BajaNomad

Block ice along Mex1

woody with a view - 1-4-2015 at 04:35 PM

gonna be needing some blocks as i pass thru Ens around 7am or SQ a little later. anyone know of an easy spot to find along the way? i know they are there but i can't picture in my mind where!

aguachico - 1-4-2015 at 08:32 PM

There are two in chapultatec/maneadero. South of Ensenada.
Can't remember the name off-hand.
If you are heading south, both are on the east side. The easy one is right across from the military base. It is has normal business hours.

The larger one is open 24 hours just as you head down the hill into Maneadero. It's north of the golf course. YOU CANNOT MAKE A LEFT TURN INTO IT. You either have to know the underpass or make a u turn.

You can get cristalina or blanco there.

btw: if you don't have an ice pick, you can buy one there. do not store it in the truck with you. pin che federale ratas.
One bar can be cut up to fit into two big coolers.
One bar weighs 300#'s and they normally do not lift it from the platform to your truck.

[Edited on 1-5-2015 by aguachico]

David K - 1-4-2015 at 08:36 PM

Ice plant in San Quintin was on the west side of Hwy. 1, middle of town. Sorry, it was long ago and I didn't take a GPS reading! I bought ice in Jesus Maria once, but not big blocks... so Guerrero Negro is probably the next place?

MMc - 1-4-2015 at 09:04 PM

Get Ice the night before and drop a little piece of dry ice on top,
Get ice an dry ice the night before and put in another ice-chest,then put the super cold ice in the ice chest and roll, the ice will be very cold and will come up to temp about 4-5 hours after.

woody with a view - 1-5-2015 at 07:47 AM

I'm only needing enough for 3-4 days. 300#'s is insane!!!!:biggrin:

I hate buying the night before because I loose 12 hours to melting, but dry ice may do the trick.

Skipjack Joe - 1-5-2015 at 07:48 AM

Or you can buy block ice in the states and add crushed ice in Mejico. It will make the block last longer.

Don't drain the water as it melts.

Siphon off the water at the end of the trip if the cooler gets too heavy.

Dry Ice

bajaguy - 1-5-2015 at 07:57 AM

In Cali, Smart & Final and some Ralph's carry dry ice. At Ralph's, it is usually(??) in the seafood section

Get a block or two of ice, cover with some newspapers or brown shopping bags, then put the dry ice on top. I usually cover the dry ice with a couple of old towels

bajabuddha - 1-5-2015 at 07:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
In Cali, Smart & Final and some Ralph's carry dry ice. At Ralph's, it is usually(??) in the seafood section

Get a block or two of ice, cover with some newspapers or brown shopping bags, then put the dry ice on top. I usually cover the dry ice with a couple of old towels

Also, after you follow BG's method, duct tape the lid of your cooler and seal it. Dry ice evaporates into gas (Co2) and sealing your cooler will insure you'll have solid ice for a week. This is what they do in the Grand Canyon on river trips to have ice cream on day 8 for their guests.

paranewbi - 1-5-2015 at 08:12 AM

Smart & Final gets a little pricey
Woody, there's a Ice House behind the sports arena. Right behind the Sports Arena almost to the back side of Dixieline is a Stop sign. Turn Left (east...can't go right) and it's on your left side tucked back in a little with parking right there out front.
They'll give you whatever amount you want and wrap it in brown paper. $25 worth usually lasts me 5-7 days and keeps Ice rock hard.

I think that's close to your home base and you can get your Ice and Dry Ice there with your schedule a couple of days before you leave and you'll be fine...unless the surfs flat like here.

bajaguy - 1-5-2015 at 08:26 AM

http://www.sandiegoiceco.biz/

Quote: Originally posted by paranewbi  
Smart & Final gets a little pricey
Woody, there's a Ice House behind the sports arena. Right behind the Sports Arena almost to the back side of Dixieline is a Stop sign. Turn Left (east...can't go right) and it's on your left side tucked back in a little with parking right there out front.
They'll give you whatever amount you want and wrap it in brown paper. $25 worth usually lasts me 5-7 days and keeps Ice rock hard.

I think that's close to your home base and you can get your Ice and Dry Ice there with your schedule a couple of days before you leave and you'll be fine...unless the surfs flat like here.

woody with a view - 1-5-2015 at 01:30 PM

I know the SD Ice place. I won't be home til after biz hours Wed and didn't bring the cooler with me to LA.....

Actually, S&F is open late and I have one nearby in the hood. a block a day for refreshments and hopefully have some left for the mariscos on the way north!

Bob53 - 1-5-2015 at 01:45 PM

Fill up 1 gallon jugs at home and freeze them. It just seems to me that the ice I get in Baja melts a lot faster than normal.

You can buy block ice at the yellow market in BOLA right before you make the left hand turn to go south of town.

woody with a view - 1-5-2015 at 03:07 PM

my freezer is full.

Martyman - 4-18-2016 at 10:01 AM

Where can I buy dry Ice in Ensenada or San Quintin?

Bajaboy - 4-18-2016 at 10:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob53  
Fill up 1 gallon jugs at home and freeze them. It just seems to me that the ice I get in Baja melts a lot faster than normal.

You can buy block ice at the yellow market in BOLA right before you make the left hand turn to go south of town.

Ditto!

TedZark - 4-20-2016 at 05:32 PM

In Ensenada, try Diamante Ice on the east side of Reforma heading south a few blocks south of Costco. Not sure how many blocks, but after the newish VIP gas station/market, after the government buildings on the east side and roughly across the street from the airport. It is a big ice plant.

Ensenada Dry Ice

bajaguy - 4-20-2016 at 05:58 PM

There is an ice cream store on Coral, east of Reforma (Hwy 1) around Calle Ensenada. The ice cream store is on the corner. It is where a lot of the ice cream cart guys get their dry ice and ice cream.

Fabrica de Paletas y Helados
Coral 213
Ensenada

Quote: Originally posted by Martyman  
Where can I buy dry Ice in Ensenada or San Quintin?

Martyman - 4-21-2016 at 09:31 AM

Thank You!