BajaNomad

Small Boat Fishing Spots - La Paz

MitchMan - 2-3-2015 at 10:09 AM

Does anybody know where there are good fishing spots west and then north of La Paz?

I have a 13 ft Gregor that I would like to safely and easily launch and retrieve on my own in very, very calm waters where I can fish for pan sized (or larger) good eating fish.

Someone told me about San Jose. They said it was about 25 KM away from the La Paz airport.

Any info would be greatly appreciated about locations with as little off road travel as possible.

Martyman - 2-3-2015 at 03:48 PM

Punta El Mechudo-North of LaPaz is nice.

Fernweh - 2-3-2015 at 04:48 PM

Mitch,

we took the road to San Jose de la Costa, just past 17km, follow the side road to the beach. Launch the boat there.....

caught a bunch of Conchita, and made approx. 5 Kilo ceviche

Are you now in Chemetla?

Karl

Alan - 2-3-2015 at 04:53 PM

Punta Mechudo and points north should be good but that's a loooong day run. You'd probably want to take a tent with you. Wife and I just drove up in my Jeep one day. True I left a bit late but still didn't get home til after 9:00 I have always wanted to just explore the mangroves on a high tide. They have to be holding Pargo and I have even heard rumors of snook.

Alan - 2-3-2015 at 04:55 PM

Are you in town? I'm leaving tomorrow but should be back in two weeks

chavycha - 2-4-2015 at 12:04 AM

The road deteriorates rapidly north of San Juan. I don't think I'd want to do that for an 'easy' trip.

monoloco - 2-4-2015 at 07:31 AM

"caught a bunch of Conchita, and made approx. 5 Kilo ceviche" That would be cochito "little pig", otherwise known as triggerfish. The best for ceviche!

durrelllrobert - 2-4-2015 at 09:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by monoloco  
"caught a bunch of Conchita, and made approx. 5 Kilo ceviche" That would be cochito "little pig", otherwise known as triggerfish. The best for ceviche!

2X agreed.

Fernweh - 2-4-2015 at 10:50 AM

me too:)

and the ceviche was great, but lots of work.....

MitchMan - 2-5-2015 at 10:12 AM

Hey, thanks for the great info. Going to check it out. I am trying to simplify fishing so that I can go on a whim. Also, it would be great to learn of places that I can solo launch/retrieve, catch fish, even if I have to go to places within a 100 mile radius from La Paz where I can stay in a motel and fish for a few consecutive days.

fernweh, Yes, my place is in Chametla.

Alan, I was in La Paz but left on January 24th. Will be back in the middle of March and again in late May/early June. Maybe we can share a boat if our itineraries coincide???

MitchMan - 2-5-2015 at 11:09 AM

Speaking of ceviche, recipes matter.

Haven't perfected a recipe yet, but getting close. Trigger fish makes really good ceviche in particular.

So far, to make ceviche, I have been making the cubed fish pieces smaller at about 1/3 inch cubed, marinating the pieces in pure fresh squeezed lime juice (enough juice to cover the fish by 1/4 inch) for no more than 12 hours. Decant off the liquid. Don't rinse the fish, and set aside.
Separately make a tomato based salsa as follows:
diced onion (small diced size)
finely minced garlic
finely minced jalapeno or serrano chile
some fresh squeezed lime juice
salt
mix well
Let this set together for 10 minutes, next add
some sugar (just enough to cut the edge of the sourness, to
accomplish a pleasing sweet sour taste), mix it.
add chopped roma tomato
add some salad oil, mix it
Then
add the lime marinated fish
add chopped cilantro
Mix it all up.

The volume of salsa that you make should be no more than half to 2/3 the volume of the fish.

Taste it. Add salt, sugar, lime juice, oil to adjust taste to perfection. Done

Put a refrigerated bottle of Pacifico in the freezer for exactly 12 minutes.

Enjoy both.

PS, if you want to get a little jiggy with it, add some cubed avocado to the ceviche.

[Edited on 2-5-2015 by MitchMan]

Alan - 2-5-2015 at 05:49 PM

Call me when you get back in town. My boat will be in the water by then

Ceviche

captkw - 2-6-2015 at 08:38 AM

I learned a trick from the local panga guys (la playita) use a heaping teaspoon of ketchup when you think the fish has "cooked" enough and it helps remove the lime acid taste....

norte - 2-6-2015 at 08:43 AM

There are no fish limits for these type of fish?

This looks like the most popular spot for small boats

durrelllrobert - 2-6-2015 at 09:03 AM

http://tnn-hobby.ru/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/tub_boat_fishing-4.jpg