BajaNomad

Battery backup for the Boondocks

LancairDriver - 2-6-2015 at 10:47 AM

Some of you may already be using these anti gravity miniature backup battery chargers. Great for jumping every thing for trucks to cellphones and small enough to carry in your pocket. Great insurance for backup power while off the grid. One of these recently saved a commercial fisherman who was 50 miles off the Oregon coast with a dead battery on his diesel powered boat. One of these started him right up.

https://www.google.com/search?q=micro+start+antigravity&...

Russ - 2-6-2015 at 11:05 AM

Just bought the
Antigravity Batteries Battery Peak Amp Pocket 600 Pack XP-10
From Amazon

[Edited on 2-6-2015 by Russ]

Marc - 2-6-2015 at 06:02 PM

I want one!

LancairDriver - 2-6-2015 at 06:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Russ  
Just bought the
Antigravity Batteries Battery Peak Amp Pocket 600 Pack XP-10
From Amazon

Russ- That's the same model that got the fishermans boat started and saved him an expensive tow.What a great little backup for charging cellphones, radios etc. as well as emergency jumps for cars, trucks, quad runners, boats or whatever in a compact little package. Handy to carry on your off road expeditions. I ordered the same one today also.

[Edited on 2-6-2015 by Russ]

Bob and Susan - 2-7-2015 at 07:14 AM

I don't see why you would need that...sorry

don't boat motors that use batteries start with a pull cord?
I would think it would be better just to carry am extra battery in the boat and make sure you have great equipment BEFORE you go to the boon docks...

I think its just another "gadget"

I used to have "vessel assist" when we lived in the usa
it was the AAA service (towing) for boaters...a VHF or cell phone call away

[Edited on 2-7-2015 by Bob and Susan]

LancairDriver - 2-7-2015 at 09:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
I don't see why you would need that...sorry

don't boat motors that use batteries start with a pull cord?
I would think it would be better just to carry am extra battery in the boat and make sure you have great equipment BEFORE you go to the boon docks...

I think its just another "gadget"

I used to have "vessel assist" when we lived in the usa
it was the AAA service (towing) for boaters...a VHF or cell phone call away

[Edited on 2-7-2015 by Bob and Susan]

I don't ever remember seeing a 400hp inboard diesel motor with a pull cord, or a higher horsepower outboard pull cord motor either. I would much rather carry around a pocket sized "gadget" that will do the job of a 75 pound battery you have to pack around as well as doing many other charging functions. Most boaters don't want to float around 50 miles out waiting for a tow service.

I didn't have one ...

durrelllrobert - 2-7-2015 at 10:45 AM

After sitting in the back of my Yukon with the radio going all afternoon during the Baja 1000 my battery was completely dead and I didn't have one of those or even regular jumper cables. A young Mexican parked nearby came to my aid by removing his battery and placing it upside down on top of mine such that both posts made contact and my truck started instantly. As long as there is an enterprising Mexican nearby I don't need a $160 Micro-Start Anti-gravity jumper.

They work

BeemerDan - 2-7-2015 at 11:25 AM

I have the Jump&Go similar to the antigravity and it works well, on sale at walmart for 60.00.
Used it twice now helping others jump thier vehicles, and I carry it on my bike for long trips. Just in case.

mtgoat666 - 2-7-2015 at 11:38 AM

When I was younger I always drove sticks. Easy to start a manual with dead battery. Don't you motorbike riders get by with a push start?

BeemerDan - 2-7-2015 at 11:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
When I was younger I always drove sticks. Easy to start a manual with dead battery. Don't you motorbike riders get by with a push start?

Try push starting a bike in the sand/dirt/mud/gravel and let us know the results.

mtgoat666 - 2-7-2015 at 12:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BeemerDan  
Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Try push starting a bike in the sand/dirt/mud/gravel and let us know the results.

Get rid of that spare tire, put on some muscle, and you'll be able to push that bike over to solid ground! :lol:

Anywho, the probability of a well-maintained bike experiencing a dead battery in "sand/dirt/mud/gravel" is pretty low. Take care of your bike, it will take care of you, eh?

ncampion - 2-7-2015 at 12:06 PM

Modern cars (after 1985 or so) won't push start with a dead battery, some power is needed for the FI pump and injectors/computers. My bike has a kickstarter, wouldn't have an off road bike without one.

BeemerDan - 2-7-2015 at 12:40 PM

I ride solo to some very remote places like the Canol rd in the Yukon. Failures do occur, for the $60.00 and 6 oz weight and size I'll take it along.
Plus its nice to be able to help others in need.:saint: