BajaNomad

Black Guayabera

pauldavidmena - 1-1-2015 at 03:47 PM

I just bought a black guayabera before remembering that I've really only seen them in white when visiting Mexico. Is there any taboo or superstition that would make me think twice about wearing a black guayabera when I visit later this month? An international incident would probably spoil the trip. ;)

Bob H - 1-1-2015 at 03:53 PM

Being from Miami, I have seen them in many different colors, including black, and am not aware of any problem with wearing black.

[Edited on 1-1-2015 by Bob H]

AKgringo - 1-1-2015 at 04:39 PM

For those of us with little fashion background, what the h... is a Guayabera?
Who would wear one, and in what setting?

bajabuddha - 1-1-2015 at 04:43 PM

Same thing as a Henway.

bajabuddha - 1-1-2015 at 04:44 PM

BTW, I'd wear the black in cold weather and white in hot.

pauldavidmena - 1-1-2015 at 04:45 PM

Here is the Wikipedia entry for the Guayabera, complete with a photo. It's a fairly traditional, semi-formal shirt worn in Mexico and Latin America. As an aspiring Nomad, I felt I needed to start dressing the part. :cool:

luv2fish - 1-1-2015 at 04:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pauldavidmena  
I just bought a black guayabera before remembering that I've really only seen them in white when visiting Mexico. Is there any taboo or superstition that would make me think twice about wearing a black guayabera when I visit later this month? An international incident would probably spoil the trip. ;)

Yeah just watch the neighborhoods you enter while wearing certain colors..:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

bajabuddha - 1-1-2015 at 04:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by luv2fish  
Quote: Originally posted by pauldavidmena  

Yeah just watch the neighborhoods you enter while wearing certain colors..:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Wuz thinking the same thing; white and black, cut the slack. Red or blue, shame on you. :lol:

willardguy - 1-1-2015 at 05:04 PM

I thought those were "barber" shirts?

DENNIS - 1-1-2015 at 06:24 PM

They come in various colors. No taboo for black although I don't think I'd wear a pink one. Rainbow either.

bajabuddha - 1-1-2015 at 06:41 PM

Dennis, I prefer mauve myself. After all, it is the offishul color of the Lesbian Nation, and I AM trapped..... in a mans' body.

Paul, I hope this is all helping. :coolup:

pauldavidmena - 1-1-2015 at 07:00 PM

I consider myself utterly enlightened. :biggrin:

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
Dennis, I prefer mauve myself. After all, it is the offishul color of the Lesbian Nation, and I AM trapped..... in a mans' body.

Paul, I hope this is all helping. :coolup:

DENNIS - 1-2-2015 at 07:27 AM

I wonder if Danny Thomas wore mauve Guayaberas. I think he was Lesbian.

shari - 1-2-2015 at 07:55 AM

wow...hmmm...come to think of it, I have never seen a black one...wondering...wondering???

pauldavidmena - 1-2-2015 at 07:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
wow...hmmm...come to think of it, I have never seen a black one...wondering...wondering???

Wondering if I'm a lesbian? I do have a decided preference for women, come to think of it... :?:

bajabuddha - 1-2-2015 at 12:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  

I wonder if Danny Thomas wore mauve Guayaberas. I think he was Lesbian.

Dennis, he was Lebanese. They're partial to.... na-a-a-a-a-a... :no: