BajaNomad

Santa Rosalia

BajaBlanca - 1-9-2015 at 07:04 PM

On our way to Punta Chivato, of course we stopped at Santa Rosalia both going and coming. Here is a glimpse at our trek. If you don't like posts with lots of pics. go ahead and skip this one altogether.

The first stop we made was at a student's house in Punta Abreojos . They are all competing to see who can recycle the most plastic. It can then be dropped off at CampoFisher or in this case, we were taking it all the way to Santa Rosalia. They now have collection receptacles everywhere in town!

Here is the loot:

Here is the loot being left in Santa Rosalia to be taken to China:

Once in town we dropped by three hardware stores -here are pics of two of them:

the main square was gearing up for DIA DE REYES and boy - this is gonna be one heck of a party!

we were told that this restaurant has delicious tacos el pastor but it (as you can see) was closed for lunch on Thursday -perhaps it only opens for dinners?

It is located on the left as you head north on main highway. go past the Chinese. go past the stop sign. it is on the left:

This is the restaurant we ate at -it has internet which I appreciate:

Santa Rosalia has some quaint old homes that I wish had their stories written in books for all to read:

we were under the impression that we had to renew out Mexican IFE cards but we are good to go:

We both admit that we are GLAD GLAD GLAD perhaps even ecstatic that we are now Mexicanos and will never have to enter this building again :)))))

Of course Santa Rosalia boasts this cute library - renovated not too long ago:

and lastly - I guess there is a tourist book that promotes the black sand beaches of santa rosalia. we, years ago, met two young ones who were ever so disappointed as they backpacked into town just to experience the black sand beaches. We gave them a ride to Bahia Concepcion. Surely prettier than this:

and that is all folks - hope you enjoyed this mini trek.

[Edited on 1-10-2015 by BajaBlanca]

liknbaja127 - 1-9-2015 at 07:33 PM

Very cool pictures, as always. That taco stand is a good one! Have ate there a few times. Also ate at the restaurant you posted, not as good as the taco stand, It is a cool town to check out. lots of history there.

sd - 1-9-2015 at 07:47 PM

I LOVE posts with lots of pictures, thank you!

Skipjack Joe - 1-9-2015 at 07:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  

There used to be an internet cafe in the 2nd story of that green building. That was back in the day we used dialup modems.

David K - 1-9-2015 at 08:34 PM

Black sand beach is right in front of town, south of the harbor... or was:

BajaBlanca - 1-9-2015 at 08:37 PM

I know this beach too -which one is uglier is a toss up!

Bajaboy - 1-9-2015 at 08:48 PM

That taco stand rocks!

Maron - 1-9-2015 at 09:33 PM

Super and neat

thks

Ateo - 1-9-2015 at 09:37 PM

Had one of my best Pizza's ever in Santa Rosalia. There were Gloria Trevi photos everywhere. 1994?

Thanks for the post Blanca! Doing good...............

bajabuddha - 1-9-2015 at 10:37 PM

Great photos and good narrative, and I wish I was there to give you a days' tour of even more of Sta. R. There is sooo much more there, you missed the better hardware stores (right by the banks and even farther north from the town center than Chimenia).... and tacos??? Oh brudder, the best carne asada in Baja is at the Yellow carneceria at the upper end. There are good street fish venders, wonderful small grocery stores on side-streets as well as the larger more-known ones, and good birria and taco vendors as well.

Sta. R. is NOT known for beaches. Concepcion is. Sta. R. is COMMERCE, Mexicano style. A whole different vibe, a different culture(S) as well; architecture, movement, flow, the antithesis to Mulege. I love them both.

Visit, enjoy, marvel. The glory to the many faceted sides of Baja. :coolup:

[Edited on 1-10-2015 by bajabuddha]

Barry A. - 1-9-2015 at 10:58 PM

I have always thought Santa Rosalia the most fascinating town in all of Baja, and so very unique. We spent a lot of time there way back when, coming and going----always enjoyed it, and my friends did too.

Great pictures and captions. Thanks.

Barry

willardguy - 1-9-2015 at 11:10 PM

:lol: only on nomads! if you folks were eating tacos boy oh boy were you missing out! up on that little side street off the bakery was the Cup 'o Pizza guy. he was unbelievable! he ran the the old Cup 'o Pizza guy out of business!

wilderone - 1-10-2015 at 07:16 AM

Enlightening perspective - nice to know about the hardware store too. The plastic goes to China? At least it's not blowing around the Baja desert.

güéribo - 1-10-2015 at 08:00 AM

And don't miss the cemetery on the hill--

"Jesus Sandobal, born July 29, 1904 and died April 7, 1922 at the age of 17 years. His mother dedicates this humble memorial to him."

David K - 1-10-2015 at 08:49 AM

Way cool gueribo!

BajaBlanca - 1-10-2015 at 08:58 AM

Wow.....gotta go back in 2 weeks......can't wait! Never thought to go to the cemetary, but lots of history there.

And I thought I was gonna have zero response on this posting lol

David K - 1-10-2015 at 09:04 AM

Wow.....gotta go back in 2 weeks......can't wait! Never thought to go to the cemetary, but lots of history there.

And I thought I was gonna have zero response on this posting lol

Blanca, its why I say "So much Baja... so little time" as the place just keeps giving and giving!

bajajudy - 1-10-2015 at 10:37 AM

Definitely check out the cemetery. Not only is the view spectacular but you can see how MANY people died in the mine...scary! I don't remember the exact numbers but thousands died...not hundreds, not tens. Also go to the museum, across from the Francis hotel down a block. I assume it is still open. Breakfast at the Francis ain't bad either....famous for their french toast.
I agree with buddha about the town. Get out and walk around, down side streets. The old wooden structures are pretty cool.
Don't forget the fried chicken place across from the train engine.

willardguy - 1-10-2015 at 10:54 AM

interesting they chose to honor Mahatma Gandhi for their new library? last trip through it was under construction, anyone visit it?

bajajudy - 1-10-2015 at 11:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
interesting they chose to honor Mahatma Gandhi for their new library? last trip through it was under construction, anyone visit it?

It has always been called that. I think this was just a remodeling.

Graham - 1-10-2015 at 12:34 PM

Thanks for the interesting pictures.

Santa Rosalia was for many years one of my favorite Baja spots. Before companies like Baja Mining staked their claims, my wife Bonni and I spent weeks and weeks camped out in the canyons around town, digging up interesting rocks and minerals and recording everything we could, and interviewing some of the locals.

Ah the lovely black sand beaches...

I think a lot of it was made up of furnace slag...

Perhaps not a good place to get a tan

Sure hope the mining companies have respected the old cemeteries in those canyons...

This one, in French, was particularly sad. Here lies Angele Bailly. Died 11 April 1897 at nine and a half months. Regretted by her father and mother.

toneart - 1-10-2015 at 01:37 PM

Great post and photos, Blanca!

Santa Rosalia has fascinating architecture. You can really see the French influence in the beautiful government buildings around the plaza, the Gandhi Library and the Eiffel designed and constructed church.

The rest of the town looks to me like an old western town in the United States. Lots of interesting, unique architecture, and colorful too. It is a wonder that the whole town has not caught fire with all its wooden structures.

Don't you miss Javier and Pilar at the immigration building? Well, I will never have to jump through their hoops again, having surrendered my FM3 two years ago. You have circumvented all of that hassle.

Congratulations on helping to raise the local plastic bag problem consciousness. You are teaching and yet, not being intrusive. Your community accepts you as their own.

Regards to Les!

Antonio Bandares :spingrin:

Pompano - 1-10-2015 at 01:55 PM

Blanca, muchas gracias. You made a very nice photo trip of one of our favorite Baja towns...Santa Rosalia. There is sooo much more to the place than the bakery, a metal church, and all the wood structures. Living so closely for so many years, I've got way too many photos to clutter up your thread. But here's a couple of my favorites from back-in-the-day. We have some history with the place.

1974. Co-Pilot and I spent a lot of great times in Sta. Rosalia and the area. One of our favorite hobbies was to go exploring/hiking around the old then-defunct mines in the mountains near Sta. Rosalia. We always came across some priceless objects..'junk'...but we made them muy importante by calling them ....'artifacts' - great fun.

Of course, a visit to this place was always a reason to head to the town and to.... 'El Boleo'! Yummmm...I'll just take all of those, por favor! ;)

[Edited on 1-11-2015 by Pompano]

mtnpop - 1-10-2015 at 02:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajajudy  
Definitely check out the cemetery. Not only is the view spectacular but you can see how MANY people died in the mine...scary! I don't remember the exact numbers but thousands died...not hundreds, not tens. Also go to the museum, across from the Francis hotel down a block. I assume it is still open. Breakfast at the Francis ain't bad either....famous for their french toast.
I agree with buddha about the town. Get out and walk around, down side streets. The old wooden structures are pretty cool.
Don't forget the fried chicken place across from the train engine.

The chicken place is Turco's I think,, right next to the school... great chicken dinner,, last I remember 1/2 chicken was 80 peso and a whole chicken was 180 peso go figure 2 halves are cheaper than the whole order
also love their squid dip they bring while you wait...
On my way.......

BajaBlanca - 1-10-2015 at 07:02 PM

wonderful trip down memory lane

we ate the half chicken on the way south and the cole slaw was delicious - it had pineapple in it - a first for me and it works.

Toneart - I do believe la bocana has now become one of the cleanest towns in all of Baja California Sur .... I am astounded myself.

There were three major cleanups last year - heck - every time I wanted to do a cleanup with the kids, the adults were busy at it!

The first of this year, the major cooperative supermarket (we call it the la bocana Costco since most products come from NOB) BANNED plastic shopping bags.

Who woulda thunk?

and really, plastic bags and soda bottles account for almost all the trash that flies around in town. I don't count the beer cans cause those don't last very long on the roads LOL

Back to santa rosalia - the child's grave is very, very sad.

Santa Rosalia is indeed full of history. REmember the book I read and shared about EL BOLEO and how they mistreated their employees? I don't doubt that many of those workers died due to lack of services.

what a cool thread ! Keep those pics coming folks.

bajabuddha - 1-10-2015 at 09:56 PM

The Hotel Frances bar and restaurant has been closed for a few years now; still worth a stop in just to look at the incredible woodworking and craftsmanship, and they'll give you a tour of the rooms if you ask... but alas, it's not the true gem it used to be.

Bakeries...... El Boleo is famous, yes. But if memory serves (which it DON'T) there's an older bakery in northern old-town... go north from the main entrance on Hwy 1 to the first 'topes' (a great pollo asada on the sea-side of the highway btw that has both a Pacifico and a Tecate deposito as neighbors if you want a cerveza w/ your chicken!) ... oops, I digress.... just north of the 1st tope north of main-town, turn west and go uphill (there are two roads, both ONE-WAY... take the correct one) and go to the top of the hill, then turn right to the end of the road (to the north). The bakery there I THINK is older than El Boleo, and the guy that runs it learned how to bake from Moses himself. As in, Old Testament Moses. Worth the exploration, and still making the absolute best pan in Baja. He'll give you a tour of their old ovens; it's the real deal, folks. Amazing place, and even more amazing people.

Pescador - 1-11-2015 at 06:55 AM

No, the guy who has the bakery north of town was the head baker at El Boleo and he signed a specific non-compete clause when he opened his own. That is why there is minimum advertising out front and none on the way to his bakery. But he has managed to get almost all of the sales of hot dog buns for the area from San Ignacio to Mulege. His business certainly rivals that of El Boleo from a production standpoint and I prefer most of his offerings.

Marc - 1-11-2015 at 07:41 AM

Great post. Thanks!:D:D:D:D

BajaBlanca - 1-11-2015 at 10:54 AM

The hotel frances really closed? now that all the people from the elboleo are present?

why??

willardguy - 1-11-2015 at 11:01 AM

The hotel frances really closed? now that all the people from the elboleo are present?

why??

this is kind of interesting I think. travel sites describe the frances as an elegant old hotel. historical sites describe it as being built as a "dormitory" for the "working girls" from the local bordello's! ;)

[Edited on 1-11-2015 by willardguy]

bajabuddha - 1-11-2015 at 12:51 PM

I didn't say the Hotel was closed; the restaurant and bar don't serve, but I think rooms might still be available.

JohnK - 1-11-2015 at 12:54 PM

My wife and I stayed at the Hotel Frances in October. Lovely historic hotel. No restaurant. There was a "breakfast" layout of bread next to toasters, some butter and jam, a pitcher of "juice", some coffee. Best ignored.

BajaBlanca - 1-11-2015 at 07:21 PM

ok whew...glad the hotel is still open and I think we had coffee there once or twice.

a room for the girls - imagine the stories those rooms could tell!

keep those pics and stories coming.

A trip to Sta. Rosalia, San Bruno, and San Lucas

Pompano - 1-11-2015 at 07:38 PM

The following is a photo story I wrote about 4 1/2 years ago. It's about San Bruno, San Lucas Cove, and Santa Rosalia. I hope it's not too long for you to enjoy. It should fit into this current thread Blanca has made about the unique mining town of Sta. Rosalia. With her kind permission I repeat it here.
-------
From May of 2010 and it starts this way:

We are at home in Coyote Bay...

Now an announcement came down from the Admiral. She said she needed a good hairdresser to fix her long hair which got messed up by cleaning out my cupboards and kitchen stuff.

She told me I had to improve my diet and began a kitchen inspection. She kept pulling things out and saying..."You eat this? This is poison."

.... ..a puzzling term she has for most of the canned goods, hot sauces, condiments, and foodstuffs in my cupboards...

She repeated the procedures the next day..."You eat this? Orrible Veleno! This is poison."

Some calming nerve tonic and a little rest is in order while the admiral finishes the kitchen inspection.

(She had thrown out a couple garbage pails full of... poison. Toss-toss-toss...And so on. Mmmm...wonder what's wrong with Heinz 57 and A-1? That sure was a lot of ketchup and oyster sauce. And all those containers of condiments can't be over 10-12 years old?)

So....a trip from Coyote Bay to Santa Rosalia (Cochenia) was on the roster. She was to get her hair done again at Nadia's salon. (..could almost swear we were just there a week or so ago?) Shaking off a suicidal urge to question commands, I roll out of my hammock, click my heels, salute with outstretched arm.. and off we went to the big mining town.

Naturally, I took some photos..which brings us to this post.

First, I took a couple of detours, I admit... just because I could. (..well, okay, so I asked.)

Detour 1

Santa Rosalia Airport (It's not exactly at Sta. Rosalia, but closer to Palo Verde, Pta. Chivato, and San Bruno. Makes sense, it is a little hilly around Cochenia; but more to the point, more developments loom on this site's nearby sandy shorelines.)

The Sta. Rosalia Airport Terminal

Amazing....you wouldn't think a little Cessna could carry that much fuel?

Now at the end of my Airport Tour, I proclaimed, "Well, Co-pilot, what did you think of that? Nice airport, eh?"

"Grazie, tesoro..it is not quite Rome's Leonardo de Vinci International, is it?.. or even your own Fargo Hector Field. It does remind one of Sheepdip, Australia, though."

A little miffed, I rumble on out of there. Sheepdip? Wha...? Hey, I haven't been THERE in some time...I wonder who told her about that...??

Detour 2
SAN BRUNO

Cruising north up the Baja Road...I said, "Co-pilot, as long as we're this close, how about taking a look at SAN BRUNO over there...for old time's sake?"

She turned to me, "Old times sake? What are you telling me now? I've never been there in my life. Who were you with?"

"Oh, never mind, I'll tell you all about it as we drive around the place.

A long time ago, in the early seventies, we used to come here a lot. A bunch of fishermen..just guys. Rather than run by boat all the way from Conception Bay, we used to trailer up the highway and launch off San Bruno. We fished nearby San Marcos and Tortuga islands. Fabulous fishing then.

There wasn't much in San Bruno at that time. Our best beach-launching area was through an elderly senora's yard. She kept a loose rope across the spot and we always donated a couple bucks for the 'priviledge of launching'...a welcome deal for us...and the senora."

"Ah..a Spa? With a boutique?"

"Hmmm...well, could be..you never know. We better keep moving or you'll be late for the hair appointment."

San Bruno has a nice waterfront marina. Good ramps and plenty of shade nearby.

"Ah..smell that fresh ocean breeze!"

"No, tesoro...I think your hair looks great blowing straight out in the wind like that....bella, honest.

Hey, remember that airport that reminded you of Sheepdip?
I bet you would be terrific as a wind sock!"

My eyes took in all the new streets and additions, "Well, there's sure been a lot of changes...like most of Baja."

We come upon a nice beach with a couple of youngsters.

Co-pilot laughs and points, "Look on the beach..bambini! Che cosa carina ragazzi!
Those two are so cute! Bravo, boys, bravo!

Don't eat that..spazzatura..it is Poison!

See you, boys. Ciao! Ciao!."

Detour 3
EJIDO SAN LUCAS

This small, well-stocked tienda is right on the main highway and is my spot for chichirrones and a beer. Sometimes you can also score some fresh oysters from the fridge. Just ask for ostiones..oh-stay-own-ay's

Or sometimes a friendly vendor will bring them by your house, like Manuel does below.

(Carumba, I'm going to eat these before anybody can call...Poison!)

Also Ejido San Lucas is the home of Mario, a nice young fellow who can install satellite dishes for television and internet. He has been to my Coyote Bay home several times...at first with his mentor, Nomad 'los frailes' Wayne Davies, who has regretably passed away. Wayne, you are missed by your many amigos.

Detour 4
SAN LUCAS COVE & CAMPGROUND

flashback warning

I show Co-pilot an old photo..circa 1996..of a camp we made at the Cove.

She gushes, "You are very handsome in this photo, tesoro...muy guapo."

Ouch!..."Uh..I took the photo, TESORO...sigh..."

flashback warning

We also used to use this cove as our jumping off place when visiting San Marcos Island and the little village there. The gypsum mining was very interesting to us and we took several tours there over the years. Here Blackjack joins me with some amigos for a looksee.

Now the GPS says, "**approaching destination..approaching destination..**"

===================SANTA ROSALIA=========================

Here is the new bridge completed after Hurricane Jimena destroyed the old one and washed out a large part of the highway. We got stuck with a 28ft cargo trailer in that washed-out section last September on a relief run to Mulege from San Diego...and again 10 days later. Hey, is that my farmhand jack down there?

Detour 5

We always enjoy stopping or staying at the El Morro. A nice hotel and cafe in Sta. Rosalia.

..and Co-pilot never fails to find an animal to pamper or save. Luckily, this one was the hotel mascot. I think the breed was Lobby Labrador.

I love the views....all of them...bella.
We best get going again...don't want to be late.

Highway scene coming in from the south...driving along the malecon.

Weather changes FAST along the coastline!

1st bay view

10 minutes later....

Well..maybe not quite THAT fast ..but close...

A new coffee shop opened in November.....

Dang! Already closed...and the cheesecake was sooo delicious....sigh..

Glad I am not out fishing today...well, maybe just for one or two yellowtail?

One of the Pemex gas stations of Sta. Rosalia. More has been written about these stations than all the others in Baja put together.

The Ferry Terminal and Office. Take the ferry to Guaymas, anyone? Pull in right here.

flashback warning

Here an old photo (1976) of me and .. my sister...Si, tesoro... or maybe a cousin. We are about to take that ferry shown behind us. I think it's the 'Benito Juarez'. Was quite the trip..thank God we survived...it was mucho viento!

Next door to the ferry building, you will find some official government offices. Immagracion, Judicial, Social Services, Finances, etc.

A little further north along the malecon, you will come to my favorite place in Sta. Rosalia...the Marina.

Boats - boats - boats...ah...

'Yo ho-HO...the wind blows free. Oh, for the life on the rolling sea!'

"Yes, yes, amore mio...you will have the singing voice soon..soon if you practice, practice."
Now, we still have time for a delicious brunch before Nadia's. You must phone for a table?"

"Phone? I don't think Pepe has room for a phone, tesoro..and you can sit on that white bucket while I get the fish tacos. Maize or harina?"

After 'brunch' we drive towards the downtown area.

flashback warning

1975 Downtown Sta. Rosalia . My new red/white El Camino with amigos from Coyote Bay. The Doves, Cliff & Kathy, JW Black (Blackjack from Gardner's Baja expeditions) and wife, Lois. I think we had just finished some really good brunch at this cafe. I believe it was Turcos.

Continueing on into downtown...lots of activity.

The famous metal church. I believe Christian.

A stop at the metal church is always nice. Take the time to read it's colorful history and about it's engineer-designer, Gustave Eiffel. A very interesting story.

In Sta. Rosalia all roads lead you to THE WORLD FAMOUS BOLEO BAKERY...or is it the wonderful fresh baking smells?...ahhhh. Come along, you know you want some. The old bakery up the hill is superb, but this is much more convenient.

Drive past the church and up to THE HEIGHTS OF STA. ROSALIA.
Now we climb the winding road up to the higher level of Santa Rosalia. Up past the Naval Hospital and enter the old homes and offices of the Bolea Mining Company. Compagnie de Boleo

LOCOMOTIVE MONUMENT

Home of the HOTEL FRANCES

I remember meeting an architect named Carlos who supervised the restoration of this elegant old hotel many years earlier. Lots of South American hardwoods went into this place..maghogany, teak, etc..very nice and well done. Co-pilot admires the decor today.
flashback warning
Back in the day, Carlos invited me over to view the final results...and I brought some friends. We had our photo taken in the bar of the hotel.

Can you believe we wore those sunflower jeans back in the 70's? I sure wish I could fit into those today. Hey,I'm trying as we speak.

No Martini - No Party.

BUZZ! BUZZ! BUZZ! The GPS alarm clock goes off..reminding me of Co-pilot's hair appointment.

We are running out of time to make it to Nadia's, so I rush down the streets...some cop blew a whistle at me...but this is life and death...extraordinary excuses apply here.

Whew..made it.

I drop off Co-pilot at the front door...just in the nick of time.

shudder..that could have been real trouble.

Well now...

That hairdo will take some time, so I have another taco and a beer at Pepe's.

Then off to see some more old sights of this strange Baja town. More of a French village with all the clapboard houses and stores.

Lumber!..lots of lumber. Brought over on the ships during the old mining days.

MY OLD SAT-TV GUIDE BOOKSTORE!

Just down one of the side streets a door or two sits a little bookstore....
..where many years ago I used to buy my highly prized tv guide book for C-band satellite tv..called 'Orbit'. Does anyone remember that great magazine?

It was the Bible for tv viewing back in the day. You protected your copy with your life.

This little store was the only place in southern Baja where I could find it. Finding a copy was like looking for the Holy Grail. I spend some time browsing in this old favorite store...ah, the memories.

Cochenia's zocalo..main square..is a typically nice place to spend some time...or enjoy a public event.

I sit for a while to enjoy the tranquility ... dodge some pigeons in the tree above.

I DROVE BACK UP ON THE HILL - VIEW FROM HIGH STREET - OVERLOOKING THE SEA OF CORTEZ...

..and imagine what it was like back in it's heyday..I daydream for a bit.

The peaceful look of this scene was enough to make me silently take this reader's photograph. Gracias, senor, if I only had a book...

I lazily drive around some of the back and side streets, looking for...?...
...nothing, nothing at all.

Kind of nice, just cruising..not a care in the.....

Opps. What time is it? Sheesh..That hairdo must have been done for a while now!

Ay Carumba..time to make tracks to Nadia's! Andiamo! Andiamo!"

..The cop blows his whistle really long and loud this time......

Hmm...does she look mad or happy to see me? I'm betting on glad..and staying alive..
"Ciao, tesoro! Come stai? How was the hair cut?

Oh..a pedicure, too..again? Yes...those toes look great. What color is that?

Hmm?..Oh yes, the hair, too...yes, indeed. Same color, no?

My-my, you look like a million martinis...er..bucks.

Say.. how about we stop for some fresh fruit?
I know how much you like mangos and papayas. Maybe some pineapple, too?

You really weren't waiting too long, right tesoro? Did I tell you the hair is very nice??"

We drive away..taking the perimeter road...much quieter... and no harrassing traffic cops.

"Here we are.....your favorite fruit market. Nice fresh stuff."

"Take your time, sweetheart. You pick it...I'll carry it."

And so we head home...to relax after a big day.

" Where's my martini? What - no martini? Whaddya mean..Poison? What's this?"

And that's the end of another day in Baja...and this story.

Gracias, Blanca.

[Edited on 1-13-2015 by Pompano]

David K - 1-12-2015 at 09:53 AM

Wow Roger, just a super dooper job with the travel guide of the region, as always! Thank you for sharing it here with us.

BajaBlanca - 1-12-2015 at 11:08 AM

Love it! Great storytelling and pics, as always! Got more?

SteveWil - 1-12-2015 at 11:29 AM

"The chicken place is Turco's I think,, right next to the school... great chicken dinner,, last I remember 1/2 chicken was 80 peso and a whole chicken was 180 peso go figure 2 halves are cheaper than the whole order
......."

The whole chicken is Family style, the sides will feed about 6.

BajaRat - 1-12-2015 at 03:56 PM

Roger, you Dapper Don. Every thing looks great from here. :cool:

Bajahowodd - 1-12-2015 at 06:02 PM

On our way to Punta Chivato, of course we stopped at Santa Rosalia both going and coming. Here is a glimpse at our trek. If you don't like posts with lots of pics. go ahead and skip this one altogether.

The first stop we made was at a student's house in Punta Abreojos . They are all competing to see who can recycle the most plastic. It can then be dropped off at CampoFisher or in this case, we were taking it all the way to Santa Rosalia. They now have collection receptacles everywhere in town!

Here is the loot:

Here is the loot being left in Santa Rosalia to be taken to China:

Once in town we dropped by three hardware stores -here are pics of two of them:

the main square was gearing up for DIA DE REYES and boy - this is gonna be one heck of a party!

we were told that this restaurant has delicious tacos el pastor but it (as you can see) was closed for lunch on Thursday -perhaps it only opens for dinners?

It is located on the left as you head north on main highway. go past the Chinese. go past the stop sign. it is on the left:

This is the restaurant we ate at -it has internet which I appreciate:

Santa Rosalia has some quaint old homes that I wish had their stories written in books for all to read:

we were under the impression that we had to renew out Mexican IFE cards but we are good to go:

We both admit that we are GLAD GLAD GLAD perhaps even ecstatic that we are now Mexicanos and will never have to enter this building again :)))))

Of course Santa Rosalia boasts this cute library - renovated not too long ago:

and lastly - I guess there is a tourist book that promotes the black sand beaches of santa rosalia. we, years ago, met two young ones who were ever so disappointed as they backpacked into town just to experience the black sand beaches. We gave them a ride to Bahia Concepcion. Surely prettier than this:

and that is all folks - hope you enjoyed this mini trek.

[Edited on 1-10-2015 by BajaBlanca]

That restaurant you ate at, was it not El Muelle? They have the most diverse menu in Mid Baja. Always enjoyed it.

Maron - 1-12-2015 at 10:43 PM

What a tour, thanks to all for the photos and stories.