BajaNomad

how to keep the roads safe

joerover - 1-16-2015 at 08:42 PM

hit the brakes when youo see a bicycle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyOiX0XhAlk&list=PLxKeRj...

[Edited on 1-17-2015 by joerover]

Gulliver - 1-16-2015 at 08:45 PM

What's celtic music got to do with road safety?

joerover - 1-16-2015 at 08:48 PM

Irish roads are safe for bicycles
perhaps better music would... ... .

joerover - 1-16-2015 at 08:50 PM

i cycled the coast of Ireland, all of it, without one problem.
nomads are the basket casesof the car world they need to be reminded to

hit the brakes

bajabuddha - 1-16-2015 at 11:00 PM

TROLL ALERT

mikeymarlin - 1-17-2015 at 07:11 AM

hey joerover-- I just drove the whole distance--round trip--bicycles on the highway are creating DANGEROUS conditions--for themselves and motorist--- come around a curve and here they are-- quick swerve to
the left across center - line necessary---

probably better to go to Ireland---

Marc - 1-17-2015 at 07:48 AM

Really cool video...but I don't see the connection:light::light::light:

the baja hwy !! LOL..thats funny !!

captkw - 1-17-2015 at 08:09 AM

its a simple fact that the Baja #1 was built for helping the Baja resadents ...not for bikes !! never was in the picture and bikes on this road are a danger to all !!! no one wants to hit a bike !! and no one wants to get hit because of a stupid bike....SO any FOOL that rides a bike on this narrow road puts all in dire straits...simple fact of life !!!

Gulliver - 1-17-2015 at 08:42 AM

I agree. Troll alert.

why are nomads the worst drivers out there

joerover - 1-17-2015 at 02:04 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfmkgQRmmeE

smart people hit the brakes when they see a bicycle
baja nomads blame someone else because they are unable to drive safely

why is that

Hook - 1-17-2015 at 02:45 PM

You obviously dont live down here.

If you did, you'd know that the locals, who really dont have to have any training in driving or pass any real tests to get their licenses, are much, much worse drivers that ANY Nomad. And that's when they are sober.

Then, there are the safety issues with the cars they drive; bald tires, failing brakes, lights out, failing clutch, tailpipe smoke screen, cracked glass, no side view mirror, and on and on..............

The fastest drivers in my neck of the woods are all locals as well, doing 2-2.5 times the posted speed limit in town. Not all of them speed like this, mind you, but the ones who do are almost always sporting Sonora plates.

But I understand your knee-jerk reaction to a few people on the board. I think their antipathy towards bicycle riders is probably overexaggerated on a message board. Otherwise, we would have heard about more bicyclists being killed by the Deadly Nomad Driver. :o

cabobaja - 1-17-2015 at 02:46 PM

You are not a nomad! Why waste your time posting
here? Please, you hit the brakes!!!

David K - 1-17-2015 at 02:58 PM

You can't post here unless you are "a Nomad"! LOL

Some of you who think the part of Hwy. 1 made in 1973 was done so to serve bike riders, really need a reality check. Nobody should die or have a conflict with others on the highway, there are just parts where being an un-motorized user is just dangerous to everyone. Use the parallel dirt roads down Baja, for safety and for more enjoyment of Nature!

Read the post on Talk Baja (Facebook) about the nine killed and I believe the cars that hit the bike riders were Mexican, not American or Canadian Baja Nomad members?

baja43 - 1-17-2015 at 03:20 PM

Quick question back to you, Joerover...why are bicycle riders putting themselves and others in danger by using Mex1?

Close Calls keep Cyclists on their Toes

MrBillM - 1-17-2015 at 03:22 PM

Reminding them of the laws of physics and their mortality.

Those near-misses are, therefore, a Public Service !

It was interesting that a post-New Year's L.A. Times article on the new laws in California featured a photo of a bunch of Bicyclists.

Overflowing both sides of their Bicycle Lane.

mtgoat666 - 1-17-2015 at 03:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by baja43  
Quick question back to you, Joerover...why are bicycle riders putting themselves and others in danger by using Mex1?

Because bike riders have equal rights to use the road.
The person causing the danger is the person driving too fast.
The better question: why are you driving too fast?

David K - 1-17-2015 at 03:40 PM

Ask any highway expert... slow drivers are responsible for more accidents!

http://www.motorists.org/speed-limits/faq

Q. Isn't slower always safer?

A. No, federal and state studies have consistently shown that the drivers most likely to get into accidents in traffic are those traveling significantly below the average speed. According to research, those driving 10 mph slower than the prevailing speed are more likely to be involved in an accident. That means that if the average speed on an interstate is 70 mph, the person traveling at 60 mph is more likely to be involved in an accident than someone going 70 or even 80 mph.

HIT THE GAS!!! :light:

mtgoat666 - 1-17-2015 at 03:41 PM

The only people causing unsafe conditions are drivers that drive too fast and therefore are unable to stop for rocks, slow vehicles, animals, bikes, and potholes. You drivers should slow down and pass slower traffic only when safe to do so. Why is it so hard for some of you to understand that?

David K - 1-17-2015 at 03:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
The only people causing unsafe conditions are drivers that drive too fast and therefore are unable to stop for rocks, slow vehicles, animals, bikes, and potholes. You drivers should slow down and pass slower traffic only when safe to do so. Why is it so hard for some of you to understand that?

Can you understand this?:

Marc - 1-17-2015 at 04:00 PM

I've been practicing 60 years to be a lousy driver. Probably kill a few people soon.:lol::lol::lol:

David K - 1-17-2015 at 04:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Marc  
I've been practicing 60 years to be a lousy driver. Probably kill a few people soon.:lol::lol::lol:

Hit the gas Marc!!! :light: :lol::lol::lol:

joerover - 1-17-2015 at 04:34 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wnEVoyukU4&list=RD5wnEV...
You obviously dont live down here.

If you did, you'd know that the locals, who really dont have to have any training in driving or pass any real tests to get their licenses, are much, much worse drivers that ANY Nomad. And that's when they are sober.

I know the locals all to well. You are dead ass wrong. The Mexicans do hit thier brakes. The nomads do not drive in a safe way. Did you know the sea of cortez was between you and baja?

Read the post on Talk Baja (Facebook
copy and paste it here

accept that you must hit the brakes whenyou see a bicycle
when you begin to use your brakes the danger evaporates.

there are some sick sick people here
Those near-misses are, therefore, a Public Service !
nomads are the basket cases of the car world
mrbill whick trailer park do you live in.

Ask any highway expert. drive the posted speed limit

I've been practicing 60 years to be a lousy driver. Probably kill a few people soon
repeat 10 times
hit the brakes when you see a bicycle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7UWm5nXXqQ

acadist - 1-17-2015 at 04:41 PM

No one wants to get hurt or hurt others.......but, as a tourist using the road I take the risk in my car (have you ever driven an F250 with a bus coming in the other direction?) and accept the hazards. Bicycles are no different and by deciding to pedal Mex 1 have decided to accept the risk.

desertcpl - 1-17-2015 at 05:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by joerover  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfmkgQRmmeE

smart people hit the brakes when they see a bicycle
baja nomads blame someone else because they are unable to drive safely

why is that

Please Nomads ,, do not feed the Trolls

Carnage Asada in Baja

MrBillM - 1-17-2015 at 07:03 PM

Don't MOST (nearly ALL) of those roadside crosses represent local Mexican drivers and passengers ?

chippy - 1-17-2015 at 07:27 PM

I think "Hook" pretty much nailed it. joerover is a wanker.

mtgoat666 - 1-17-2015 at 09:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  
I think "Hook" pretty much nailed it. joerover is a wanker.

Well, I suppose being a wanker is better than being any of the multiple undesirable personality types in the nomad anti-bike crowd.

LancairDriver - 1-17-2015 at 10:26 PM

Unless Nomads are extremely secretive about any traffic accidents they have, of the thousands of posts on this board I can't remember any accident reports. Also irrespective of the biker rants, has there been any reports of a Nomad making a hood ornament out of a biker? Close calls maybe, but close only counts in horseshoes. I think the facts will support that the Nomads in general have to be pretty safe drivers.

wilderone - 1-18-2015 at 08:34 AM

"why are bicycle riders putting themselves and others in danger by using Mex1"
As with a cow, goat, fallen rocks, stalled vehicle on the side of the road, they are a hazard to avoid. Sometimes the avoidance event occurs on a blind curve - there are many such blind curves on Mex. 1. Although Mex. 1 is continually be upgraded with shoulders, most of Mex. 1 has no shoulder, and for hundreds of miles, the road drops off a 1'-2' ditch. In sum, when a driver is confronted with avoiding a cyclist, he/she and the cyclist must contend with every condition the avoidance event presents - which might just be on a blind curve, with an 18-wheeler in the other lane, taking up 2 feet of your lane, with no place for the cyclist or motorist to go except possibly over a cliff. Not impossible and like probable.

Bajaboy - 1-18-2015 at 09:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
You can't post here unless you are "a Nomad"! LOL

Some of you who think the part of Hwy. 1 made in 1973 was done so to serve bike riders, really need a reality check. Nobody should die or have a conflict with others on the highway, there are just parts where being an un-motorized user is just dangerous to everyone. Use the parallel dirt roads down Baja, for safety and for more enjoyment of Nature!

Read the post on Talk Baja (Facebook) about the nine killed and I believe the cars that hit the bike riders were Mexican, not American or Canadian Baja Nomad members?

David I rode 90 miles yesterday along S2 yesterday. That narrow highway has no shoulders either. I had no issues whatsoever with drivers. Most passed wide or slowed down until it was safe to pass.

I have no desire to ride hwy one. But it's not the highway that is unsafe but those who drive it. You never know what is around the bend....a cow, broken down vehicle, or a bicycle.

durrelllrobert - 1-18-2015 at 10:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by baja43  

Because bike riders have equal rights to use the road.
The person causing the danger is the person driving too fast.
The better question: why are you driving too fast?

Do bike riders pay gasoline taxes to build and maintain the highways in Mexico or the US?

durrelllrobert - 1-18-2015 at 10:15 AM

Can you understand this?:

Montana just increased the Maximum speed limit to 85 mph and it is already 80 in a lot of states.

mtgoat666 - 1-18-2015 at 10:36 AM

Ask any highway expert... slow drivers are responsible for more accidents!

Q. Isn't slower always safer?

A. No, federal and state studies have consistently shown that the drivers most likely to get into accidents in traffic are those traveling significantly below the average speed. According to research, those driving 10 mph slower than the prevailing speed are more likely to be involved in an accident. That means that if the average speed on an interstate is 70 mph, the person traveling at 60 mph is more likely to be involved in an accident than someone going 70 or even 80 mph.

HIT THE GAS!!! :light:

It says much that DK would support his argument by choosing to quote an organization that fights against drunk driving laws and funds lobbying against efforts of MADD.

He should have closed his argument with "hit the gas while drunk!"

Marc - 1-18-2015 at 11:10 AM

All kidding aside re my last post. I raced bikes for 25+ years and have trained thousands of miles on California roads and I have the scars to prove it. My wife kidded that she was going to publish a book on emergency rooms. I was hospitalized in for over a week after crashing during a race. So I do have some experience out in traffic. That being said..CYCLING HIGHWAY ONE IS FOR FOOLS.
This is me in 1984, Monitor Pass, Nevada.

David K - 1-18-2015 at 11:42 AM

Goat, why dont you protest Ca dept of transportation because bicycles are not allowed on freeways here? Why is that? Such descrimination!

joerover - 1-18-2015 at 12:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
"
As with a cow, goat, fallen rocks, stalled vehicle on the side of the road, they are a hazard to avoid. Sometimes the avoidance event occurs on a blind curve - there are many such blind curves on Mex. 1. Although Mex. 1 is continually be upgraded with shoulders, he/she and the cyclist must contend with every condition the avoidance event presents -.[/rquote

this is why you decide now what to do

HIT THE BRAKES
when you see a bicycle

why did you not slow down for a blind curve? Before you got there?

nomed brains are slow thinking
decide before it hapens

what do you do when you see a bicycle
say it out loud
HIT THE BRAKES
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L7gsJfgJaw

joe

captkw - 1-18-2015 at 12:48 PM

Listen up fool for every mile you have driven I have easyly driven 10K for your single mile without any question,,so when I say you a fool,,Idiot,,self centered,, sorry excuse for a fellow human if you want to promote bick riding down the Baja # 1.......what the HELL wrong with you ???? are you really this STUPID ???????

[Edited on 1-18-2015 by captkw]

joerover - 1-18-2015 at 12:53 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGO9jNHH5Lw

HIT THE GAS!!! :light:[/rquote]

It says much that DK would support his argument by choosing to quote an organization that fights against drunk driving laws and funds lobbying against efforts of MADD.

[/rquote]

davidk sems to have a guilt complex
he is attempting to justify a hit and run?
he is not attempting to convince others, he wants to convince himself,
david your restitution should be to convince nomads to hit the brakes when they see a bicycle

it was your fault

joe

captkw - 1-18-2015 at 12:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by captkw  
Listen up fool for every mile you have driven I have easyly driven 10K for your single mile without any question,,so when I say you a fool,,Idiot,,self centered,, sorry excuse for a fellow human if you want to promote bick riding down the Baja # 1.......what the HELL wrong with you ???? are you really this STUPID ??????? HEY put a big pink sign on your back and ride the hwy..just give me/us the dates !!!

B A D D

joerover - 1-18-2015 at 01:12 PM

bicyclist against drunk drivers
bicyclist against dumb drivers

afraid to cycle forced to ride bus

damm nomads

[Edited on 1-18-2015 by joerover]

joerover - 1-18-2015 at 01:18 PM

you have a licence?

sounds like more guilt boiling over
sober up you old fool

Listen up fool for every mile you have driven I have easyly driven 10K for your single mile without any question,,so when I say you a fool,,Idiot,,self centered,, sorry excuse for a fellow human if you want to promote bick riding down the Baja # 1.......what the HELL wrong with you ???? are you really this STUPID ???????

toneart - 1-18-2015 at 02:33 PM

This has been an ongoing topic for years. Some feel passionate about their opinions. Fine! But why start this string by insulting Nomads? Troll indeed! Your opinion is valid but you would accomplish more in the way of extracting a discussion without the rancor.

"Hit the brakes" is good advice in general, for any drivers anywhere.

Discussion here on this forum is all we can achieve. Bicycles will continue to ride HWY 1. Accidents will happen.Motor vehicle drivers and passengers may occasionally be involved. People will drive too fast.

My point is, insults to Nomads on their site will accomplish nothing. But without the insults, the advice "Hit the brakes" may raise the consciousness of drivers (or not), which is what you want, right?

Regarding the topic, nothing will change regarding the presence of bicycles, narrow roads and speeding drivers. This is only a place to express your opinions, so keep it cordial.

I am not the Nomad police, so this is only my opinion. And...my opinion will probably not change anything. :light:

Barry A. - 1-18-2015 at 04:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by toneart  
This has been an ongoing topic for years. Some feel passionate about their opinions. Fine! But why start this string by insulting Nomads? Troll indeed! Your opinion is valid but you would accomplish more in the way of extracting a discussion without the rancor.

Discussion here on this forum is all we can achieve. Bicycles will continue to ride HWY 1. Accidents will happen.Motor vehicle drivers and passengers may occasionally be involved. People will drive too fast.

My point is, insults to Nomads on their site will accomplish nothing. But without the insults, the advice "Hit the brakes" may raise the consciousness of drivers (or not), which is what you want, right?

Regarding the topic, nothing will change regarding the presence of bicycles, narrow roads and speeding drivers. This is only a place to express your opinions, so keep it cordial.

I am not the Nomad police, so this is only my opinion. And...my opinion will probably not change anything. :light:

Excellent comments, Tony----------truly words to live by!!!! (IMO)

Barry

Drivers and Cyclists

MrBillM - 1-18-2015 at 05:03 PM

Will be filtered by Darwin and sorted by God.

IF we simply let the Natural processes work.

joerover - 1-18-2015 at 05:04 PM

This ongoing topic

Discussion, the advice "Hit the brakes" may raise the consciousness of drivers

sadly cordial does not work as the people who do not hit the brakes are below the minium iq level. READ, pills, drugs, beer,
a person of reasonable intelligence would already know to hit the brakes.
why nomads collects non intelligent people is another thread
just
HIT THE BRAKES when you see a bicycle

so repeat 100 times out loud
when you see a bicycle
HIT THE BRAKES

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPu_G-T28iU&index=1&...

toneart - 1-18-2015 at 06:00 PM

This ongoing topic

Discussion, the advice "Hit the brakes" may raise the consciousness of drivers

sadly cordial does not work as the people who do not hit the brakes are below the minium iq level. READ, pills, drugs, beer,
a person of reasonable intelligence would already know to hit the brakes.
why nomads collects non intelligent people is another thread
just
HIT THE BRAKES when you see a bicycle

so repeat 100 times out loud
when you see a bicycle
HIT THE BRAKES

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPu_G-T28iU&index=1&...

This quote is not mine. Some of the words are mine but Joerover has impersonated me in the quote.

No ethics! No discussion possible. I'm out of this conversation!

mtgoat666 - 1-18-2015 at 06:41 PM

you have a licence?

sober up you old fool

Chrisx,
Captkw has an excuse for his foul attacks, he is a mean drunk,... And a DWI menace to Cagers and bicyclists. His spelling and rambling posts with attacks and grandiose boasting should clue you in he does drunk posting too.

Slow down, share the road!

joerover - 1-18-2015 at 07:58 PM

[rquote=959003&tid=77251&author=]
you have a licence?
sober up you old fool

driven 10K for your single mile I am really this STUPID ???????

Captkw is a mean drunk,... And a DWI menace to Cagers and bicyclists. His spelling and rambling posts with attacks and grandiose boasting should clue you in he does drunk posting too.

sad news, he is just one of many
thanks for explaining why I must say
HIT THE BRAKES
when you see a bicycle
what happened to dennis?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmG-QttLETo&list=RDBkVCK...

joerover - 1-18-2015 at 08:14 PM

But suddenly, I felt weird thing.?I didn't know what is happening at first. The view was blinked like turning on and off light in the dark.. 'Why I cannot see clear?' And the next thought 'Am I sliding??' And then I saw the car on my head.. 'Am I hit by car??'

And I realized my head was moving under (with) his car. I think I shouted 'Hey I am under your car.. Stop'
I was lucky

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=Sh&page_id=40...
nomad drive same like comunist heroin junkie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPJmWTSJ2qk

BajaGringo - 1-18-2015 at 08:35 PM

blah blah blah...

If your goal in this thread was to create more bad juju about bicycle riders in Baja and reenforce your image as a troll, then you hit a home run.

If you really wanted to enlighten folks about road safety with bicycles on Hwy 1 and create the environment for an intelligent discussion on the subject, you have managed to do just the opposite.

Go ahead, flame on...

chippy - 1-18-2015 at 09:49 PM

But suddenly, I felt weird thing.?I didn't know what is happening at first. The view was blinked like turning on and off light in the dark.. 'Why I cannot see clear?' And the next thought 'Am I sliding??' And then I saw the car on my head.. 'Am I hit by car??'

And I realized my head was moving under (with) his car. I think I shouted 'Hey I am under your car.. Stop'
I was lucky

I hope some day I am the lucky one. To run your dopey ass over and end your trolling.,

nomad drive same like comunist heroin junkie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPJmWTSJ2qk

mtgoat666 - 1-18-2015 at 10:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  

I hope some day I am the lucky one. To run your dopey ass over and end your trolling.,

So joe rover bicyclist posts some funny jabs at cagers, and a cager responds in anger wishing death on bicyclist. Stay classy, chuck.

willardguy - 1-18-2015 at 10:21 PM

you have a licence?

sober up you old fool

Chrisx,
Captkw has an excuse for his foul attacks, he is a mean drunk,... And a DWI menace to Cagers and bicyclists. His spelling and rambling posts with attacks and grandiose boasting should clue you in he does drunk posting too.

and this mtgoat spews chit about captkw he would never have the balz to say to his face....
stay classy azzhole

mtgoat666 - 1-18-2015 at 10:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
you have a licence?

sober up you old fool

Chrisx,

and this mtgoat spews chit about captkw he would never have the balz to say to his face....
stay classy azzhole

Captkw is a blowhard. Like all blowhards, I am sure he can take some chit and still smile.

holy moly

captkw - 1-19-2015 at 08:12 AM

This thread is not about Me or spelling folks...its a bout the foolish Idoits and bikes on the Baja #1..myself can laugh at any/all attacks towards myself as I Know no fool will/can say crap to my face and walk away without injury...yep,,thats right I'm a mountain man and still a fighter...I don't understand why someone would ever call me a "old man or drunk" as Im young (53) in shape,,Healthy,fit.....carry on !! "Good Day!!"...K&T

durrelllrobert - 1-19-2015 at 09:24 AM

Doug - Sorry that I offended you so much that you took down the photo I posted of the female bike rider I followed for 10 miles.

penny farthing

joerover - 1-19-2015 at 12:57 PM

guy on penny farthing knows how to tells a good story

if you hit the brakes when you see a penny farthing
you get a reward
which is a good story
note: he takes really good photos
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/categories/?o=Sh&cate...
i expect baja nomad drivers are the greatest challenge he has faced, after multiple round the world trips