BajaNomad

Is this headstone translation possible?

John M - 2-8-2015 at 02:48 PM

I am attempting to make the translation of what is written on this headstone. I could email a photo perhaps more suitable for enlarging or zooming in.

Thanks for any attempt.

John M

Close Up, enhanced... and adjusted...

David K - 2-8-2015 at 03:24 PM

[Edited on 2-8-2015 by David K]

Thanks David K

John M - 2-8-2015 at 04:10 PM

I appreciate the clarity you've shown. John

David K - 2-8-2015 at 04:20 PM

I hope it helps John.
PS... I did it all on Photobucket with just a couple of mouse clicks. Let me know if you would like the how to.

Baja headstones

Whale-ista - 2-8-2015 at 04:44 PM

Lots of interesting headstones around Baja towns. Has anyone done a study? Collected images? Seems like an interesting topic of research.

I've considered it from time to time- some of them are in very lovely places with beautiful views.

BajaBlanca - 2-8-2015 at 05:44 PM

What I think I see is:

...born in March

...died at 8 days of age and we leave you this memento on this island...

name?

John M - 2-8-2015 at 07:58 PM

Blanca - would the name at the bottom be Mora?

the phrase nina Mora comes from another source. The name looks a bit like Estevan but would nina be baby masculine or feminine? Or maybe it's not Estevan?

John M

sargentodiaz - 2-9-2015 at 12:19 PM

It would be far easier to do a (lost the word) placing a thin paper over it and rubbing a large pencil or something similar. That way, you can get a clearer picture.

thenail - 2-9-2015 at 01:14 PM

BENITA NORA
NASIO EN MARZO DE
_____?
Y MURIO A LOS 8 DIAS
DE EDAD SUS PADRES LE
DEDICAN ESTE RECUERDO
ESTELA ISLAS
ESTEVAN NORA

thenail??or others?

John M - 2-9-2015 at 03:13 PM

Welcome to Nomad "thenail"!

Could you offer an English translation as well?

Does anyone see the name as Mora? family traditions suggest that was the family name - nothing available today to confirm that that was the spelling however.

Sargentodiaz - wish I were there to do the chalk impression.

John

SlyOnce - 2-9-2015 at 04:24 PM

where is it? What island?

where is it?

John M - 2-9-2015 at 04:40 PM

Not in Baja, guess I should have prefaced my post with that info. But the expertise here is so darned good that I couldn't resist seeking help.

It's at an old mine site in the East Mojave desert. Hardly an island but it was pretty remote at the time.

John M

vacaenbaja - 2-9-2015 at 06:23 PM

I do not see a picture of the headstone posted but my take is that the part that says "...sus padres le dedican este recuerdo" followed
by the names of the parents and here is where it would help if one could see if the Proper nouns were capitalized as in
Estela Islas= Stella Islas and Estevan Nora
The last name being Islas not a literal island.

carlosg - 2-9-2015 at 07:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by thenail  
BENITA NORA
NASIO EN MARZO DE
_____?
Y MURIO A LOS 8 DIAS
DE EDAD SUS PADRES LE
DEDICAN ESTE RECUERDO
ESTELA ISLAS
ESTEVAN NORA

Benita Nora was born on March ___?
And died 8 days old
Her parents dedicate this memento
Estela Islas (mom' name)
Estevan Nora (dad's name)

thenail - 2-9-2015 at 08:03 PM

thanks John

Benita is a girls name, not common anymore
She was born in March, couldn't figure the date.
She died 8 days later.
Her parents (Estela & Estevan) dedicated the stone.
I'm thinking they were not maried, that's the reason for a different last name

KaceyJ - 2-9-2015 at 08:29 PM

The Estela Islas are a place also, west coast of Spain

[Edited on 2-10-2015 by KaceyJ]

KaceyJ - 2-9-2015 at 08:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John M  
Not in Baja, guess I should have prefaced my post with that info. But the expertise here is so darned good that I couldn't resist seeking help.

It's at an old mine site in the East Mojave desert. Hardly an island but it was pretty remote at the time.

John M

So, do you not care to share the name of the mine or it's location?

There were a lot of Spanish miners , not Mexican, in early California. Much earlier than 1849

[Edited on 2-10-2015 by KaceyJ]

Mine info

John M - 2-10-2015 at 08:09 AM

It's not a secret KaceyJ

The mine had at least two names, an earlier possible name was the Domingo Mine and later, like 1910 (I think) referred to as the Mexican Mine.

This headstone was supposedly from the time period of the Mexican Mine.

It is within the Providence Mountains State Recreation Area, completely surrounded by the Mojave National Preserve.

GPS of the mine as far as I can tell is: 34 degrees 56.886N & 115 degrees 30.454W

The marker is not at the mine site but near the Visitor Center of the closed Providence Mountains State Recreation Area, home of Mitchell Caverns.

The State Park is closed until rehabilitation of the water system and buildings is completed, hopefully sometime this year.

John M

BajaBlanca - 2-10-2015 at 08:23 AM

very cool! BTW In Mexico, no woman changes her name - even after marriage, she will always retain her maiden name.