BajaNomad

Hotel Maru visit in Sta.Rosalillita

shari - 1-31-2015 at 08:43 AM

Juan & I made a quick trip to the Nuevo Rosarito area for the funeral of my favorite tia who is soaring with the angels now.

It was a formidable gathering of the Arce/Gaxiola clan from all over central baja complete with huge pots of menudo & pozole, music and catching up on family news. Dear Suzana was widely known as the most beautiful woman in the entire area and we heard wonderful stories of from her admirers. She looked stunning even in her coffin. The rain held off but for some teardrips from the heavens as she was lowered into her grave.

It was a 2 day affair and there were no hotel rooms left in Nuevo Rosarito so we caught some sleep at Hotel Maru in Sta.Rosalillita. Maru was gracious as always and rested well in the quiet little hotel by the sea.

It was freshly painted with nice clean rooms and the store has more to offer now...and nice cold beer!

I especially like the neighbours! you can tell he is a fishing village horse by the panga paint on his nose!

this is the beach in front of the hotel looking both ways

[URL=http://s1327.photobucket.com/user/labufadorainn/media/BEACHES%202015/IMG_1508-001_zpsda5a4d78.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1327.photobucket.com/albums/u 673/labufadorainn/BEACHES%202015/IMG_1508-001_zpsda5a4d78.jpg[/IMG
[/URL]

such a shame to see all the building going to waste from the flopped project.

I love all the trees and cactus in that area.

Ms. Maru is distraught over the drop in tourism in the area and hoping the word gets out that they are open for business and have 4 rooms...simple yes, but like good old baja style...but with better beds. I always sleep great there and only 10 minutes off the highway! I told her I would try to spread the word so if you go please mention you saw Shari's post on Baja Nomad...thanks.

[Edited on 1-31-2015 by shari]

Ateo - 1-31-2015 at 09:10 AM

I'll stay there soon. Thanks.

woody with a view - 1-31-2015 at 09:14 AM

she says the Japanese bought into the failed marina to use it as a processor for the local sardines. they will haul the fish in trucks to Ensenada. they are expecting hundreds of workers to descend into the town when it gets up and running. she said the papers have been signed already!

David K - 1-31-2015 at 09:17 AM

Thanks Shari...

Who's Jessy, a store next door?

rts551 - 1-31-2015 at 09:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
she says the Japanese bought into the failed marina to use it as a processor for the local sardines. they will haul the fish in trucks to Ensenada. they are expecting hundreds of workers to descend into the town when it gets up and running. she said the papers have been signed already!

Oh that will be nice. where will they all come from and where will they all live? There is very little infrastructure there.

What is the price for a night in the hotel?

woody with a view - 1-31-2015 at 09:28 AM

good question. she says the govt will pay 80% of the cost to build a business for an individual and the person pays the other 20% so someone will build a big hotel or something. the bluff behind the town will be where they house everyone.

BajaRat - 1-31-2015 at 09:29 AM

Sorry bout the loss to the family Shari.
Great people and hotel, off the beaten path, clean.
David, the little store is right next to the hotel, nice little inventory and cool people. Also nice place to stretch the hounds and kids legs on the beach out front without the worries of hwy traffic.
Lionel

[Edited on 1-31-2015 by BajaRat]

woody with a view - 1-31-2015 at 09:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Thanks Shari...

Who's Jessy, a store next door?

her daughter.

shari - 1-31-2015 at 09:35 AM

wow, that will be something...maybe they will have a restaurant then. It is a shame that the sardine fishery is so huge as it will affect the rest of the fishing industry and certainly the sport fishery...tons and tons are being hauled out of this area every day.

woody with a view - 1-31-2015 at 09:37 AM

yep! Peru did the same thing in the 50's with their sardine fishery and wiped out the entire industry.

David K - 1-31-2015 at 09:41 AM

So, is the harbor used by local fishermen or the future sardine plant or is it full of sand and if so, will they dredge it again? It was half full of sand in 2007.

Will the sardine factory bring in more people than the Escalera Nautica would have (if it could ever succeed)?

rts551 - 1-31-2015 at 10:11 AM

good question. she says the govt will pay 80% of the cost to build a business for an individual and the person pays the other 20% so someone will build a big hotel or something. the bluff behind the town will be where they house everyone.

I would bet the people working in the processing plant will not be using any hotel or restaurant....a cantina maybe. Of course, El Jefe will need a house.

Minimum wage labor... I guess they could teach the farm workers a new trade.

And Shari, you are right. it will gut the food chain.

shari - 1-31-2015 at 10:24 AM

there is a new sardine unloading industry in GN at the old lighthouse too..sucks.

Howard - 1-31-2015 at 10:34 AM

Anyone know if the hotel is dog friendly and the cost?

[Edited on 1-31-2015 by Howard]

woody with a view - 1-31-2015 at 10:37 AM

2 of their dogs got some amoeba as they called it and were put down. the mom dog had pups and one was foaming at the mouth and was put down.

i wouldn't expose my dog..... and i don't have one! just sayin....

Howard - 1-31-2015 at 10:38 AM

Thanks for the heads up Woody.

shari - 1-31-2015 at 10:39 AM

so that's why it was sooooo quiet with no dogs barking

woody with a view - 1-31-2015 at 10:44 AM

were there still 4-5 pups from the white mama?

willardguy - 1-31-2015 at 10:57 AM

our trip last year the hotel was booked (it sure looked to us that all but the one room had permanent residents?) anyway we had two flats repaired by the kind folks across from the hotel. they both failed! :lol:

woody with a view - 1-31-2015 at 10:59 AM

get some plugs. they last longer than the tire.

Barry A. - 1-31-2015 at 07:20 PM

get some plugs. they last longer than the tire.

'I will second that---------years of experience with "plugs", all good, despite what the big-box tire folks say.

Barry

LancairDriver - 1-31-2015 at 09:31 PM

2 of their dogs got some amoeba as they called it and were put down. the mom dog had pups and one was foaming at the mouth and was put down.

i wouldn't expose my dog..... and i don't have one! just sayin....

If they were drinking the same water as the horse in the picture amoeba related illness wouldn't be to surprising. It looks polluted.

monoloco - 2-1-2015 at 07:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
there is a new sardine unloading industry in GN at the old lighthouse too..sucks.
So short sighted.

JohnK - 2-1-2015 at 10:25 PM

We stayed there in October at Shari's recommendation and thought it was basic and wonderful. Sorry to hear about the dogs.