BajaNomad

San Jose del Cabo policia...

yukonron - 1-4-2015 at 07:22 PM

...are the best! Today we were looking to spend the night in San Jose del Cabo but drove past the turn off to the downtown. We stopped at a Pemex miles down the road and we're looking in our book and iPad and map to figure out where we were and where we wanted to be. Three police stopped and asked how we were doing. We explained and they called someone to make sure where the hotel we were looking for was located. When I asked for directions, they said just to follow them. Winding in and around we finally came up in front of the hotel. Even found a parking place right in front. I wanted to get their picture, but they just stopped and made sure we knew we were there and then drove on. Fantastico!

David K - 1-4-2015 at 08:39 PM

Great story!

Katiejay99 - 1-4-2015 at 08:45 PM

You know, it's really nice to hear of a good, positive report about our police. They are not all as bad as some make them out to be.

Thank you for sharing it with us.

CortezBlue - 1-4-2015 at 08:48 PM

I am curious if it was the young Federales that are down in Cabo?

chavycha - 1-4-2015 at 09:31 PM

Nice! I had a pleasant exchange the other day with one of the officers here in Asuncion. She sure looks like she could kick my ass, but was super-friendly.

bajalorena - 1-4-2015 at 09:56 PM

So nice to hear about that, and that you posted a positive experience! Thank you.

Marc - 1-5-2015 at 07:25 AM

Must have been Federal Police.

bajajudy - 1-5-2015 at 07:30 AM

They are called Gendarmerie. They are young college educated men and women. They came for Odile and will stay for several more months.

paranewbi - 1-5-2015 at 08:26 AM

Was trying to find my way out of Merida one time and couldn't find how to get on the Perriferico(?). Saw two motorcycle cops on the side of the road and asked for directions. The OLDEST one (60+) waved at me to follow him and took me on a not so short run to the access point. He pulled over and waved me on when I stopped behind him, got out with $5 folded up in my palm and passed it to him with a handshake requesting that he have a beer on me that night.
Just one of a dozen times I can recall that the police went out of their way to assist my wife and I.

Paid it back when we passed two officers (one with a machine gun) on the road outside Culiacan stopped on the side of the road. The look they had on their faces was one of they wished they weren't there. I returned and asked if they needed assistance and they told me they were out of gas. I put my five gallon can in their tank (while the one with the machine gun stood between me and the road and the other officer kept trying to raise someone on the radio). I made sure their car started and drove off with them following me to the town turnoff and waving thanks at me as I headed north. Knowing the reputation of Culiacan I was happy to see them safely on their way.

CortezBlue - 1-5-2015 at 08:56 AM

Gendarmerie
Yes, that is the name I was looking for. We were in Cabo about 2 or 3 weeks after the storm and I had several conversations with them. I had heard two things.

1. They were brought in after there was video showing the local police were involved with some of the theft from the local businesses. I was told that many of the local police were fired.

2. I heard that Gendarmerie is part of the Presidentes new police program that is being spread across the country to help fight corruption.

yukonron - 1-5-2015 at 05:19 PM

Actually, it was municipal police. One older guy, 50ish, another 40ish and one 20ish. Didn't even get out of the car long enough for a proper face to face thank you. I had wanted to get their picture. But they seemed happy with their good deed and went on their way!

Maron - 1-6-2015 at 02:37 PM

Great to hear positive stories about the police.

Thanks all

Good Cops, Bad Cops

durrelllrobert - 1-6-2015 at 03:02 PM

IMHO they all have a thankless job and the "Bad" ones are severely underpaid and have to resort to other means to supplement their income. Hopefully the Gendarmeriesv are being paid a decent living wage and expense while they are in places like Cabo.

Chupacabra - 1-6-2015 at 11:06 PM

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/08/22/mexico-creates-speci...