BajaNomad

Fishfinder or fishfinder/GPS in BCS?

chavycha - 2-2-2015 at 03:25 PM

Edit:

And now the whole unit has gone belly up. The amount of chit on this trip that has broken or malfunctioned is simply inconceivable.

Anyhow.

Any ideas where one could find a simple fishfinder or fishfinder/GPS combo in La Paz, San Jose, or CSL

[Edited on 2-14-2015 by chavycha]

bajabuddha - 2-2-2015 at 04:04 PM

Might check at the fishing supply store in downtown Loreto. Can't remember the name of the road, but it's one block north of the main east-west drive into downtown, and about 6 blocks (maybe a few more) west of the Malecon. The road is Lopez-something I think; Any Loretanos help out here?

Mula - 2-2-2015 at 04:33 PM

Ferremar in Loreto or Constitucion should have one.

Lowrance is actually made in Mexico, I think. . . . at least the one we bought 6 years ago was made here.

The street name is Benito Juarez.

[Edited on 2-2-2015 by Mula]

chavycha - 2-2-2015 at 04:53 PM

Awesome. We'll try the ones in Constitucion and/or Loreto. We're headed all the way down to San Jose area so other suggestions are welcome down that-a-way too.

I'm rigging up a temporary fix... no tools or materials to speak of at the place we're staying... but I think I've got a solution out of a 2x2, fiberglass drywall tape, some epoxy, and a screw. :coolup:

woody with a view - 2-2-2015 at 05:22 PM

what, no duct tape or bailing wire?

Mula - 2-2-2015 at 05:43 PM

There's a Ferremar in La Paz, too.
And of course Agencia Arjona in Constitucion and La Paz. Expensive.

La Paz has lots of boat gear stores.

cessna821 - 2-2-2015 at 05:54 PM

I have a Garmin 140, new and unused still in original box if you are interested.

chavycha - 2-2-2015 at 10:40 PM

Woody, I ended up using a couple of zip ties too. :D

C821, thanks for the offer, but will pass - I really like the unit we've got (Eagle FishMark 500C). The transducers are not too expensive to replace. Also, I have sworn off Garmin products after a Garmin 430W went kaput on me in the middle of the night in an unfamiliar area. Thank goodness for paper charts...

chavycha - 2-7-2015 at 09:16 AM

We did not stop in Loreto or CC on the way down as we were in a hurry. Any suggestions on where to look in San Jose, Cabo, or La Paz?

chavycha - 2-14-2015 at 03:51 PM

And now the whole unit has gone belly up. The amount of chit on this trip that has broken or malfunctioned is simply inconceivable. Should've picked up that Garmin unit on the way south.

Anyhow.

Any ideas where one could find a simple fishfinder or fishfinder/GPS combo in La Paz, San Jose, or CSL?

[Edited on 2-14-2015 by chavycha]

Alan - 2-14-2015 at 04:57 PM

There are numerous stores that may be able to help you in La Paz.

A couple of Ferre-Mars - on Revolucion just east of 5th of Febrero, another on 16th of Septembre

Baja Mark on Allende, next to the old location of The Shack

Lopez Marine on 5th of Febrero

The Chandlery on Topete across the Marina de La Paz.

Hopefully someone at one of these places has what you need or con direct you somewhere that does.

Your very best chance may be to contact Will Imanse at Techs Mex Services. 612 102 2259 I used him to install my new FF/Plotter but he offers a full range of Marine Service including repair. If he can't fix your problem he could certainly direct you to get what you need

monoloco - 2-14-2015 at 05:45 PM

Why don't you just order one online and have it sent to ACV Logistics to bring down?

Hook - 2-14-2015 at 06:11 PM

And stick to a decent FF like a Furuno. They NEVER SEEM TO BREAK.

The high end Lowrances are decent. I'm not sure about that model you had.

I know many, many people that have had Raymarine units and almost all of the transducers have failed within a year. The are buggy units and not at all intuitive to learn, IMO.

willardguy - 2-14-2015 at 06:19 PM

any chance of retrieving your waypoints from the old unit?

vgabndo - 2-14-2015 at 07:16 PM

As a less expensive and virtually unbreakable option, Scott, you could just go out as usual, whistling frequently and shouting "Here fishy fishy!" Good luck!

toronja - 2-15-2015 at 04:02 PM

We gave that a try today, Perry, and lo and behold, Scott caught us a mackerel using nothing but his bare hands in 160 ft of water! I was impressed. The mackerel yielded the biggest bonito I've ever seen, before we could even get the line out.

Still, the FF has been really useful. We'll let folks know what we find after a fossick in San Jose.

chavycha - 2-15-2015 at 04:32 PM

True story. 12" mackerel in 160' of water. Bare hands. Somehow it had been disabled and was spinning in circles on the surface. Motored right over to it and scooped it up! What toronja doesn't tell you is that the fish that ate it was a black skippy. By my math we netted about 5 pounds of blood, 5 pounds of dog food, and 5 pounds of chum. Yuck!

Big storm this afternoon has all three roads into/out of town flooded. Crazy tropical weather. Good time to relax. We caught fish this AM, saw a huge pod of dolphins, some humpback moms with babies, and got back before it got wet!

vgabndo - 2-15-2015 at 05:05 PM

You'll recognize this view...we had weather too!

1424035169965.jpg - 22kB

BajaRat - 2-16-2015 at 07:53 PM

Crazy ! Thanks for the photos , info and updates :cool:

chavycha - 2-17-2015 at 10:02 PM

We found a few at the San Jose Ferre Mar today. There were some dated Lowrance units and a very basic Humminbird. The prices on all were astronomical - we're talking 4x or 5x US retail prices, for models from 2009. Oh well. I was pretty impressed with their stock of other fishing stuff and gear. The markup on other things seemed more reasonable.

Not all was lost - we got some shopping done at the super-ultra-mega-giant Chedraui and then hit up (the highly recommended) Taqueria Mary for tacos on the way north out of town. Nom nom nom!