BajaNomad

Tamales in Todos Santos

pauldavidmena - 1-30-2015 at 05:17 PM

Well, I don't have any photos to post from the Todos Santos Music Festival - we left that to people with tie-dye t-shirts and backstage credentials - but we did try to capture some of the local flavor. We had heard great things about Alma y Manny, but sadly they were closed when we visited. Apparently we weren't the only ones anxious to try their tamales.

An hour or so later, there was a funeral procession: local men and women in traditional garb, many of them on horseback. Many of them were "parked" around the corner from the tamale restaurant.

Lastly, a photo I took of an unfinished Baja paradise, 2 miles north of downtown Todos Santos in Las Tunas.

[Edited on 1-31-2015 by BajaNomad]

Maron - 1-30-2015 at 06:04 PM

Super photos, loved the dogs and horses. The Sunset was/is truly amazing. Thks

Katiejay99 - 1-30-2015 at 07:35 PM

The funeral was for the brother of our gardener at the place you stayed (CalyCanto). He was one of the "Cabalgata" and a very well known and well liked young man from a local ranch. He left behind a wife and 2 children. He was apparently thrown from his horse at the ranch while trying to climb a steep incline while looking for some wayward cows. The coroner said he died on impact.

It was doubly difficult for me personally because I have known the family for years and he was the baby of 10 children. His brother, Chavalo was with me in my truck in La Paz when the call came that his baby brother was dead. We raced back to Todos Santos where Chavalo went directly to the ranch and stayed with the body until the authorities arrived.

pauldavidmena - 1-30-2015 at 08:04 PM

Wow. You had mentioned to us that you were attending the funeral of your gardener's brother, but I had no idea that there was a deeper connection. Such a tragedy, and such an outpouring of respect from this proud and close-knit pueblo.