experience in Ciudid Constitution.

There is another thing I have noticed on Mexican forums, and I admit I'm a liberal and I pretty much like to see the positive in Mexico, and don't try to compare countries like the USA to Mexico, and try to determine which country is better. There are good and parts to all countries.

Then you have ultra conservatives, and Hook is a good example. They watch "Fox News" maybe listen to Rush, and they like to compare countries like the US to Mexico, where they have already decided that the USA is superior to Mexico, and Americans are superior to Mexicans. They go to McDonald's in Mexico, and complain the service isn't as fast as in the USA'a McDonald;s, and they look for all the negative news about Mexico, to confirm they negative beliefs about Mexico.

So ultraconservative like Hook, will usually always believe stories such as the story from Kiterkip, because they so much want to believe the worse about Mexico and their corrupt cops, while at the same time holding up America's cops as great public servants capable of no wrongs.

chavycha - 1-2-2015 at 12:54 PM

Joe,

I think I may have misunderstood what you'd said in previous posts; that last one was well thought out and pretty accurate. Profiling and uneven application of the law happens everywhere - try driving while Hispanic or African-American in a small town in eastern Kansas! And God forbid you do it with a license plate light out or a cracked tail light. You're also correct in that getting uppity with an officer almost never ends well, no matter where you are.

However, going back to the original post, it sounds like the cops indicated that it was a-okay for Kip and his party to park where they did. Then they subsequently stung him for 'illegal parking'. I don't know what Mexican law has to say about that, but legality aside, it strikes me as pretty lame (to put it nicely). I'd be peeed off, and I bet you would too.

AKgringo - 1-2-2015 at 01:15 PM

The fact that Kip was not shaken down for a bribe, coupled by my observation in November (four out of four cars pulled over had Mexican plates). It looks to me like a local version of an American speed trap!
If that is how they bring in revenue, I appreciate a warning like this. It may not be fair, but it doesn't really ring of corruption like the two times I was pulled over for BS in La Paz and asked to pay right now, and no ticket.
I am not saying that doesn't happen in Constitution as well, but I have no knowledge of it.

mtgoat666 - 1-2-2015 at 01:16 PM

I suspect the cops did say "no parking" when gringos parked. They prob did not understand; lost in translation.

aguachico - 1-2-2015 at 01:54 PM

Thanks for the heads up about CC. Don't travel there much but plan to in the future. Don't plan on stopping, but wouldn't get too twisted. Not sure what is worse paying a trumped up fine to some idiot mexican cop or wasting an hour of my vacation.

230pesos is about $17 bucks. One speed trap in california will set you back $500 USD. I'd just wrap that mordida as being the cost of travel.

Here in Mariano, I fight the tickets as I am not in a hurry to go fishing. The last pin che pen dejo policia rata con dos patas encounter was about 3months ago over window tint. Window tint is illegal. I offered him my best spanglish. He countered with equally bad english and let me off with a warning.

BTW: the best bluff you can call is when they mention towing your vehicle. Just say "ok, i will call a taxi", they fold quite quickly. Also be firm, not disrespectful.

Bajahowodd - 1-2-2015 at 06:00 PM

For many years, we often stopped at The Taste Restaurant in CC. After reading about all the woes of folks in that town, we decided to just drive through slowly, always in the center lanes, and stopping at every intersection if there wasn't a green signal.

Just seems to me that if all this hoopla about the cops there is true, it's the local merchants and business people who are being harmed by the local cops.

bajabuddha - 1-2-2015 at 06:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by soulpatch  
Good ol' judgement.......no shortage of it here!
Christ almighty, CC has been infamous for how long?..... I love all the guys on their high horses, christ almighty, they are funnier than chiite!
Glad to see some things and some of the characters never change.....jajajaja.

Double-Ditto.

Cd. C, the armpit of Baja.

monoloco - 1-2-2015 at 06:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
Quote: Originally posted by soulpatch  
Good ol' judgement.......no shortage of it here!
Christ almighty, CC has been infamous for how long?..... I love all the guys on their high horses, christ almighty, they are funnier than chiite!
Glad to see some things and some of the characters never change.....jajajaja.

Double-Ditto.

Cd. C, the armpit of Baja.
Yep! So predictable.

motoged - 1-2-2015 at 07:10 PM

I kinda like Constitucion :biggrin:...

As I managed my driving and parking there over several days without more than previously mentioned finger- wagging quad-cop, I looked at it as a sporting event similar to a bullfight: I managed to dodge the horns.

I noticed more traffic cops out in the evening on the side streets than the main thoroughfare....maybe about 10 at any time after dark.

As Shari pointed out, the curb colors matter....and many sidewalks in Mexico are sand, Kip.

Don't avoid the town....just be careful and pay attention.

Hook - 1-2-2015 at 08:40 PM

Quote:

As Shari pointed out, the curb colors matter....and many sidewalks in Mexico are sand, Kip.

The only color that matters to the muni police in many Mexican towns is green.

As in GREENgo. As in GREENbacks.