BajaNomad

January travel report pt 3: Cuatro biciclistas

Whale-ista - 1-29-2015 at 09:16 PM

Meanwhile, this past weekend, in addition to seeing lots of baby whales in Ojo de Liebre, I find some interesting young men riding their bikes thru Baja. They plan to ferry across to Mexico mainland, then... quien sabes? Pyramids? Beaches? They are up for an adventure- assuming they survive Hwy. 1.

A link to a photo is below.

They are friends, from 4 different states (Nebraska, South Dakota, North Dakota and... I forget...) on their first ever tip to Mexico. I met them near Catavinya (no special characters!) in central Baja- just off the highway south of Rcho. Santa Ynes, doing an impromptu tire repair stop. I was ready for breakfast and thought they were at a new cafe, so I pulled over. Alas- no food. Just an abandoned Army stop.

They had flags attached to their gear bags, like many trucks use, to encourage drivers to give them a little more room. I reminded them about "open range" critters- they had seen a few already. In fact, at one point they got caught in a herd of horses being driven across the highway by their caballeros.

I gave them the last of my fresh produce (can't take it back to San Diego - customs regulations): organic baby carrots, an organic apple, and some locally crafted "queso de chivo" (goat cheese)I had purchased, then never got around to eating. Also some chocolate snack bars. It was a cool, damp morning so I didn't offer any water.

Memories... I rode my bike around the Big Island of Hawaii 30 years ago, and I remember how many calories you burn by cycling all day. I saw no other cyclists that trip- the locals thought I was crazy! I even scared a few cows climbing over the hills- kind of like Baja.

Cycling is the best way to see new scenery- and you can eat all you want when you stop!

Suerte, y disfrute el viaje muchachos!

Cuatro Cyclistas

AndyP - 1-29-2015 at 09:24 PM

Right on! It feels great to be able to help out folks on an adventure; I've both given and received similar assistance many times... always memorable and fun either way. Way to pay it forward.