BajaNomad

Bahia de Los Angeles Moto Ride

motoged - 1-31-2015 at 03:49 AM

Here is a half-hour ride from the south flats up to Punta La Gringa...no editing....just the sights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2eais1zzdo

woody with a view - 1-31-2015 at 07:37 AM

i love that place! going back next weekend.

Timinator - 1-31-2015 at 08:00 AM

Where you stopped the bike up by the fish camp, is it OK to go further past that sign and camp still?

Thanks for the video. Great stuff.

ehall - 1-31-2015 at 08:02 AM

Nice ride. Typical ktm kickstand. I have to do the same thing. I think they make them an inch too short on purpose.

woody with a view - 1-31-2015 at 08:15 AM

Tim, where are you refering to?

just the sights?

durrelllrobert - 1-31-2015 at 09:58 AM

On a 30 minute ride in Canada the only sights would be the road in front of you because of all the trees on both sides

David K - 1-31-2015 at 10:17 AM

Look at the end of the video, the sign is near where the gravel beach inside the bay is. Not shown is what the sign says or the road past it to the beach outside the bay (across from Smith Island).

David K - 1-31-2015 at 10:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Here is a half-hour ride from the south flats up to Punta La Gringa...no editing....just the sights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2eais1zzdo

Thanks Ged... any of these that let us look at Baja are great!

JZ - 1-31-2015 at 10:31 AM

Did that ride with my 10 and 12 yo's last April. Rode up through the boulder field where the La Gringa sign is painted.

[Edited on 1-31-2015 by JZ]

motoged - 1-31-2015 at 12:06 PM

Tim,
I am not sure, but my guess is that camping around there is possible. Where I stopped at La Gringa seemed to be a camping spot....there was a kayaker and his black Lab parked there and set up.

Quote: Originally posted by Timinator  
Where you stopped the bike up by the fish camp, is it OK to go further past that sign and camp still?

Thanks for the video. Great stuff.

motoged - 1-31-2015 at 12:08 PM

Woody,
I will be there in spirit.....mixing a Marg or two for you and Bia :cool:

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
i love that place! going back next weekend.

motoged - 1-31-2015 at 12:10 PM

The kickstand is a good length....just looked for a flat stone to keep it from sinking in the coarse sand....I usually keep a flattened Tecate can for such times.

Now the stand on the 450....THAT'S a PIA :biggrin:

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  
Nice ride. Typical ktm kickstand. I have to do the same thing. I think they make them an inch too short on purpose.

motoged - 1-31-2015 at 12:16 PM

David,

I am cooking up some more vids from my rides there. I am not editing them but am learning that posting a long Youtube is harder then Chinese Trigonometry....and takes a long time to upload....have found a tool called Handbrake that is a free download and compresses the original file with very little loss of vid quality.

Ya know, once you get into that, you will have a whole new thread possible for "posting" advice ;D

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Thanks Ged... any of these that let us look at Baja are great!

TMW - 1-31-2015 at 12:24 PM

That was cool, thanks

Timinator - 1-31-2015 at 12:56 PM

Yep, that's what I was talking about. Just wondering if the sign was a keep out sign or something. Past the sign (where you stopped and got off the bike) is where everything good just starts to happen!

ehall - 1-31-2015 at 05:22 PM

The kickstand is a good length....just looked for a flat stone to keep it from sinking in the coarse sand....I usually keep a flattened Tecate can for such times.

Now the stand on the 450....THAT'S a PIA :biggrin:

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  

I will have to remember the beer can trick. Thanks( yes it is for my 450 exc)

woody with a view - 1-31-2015 at 07:38 PM

Ged, this is a bidness trip. stay tuned!

motoged - 2-1-2015 at 11:28 AM

Woody,
Fishin, plunkin, and surfin.....it's ALL serious bidness :biggrin:

Bob53 - 2-1-2015 at 01:34 PM

Nice video! You passed my driveway at around 4:28.

bajadogs - 2-1-2015 at 02:59 PM

I love that ride. When I'm staying at the south shores or at Gecko with friends I always volunteer to go into town for necessities on my KLR650 just because it's so fun. Great vid Ged. Gets me pumped to go back.

willyAirstream - 2-2-2015 at 07:43 AM

Martyman - 2-2-2015 at 10:17 AM

There's my place at 4:23

motoged - 2-2-2015 at 11:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Martyman  
There's my place at 4:23

And none of you guys were at the end of your driveway holding a beer for me??? Sheesh !!!! :biggrin:

Bob53 - 2-2-2015 at 12:33 PM

If I had only known. Next time pull down my driveway.

StuckSucks - 2-3-2015 at 11:48 AM

A fun watch on the HD big screen last night. It felt very, uh, Baja.

motoged - 2-3-2015 at 04:01 PM

Nomads,
I am working on sending some of my helmet-cam videos to YouTube and sharing them here. I am not editing them with cool tunes, clever captions, and without the shots of me peering into the camera when I turn it on and off.....right now, just because of the time required for a more "polished" video "experience".

As Stuck said....so "Baja"....just the facts (images and sounds)....your perceptions may vary (YPMV :biggrin:).

I have an Agua Verde ride in the uploading stage and have more to come.....

These vids are intended to "just show kinda what it looks like" for those who haven't seen some of these locales, or as a reminiscence for those that have.

No pretense....just raw video footage. :saint: :cool:

mtgoat666 - 2-3-2015 at 11:46 PM

Here is a half-hour ride from the south flats up to Punta La Gringa...no editing....

You know, gopros come with free editing software. You should use it!

motoged - 2-4-2015 at 12:03 AM

Goat,
I will when I take some more time....good tip....thanks.

JohnK - 2-4-2015 at 08:53 AM

Boy, the road to La Gringa has sure improved since we were there in October. We parked our Tacoma/camper about 200 ft further out from your end point. Were there for two days, but there was a bug problem so we ended up heading over to the Pacific side and stayed a few days with Shari and Juan.

woody with a view - 2-5-2015 at 10:06 AM

The gringa road sucks! Old school washboard from hell...

[Edited on 2-5-2015 by woody with a view]

Marc - 2-6-2015 at 06:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
The gringa road sucks! Old school washboard from hell...

[Edited on 2-5-2015 by woody with a view]

I goose the Tundra up to about 55/60 mph. Smooths out that road just fine.:cool::cool: