BajaNomad

FYI: preparing for upcoming changes in Mexico's judicial system

Whale-ista - 1-30-2015 at 09:44 AM

Excerpts from notices posted by legal profession friends in San Diego: "Mexican Justice Cossio will be speaking at The University of San Diego Jan. 30 about "Judicial Reform and Human Rights in Mexico" - in part, Mexico's recent switch from a non-adversarial Napoleonic system of criminal justice to an adversarial one more like our own.

"It's a very exciting time for the justice system in Mexico, although there are tremendous challenges. My law school is putting on the first national moot court competition in Mexico in conjunction with the ABA. This is a huge challenge but a great opportunity to teach Mexican law students about the new system. Mexico has more than 1400 law schools compared to only 200 in the USA (where everyone complains there are too many lawyers).

"To help prepare for this change Over the past few weeks trainers have been traveling around Mexico training the coaches of the teams. They also created webinars for the students, and in order to reach everywhere in Mexico had students compete in the first round by video. The regionals start in February with 200 teams competing. The first one is in Tijuana. The finals will be in DC at Georgetown in July. It's a great challenge but very rewarding to be a part of.

"The law students are the future of the Mexican justice system. Here is a link to our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/concursoacceso"

weebray - 1-30-2015 at 10:54 AM

If the future of the Mexican justice system is going to look anything like the justice system the United States of America I fear for the future of Mexico's way of life.

monoloco - 1-30-2015 at 03:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by weebray  
If the future of the Mexican justice system is going to look anything like the justice system the United States of America I fear for the future of Mexico's way of life.
Just about anything would be an improvement over the current system.