BajaNomad

Motorcycle trip

ehall - 1-10-2015 at 06:32 AM

Met up with Larry from Bajatrailrides.com and rode some awesome single track and fast and fun two track around San Vicente and Erindira.

ehall - 1-10-2015 at 06:34 AM

Larry named this trail bushwacker.

ehall - 1-10-2015 at 06:36 AM

The scenery was great. Wish I had taken more than 3 pictures.

ehall - 1-10-2015 at 06:38 AM

I think I caught Larry by surprise when I took this picture. We were having a blast.

David K - 1-10-2015 at 08:55 AM

Nice times, thanks! Great to enjoy the landscape...

TMW - 1-10-2015 at 01:01 PM

That is beautiful country, thanks.

willardguy - 1-10-2015 at 01:05 PM

hey is Larry a friend or were you a paying customer? looks like fun!

ehall - 1-10-2015 at 01:30 PM

I put a post on thumpertalk looking for someone to ride with. Larry offered to show me around for free if I would help him reopen a trail that had grown over. We hacked thru the jungle to reopen the trail and then 4 of us rode it. I definitely consider him a friend now.

Gulliver - 1-10-2015 at 05:06 PM

I've been wanting to ride that road that goes up the coast from Erindira and connects back to Rt. 1 around Santo Tomas (I think it goes through).

I'm always in too much of a hurry to get down here to Mulege.

Pompano - 1-10-2015 at 05:55 PM

Yes..... at least it did. Road condition will be as is...reports a month old cannot be accurate. Also here's a great place for a first night's campsite. A place called The White Tanks just out of Erindira. Big photo on left. Primo views from the site.

Other pics are top - Agua Verde and bottom - Catavina boulder fields.

Pacifico - 1-11-2015 at 05:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Gulliver  
I've been wanting to ride that road that goes up the coast from Erindira and connects back to Rt. 1 around Santo Tomas (I think it goes through).

Yes it goes through. Beautiful section of coast...

David K - 1-11-2015 at 06:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Pacifico  

Yes it goes through. Beautiful section of coast...

Overall area and major roads...

Topo map...

Gulliver - 1-11-2015 at 06:13 PM

Where did that second map come from. I have as much detail on my Baja Almanac but yours is nicer looking.

[Edited on 1-12-2015 by Gulliver]

David K - 1-11-2015 at 06:19 PM

That is the 2003 Baja California Almanac... more detail, bigger scale than the 2009 one.

Here are the two, side by side, 2003 L and 2009 R:

BajaBlanca - 1-11-2015 at 07:10 PM

sounds like you had an awesome trip - what an adventure hacking away the growth. Made the journey all the more worth it, I'm sure.

ehall - 1-12-2015 at 06:07 PM

Working with Larry and 2 local guys that spoke no English was one of the best parts of the trip. Funny how little the language barrier mattered. We laughed all day.

bajadogs - 1-12-2015 at 08:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  
Working with Larry and 2 local guys that spoke no English was one of the best parts of the trip. Funny how little the language barrier mattered. We laughed all day.

That's awesome! Smiling and laughing is global:lol:

Gulliver - 1-12-2015 at 08:36 PM

I'm headed out from Mulege over to the coast with a couple of locals (Pak and Daniel) next weekend but Pac speaks english just fine. They have hopes of leaving my bones in some ravine. Leaving at dawn and getting back after dark. I gather from their stories that no one has been over the Westbound leg this Winter except one quad and a couple of bikes. Goat track. I will probably learn some humility. Again.

ehall - 1-13-2015 at 05:34 PM

I'm headed out from Mulege over to the coast with a couple of locals (Pak and Daniel) next weekend but Pac speaks english just fine. They have hopes of leaving my bones in some ravine. Leaving at dawn and getting back after dark. I gather from their stories that no one has been over the Westbound leg this Winter except one quad and a couple of bikes. Goat track. I will probably learn some humility. Again.

Hiking? Bike?Quad? Sounds like an adventure.

Gulliver - 1-13-2015 at 05:52 PM

Motorcycles and one quad. These guys run the local repair shop and have been bashing around in the hills between Mulege and Purisma for quite a while.

Probably it will be fairly exhausting and I will, as all too often, over do it.

Don't get the idea that I haven't had a long history of gross stupidity on bikes. I won my first short track race in 65 and my last Speedway bike win was six years ago on my 65th. birthday. Rode the Isle of Man twice. Terrifying!

In other words, no brains.

willardguy - 1-13-2015 at 06:04 PM

Motorcycles and one quad. These guys run the local repair shop and have been bashing around in the hills between Mulege and Purisma for quite a while.

Probably it will be fairly exhausting and I will, as all too often, over do it.

Don't get the idea that I haven't had a long history of gross stupidity on bikes. I won my first short track race in 65 and my last Speedway bike win was six years ago on my 65th. birthday. Rode the Isle of Man twice. Terrifying!

In other words, no brains.

oh no, you are one of the smart ones, you kept riding! after a 20 year hiatus I just bought a WR-F thinking I could ride around the hills here in rosarito. It ain't going so good!:(

Gulliver - 1-13-2015 at 07:34 PM

Aha! That's what you get for buying such a monster.

I'm riding a pretty much stock 94 Suzuki DR-350. Maybe 30 h.p. when I'm bragging. Stone reliable with 24K Baja miles on it No frightening surges of oomph. Just keeps grinding away.

I haven't set the valves in ten years. Some day I must change that spark plug. Really.

willardguy - 1-13-2015 at 07:43 PM

Aha! That's what you get for buying such a monster.

I'm riding a pretty much stock 94 Suzuki DR-350. Maybe 30 h.p. when I'm bragging. Stone reliable with 24K Baja miles on it No frightening surges of oomph. Just keeps grinding away.

I haven't set the valves in ten years. Some day I must change that spark plug. Really.

yeah, instead of all the performance mods I should have been thinking "governor"! :rolleyes:

Gulliver - 1-13-2015 at 07:52 PM

In my case above a certain speed the wind blowing up my nose causes me to smell liniment and bandages and then the muscles in my right forearm tighten making my wrist rotate away from me thus backing off on the gas.

Works for me!

bajatrailrider - 1-26-2015 at 10:52 PM

I want to thank Ed that was so kind to help reopen the Jungle trail.It is abandoned road for the last 50years.I found it 25years ago.Only thing that kept it open was the Cows.Two weeks before Ed came out to help.Me and another rider,did our best to ride it.I had not been on the trail for 15 years,because of the overgrowth.After me and other rider fell down,and got trapped in the brush.Going down hill,We decided.Lets get the Hell out of here.Well to get out up hill we fell down and got stuck only 10 more times.(I didn't tell Ed that) Last Sunday,Me ,Alma,two Mexican riders.Rode it again,We made it in only 3 hours.Will post pictures soon as I can figure out how to.Next time you come out Ed,all riding no more work.BTR

ehall - 1-27-2015 at 07:06 AM

Good to see you on here Larry. I am still amazed that Alma(all of maybe 100 pounds) can ride trails like that. Was the gate at the hwy still locked? lol

bajatrailrider - 1-27-2015 at 06:08 PM

Dont tell people that Im looking at locked gate,and dont know what to do.When there was no fence on side of gate! Alma cleaned the trail,never fell or needed help.The two Mexican boys fell off 5/6 times.

bajatrailrider - 2-2-2015 at 09:41 PM

Few pictures Jungle trail:)

CIMG3790.JPG - 140kB

bajatrailrider - 2-2-2015 at 09:43 PM

CIMG3789.JPG - 160kB

bajatrailrider - 2-2-2015 at 09:45 PM

CIMG3784.JPG - 160kB

bajalearner - 2-3-2015 at 08:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
That is the 2003 Baja California Almanac... more detail, bigger scale than the 2009 one.

Here are the two, side by side, 2003 L and 2009 R:

Is the 2009 issue the latest one available? I see it on Amazon for $65. used.

David K - 2-3-2015 at 08:52 AM

Yes, it is the last one made by Landon... They are for sale cheaper at http://BajaBooksAndMaps.com by mail or perhaps also at the Discover Baja Travel Club store in San Diego.

Amazon and the above two Baja book sources also have this gem: :light::biggrin:

Don't leave home without it! :cool:

ehall - 2-3-2015 at 12:19 PM

Nice plug for your book DK. Great pictures Larry. Looks kind of foggy. That would be fun.

bajatrailrider - 2-3-2015 at 01:09 PM

Yes little foggy. The Baja Almanac I have been using is older then 1986. When it shows small doted trails.Good luck going on that with your motorcycle unless you work it.I have found the map to be dead on.Only problem many of the trails,abondon roads I ride.Are before this Almanac ever came out. Here is one in Forest.

bajatrailrider - 2-3-2015 at 01:11 PM

Some one here long time ago,even fire place

CIMG3673.JPG - 124kB

bajatrailrider - 2-3-2015 at 01:13 PM

On rancho in forest

CIMG3685.JPG - 188kB

bajatrailrider - 2-3-2015 at 01:25 PM

Still in forest:)

CIMG3686.JPG - 182kB

ehall - 2-3-2015 at 05:21 PM

I see alot of water on the rocks. Did someone fall in or just take a different line? Riding single track thru the forest is something I don't get to do often enough.

David K - 2-3-2015 at 05:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Yes little foggy. The Baja Almanac I have been using is older then 1986. When it shows small doted trails.Good luck going on that with your motorcycle unless you work it.I have found the map to be dead on.Only problem many of the trails,abondon roads I ride.Are before this Almanac ever came out. Here is one in Forest.

I would really appreciate it if you could look at the name and copyright date of this map book from before 1986!

Thank you!

bajatrailrider - 2-3-2015 at 08:53 PM

David it longer has the cover on it,as we have used it many times.I did see (So must be 1986)copyright 1986. You asked Ed did someone fall in water.It was me,all riders walked the bikes over rocks,but not bone head me.It wont let me post that picture.I will try to resend,if it wont come up I will email it to you maybe you can post. I have many forest trails waiting for you Ed.