BajaNomad

Decisions, decisions

Kgryfon - 2-10-2015 at 10:07 PM

So...I'm hoping to retire in about 3 years and I want to buy a new (to me) set up so I can spend a bunch of time cruising the US and Mexico looking for my place to land. I want to pay it off before I retire so I have to buy it soon. Of course many places in Baja are high on my list, plus maybe Puerto Vallarta outlying areas. Or the Yucatan peninsula area. Or Belize. Concepcion bay? La Paz? Mulege? So damn many choices! Not having to consider anyone but myself for once has me in a quandary. So used to making choices based on the needs of my kids or a partner that I don't know what to do with myself! I'm a single woman of a certain age and don't see that changing. My question is this - In my situation, what you YOU recommend? A pickup with a cab-over camper? A SUV with a trailer? Of so, what kind of SUV? I am partial to Explorers and have owned several, but not for any kind of life style like this or long-distance hauls. And why would you pick what you would pick? I will need to sell my boat before I leave but want one wherever I land. So I'm kind of leaning towards the SUV/camper thing. Small camper. I know how to handle a camper/boat maneuvering so that's no problem. If the world was at your feet, what direction would you take? The goal is to check it all out for extended periods of time so I can make a decision that is not based on vacation trips, but actually living in places. Baja always calls...

willardguy - 2-10-2015 at 10:13 PM

how bout a sprinter motorhome? we met a couple in gonzaga that had a nice one, they had built a big wooden box mounted to the back that they carried an inflatable boat and motor in. easy to drive and park,great range,looked like a good way to go:yes:

[Edited on 2-11-2015 by willardguy]

Sweetwater - 2-10-2015 at 10:17 PM

I'm on a similar page....just sold my boat last week....I've got a 3/4 ton Duramax and I'm not a big fan of towing a big trailer behind me. I've been looking at campers but I've got the standard bed. Lots of complications with GVW and the weight of a good 8 foot camper with a slide. I've been in rigs that wallowed all over the road.

A full size RV then becomes the next option but it limits you in so many ways. I need to sleep in a real bed and have my 'stuff' within reach and not spread all over. I enjoy cooking but being stuffed into a camper in bad weather doesn't seem all that attractive either....

So many quandries, the bigger the rig, the more complex and the more limited your parking options. I miss the backpacking days when I left civilization for a couple weeks with my dog and all we could pack plus fishing to supplement. Those days are long gone....I'll be watching for solutions here.

motoged - 2-11-2015 at 12:08 AM

I have been pondering such questions for the past 10 years....and the past several more actively as I am quitting work in 16 months. Here is what I have come up with for a single person who really can do what I want....within the parameters of good judgement and limited economics:

I started with the standard fantasy of having an Airstream with a cool palapa set-up (kitchen, shower, sitting area) as a place to spend the winters....but wasn't sure where in Baja I wanted to be as several areas appealed to me (with Mulege being my first love).

Then I gave that up....and my thinking morphed into the idea of an inexpensive Mexican home....that might cost the same as some of the trailers I see folks pulling....and still wasn't sure of where in Baja.

So the past 5 years have traveled around Baja a month or so at a time exploring potential areas....ALL of which are from Bahia de los Angeles and south....

Then I thought, forget the Airstream or other such size trailer, and downsized to the idea of rigging up a 14' cargo trailer as a sleeping unit and having a simple camping kitchen set-up.

Then I thought......as my preferred location is in three different areas, and such a set-up has its up and downsides....I have started to hear myself say out loud...."$10,000 to $35,000 buys a lot of motel rooms and simple monthly/long term rentals..."

So, that is my current thinking: don't buy anything to make this tentative plan become real yet....and see how it unfolds.

In brief, I have watched my Baja fantasies change over time....and will continue pursuing them at a sensible pace and edit them as I proceed....paying attention to what I have learned, mistakes I have made, and some of the opinions of others.

Kgryfon....your series of questions suggest to me that you need to do more of your own editing of your dreams, ideas, and possibilities....no one else can really answer some of those questions for you as only you know your capabilities, skill-sets that are needed, and ways you live your life....and some suggestions offered by others may reflect their dreams more than yours.

Good luck with your journey....:saint:

4x4abc - 2-11-2015 at 01:03 AM

don't invest in any kind of "house on wheels"
too big
too expensive
too slow

stay flexible and nimble
save your bucks for real life
the good stuff hides in narrow streets and on rough trails down to paradise beaches

any transportation will do - SUV's have a definite advantage
but a plane ticket and a rental car will do as well
furnished houses/apartments are cheap south of the border
local rentals have the advantage over camp grounds, because you really get to know the locals (your possible future neighbors)
why would you want to listen to a Canadian (random pick) complaining about his border troubles.

If you insist on your own everything (micro wave to shower) while you travel, this a cool and spacious solution: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncXXLjf235g

But like all other motorhomes, campers etc - they are hard to sell once you find your new home

Good thing is, that you still have plenty of time to do the right thing.

Took me almost 20 years to decide on a spot in Mexico.

Traveling and Camping

J.P. - 2-11-2015 at 01:12 AM

Over the years I have owned all kinds of Camping Gear. from 16ft travel trailer's to 36ft diesel pusher motor home. Today we own a 36ft 5th. wheel travel trailer and a one ton dually. The trailer is currently set up in a place we really like and probably will never move all that much. That leaves me with the Truck which is not that economical to drive. lately I have ben thinking Big Slide in Camper. Has anyone priced one of those thing's lately,YIKESSSS I know for a fact most of those things wind up as Yard ornament's. So the search is on.
I bought my first Camper around 1976 and have hade several in my Possession ever since. I am here to Tell you there is no such thing as a one size fits all.:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Cisco - 2-11-2015 at 01:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Kgryfon  
So...I'm hoping to retire in about 3 years and I want to buy a new (to me) set up so I can spend a bunch of time cruising the US and Mexico looking for my place to land. I want to pay it off before I retire so I have to buy it soon. Of course many places in Baja are high on my list, plus maybe Puerto Vallarta outlying areas. Or the Yucatan peninsula area. Or Belize. Concepcion bay? La Paz? Mulege? So damn many choices! Not having to consider anyone but myself for once has me in a quandary. So used to making choices based on the needs of my kids or a partner that I don't know what to do with myself! I'm a single woman of a certain age and don't see that changing. My question is this - In my situation, what you YOU recommend? A pickup with a cab-over camper? A SUV with a trailer? Of so, what kind of SUV? I am partial to Explorers and have owned several, but not for any kind of life style like this or long-distance hauls. And why would you pick what you would pick? I will need to sell my boat before I leave but want one wherever I land. So I'm kind of leaning towards the SUV/camper thing. Small camper. I know how to handle a camper/boat maneuvering so that's no problem. If the world was at your feet, what direction would you take? The goal is to check it all out for extended periods of time so I can make a decision that is not based on vacation trips, but actually living in places. Baja always calls...

After a ten year affair with a van I find it perfect.

Not too big, nor small. carry a boat on top if you want to, everything else inside. Easy to work on and keeps you from hoarding by all means.

Regular van, hi-top if you can get one but remember that you will pretty much be sitting or lying down when in the van so no biggie. Don't get an extended van, that extra 20" or 2' behind the rear wheels will hang-up in vados, make parking in a city much harder,...

There is a man who has done a lot of neat work regarding your dilemma and you can find him at: http://www.cheaprvliving.com/

We have run into each other half a dozen times and he is sort of "the guru" on car, van and RV living.

His site will get you headed in the right direction to begin asking more intensive questions.

Good Luck, VanDwelling is a great life without all the camper, RV...hassles.

Oh, One friend, a woman of probably 70 now, had hip or knee surgery six or seven years ago and thought she would end up in a wheelchair.

Got a van and a kayak and set out to kayak EVERY state. She has driven to them all but Hawaii now and kakaked every one.

She has lost weight, now can walk fine and is enjoying life immensely. Bob probably has some dope on her or a blog address.

Her name is Charleen Swankie and I think at one time she had a trailer for the van but gave it up, the van is all she needed.

Cisco - 2-11-2015 at 02:01 AM

Wow. Found her blog. I have not spoken with her in a few years but if you are in touch with her tell her Cisco sends his best please.

http://swankiewheels.blogspot.com/2013/02/commercial-drivers...

That is the page I noted in my blog folder, I don't know how to get to today but the header shows she is still posting.

This is a woman in your exact position. Didn't have a clue and now she is having the time of her life. Her posts are definitive also, she is a no BA person.

Suerte

Russ - 2-11-2015 at 06:03 AM

Save your money and decide when you retire where you want to live after you travel. Cash has a way of bringing in a good deal. Maintaining a place cost a lot of money and "the grass is greener on the other side" syndrome comes into effect after a bit of time. I agree with traveling light and renting in an area that interests you. Good Luck!

Pescador - 2-11-2015 at 07:11 AM

I lived in Colorado and travelled to Mexico every year as well as several trips to Alaska, and lots of time spent during the summer all over the West. We found a slide in camper to be the best of all possible worlds. With electric jacks, it does not take an exceptionally long time to take off but most of the time it lived right on the back of the truck. Slide outs were cool but added (in my opinion) too much weight. We preferred the king cab so that we had room to put things inside the truck. After many years, we found that it was the perfect RV for our needs. Small enough that you could spend nights at rest areas or Walmarts, easy to drive and park, and best of all we did not have to stay with family or friends and were kind of like turtles with their house on their back.

monoloco - 2-11-2015 at 07:15 AM

If you are on a budget, whatever you do, don't buy new. Vehicles and RV's depreciate rapidly, especially when used in Baja, so take advantage of that fact by acquiring a gently used older model.

wessongroup - 2-11-2015 at 10:02 AM

Good stuff .. It all helps :):)

[Edited on 2-11-2015 by wessongroup]

bledito - 2-11-2015 at 10:07 AM

back in the days. we used a station wagon, a air mattress and a coleman stove. boat on the top with small motor. i guess it depends on the amount of luxury you require.

Alan - 2-11-2015 at 11:20 AM

You say you are looking for a place to "land" so I suggest, as some others already have, that you set yourself up to really learn an area. A few nights in a camper can hardly do that. The cost of "any" RV can pay for a lot of lodging. You might consider checking out VRBO.com Vacation Rentals By Owner. Lodging is available anywhere in the world and monthly rentals are reasonable in many cases. I have had a 50 year love affair with Baja so a general area selection was fairly easy but it still had to boil down to which area. I love BoLA, Loreto, Mulege, East Cape but after spending considerable time in each I quickly realized I needed something to do once the sun went down and that I wasn't getting any younger so access to healthcare would have to enter the equation so I finally settled on La Paz as my personal choice. I wish you the best of luck in your search. It's an exciting time with so much to explore. Enjoy it to the fullest.

SlyOnce - 2-11-2015 at 12:39 PM

I'm very close to permanent retirement - only 2 more years! I live in Playas de TJ, I have my sailboat in San Diego Bay. I have a Ford Explorer. My novia and I are planning some extensive drives around Baja with limited camping and modest hotel stays. I want to see more of Baja but we are also considering retirement in Colombia, Panama, Ecuador, and I am very enamored of Chile right now. The point is we may not need to pick just one place. Already, I have discarded anything unnecessary in life and we can go to Chile travelling very light. Our apt in Playas is cheap, the US is about 15 minutes away, and we always have a base to return to.

Pompano - 2-11-2015 at 01:41 PM

My folks first camper...homemade. Things have come a long ways since those days.

RV travel and use is something I love to do. I've owned and used most every type of camper imaginable over the last 50-plus years. This collage shows a few that worked very well for me in travels all over North America, including Alaska, Canada, mainland Mexico, and Baja. A fun and great adventure would be to take the RV to Panama and then down the coast of South America by freighter, exploring from Santiago, Chile to wherever the trails take you.

My favorite choice so far is this one shown below. Tow vehicle, large fiver, and towable boat/trailer.

Why? Because of these reasons...
They are less expensive and hold value longer.
They have more living space.
Because they require a tow vehicle, you can leave the RV and take the tow vehicle on short runs. For myself, this means I can explore many fishing choices within a given area...or make taco runs to my favorite stand.
It is usually the motorized vehicle that needs repair, so if the tow vehicle is in the shop, you still can live in the RV.

Everyone is different, though. So how do YOU decide? Research, read, go to dealer lots, go to RV shows, and ask questions of full-timers that are on the road and on internet forums. You will develop preferences. And for internet research, the following site is the best I have found for RV information and tips on everything from A - Z...from experienced owners. Good luck with whatever you choose and Happy Trails!

http://www.rv.net/forum/

motoged - 2-11-2015 at 02:32 PM

Roger,
Is that three vehicle train legal?

Pompano - 2-11-2015 at 03:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Roger,
Is that three vehicle train legal?

Yes, Ged...in most of the states and provinces I RV travel. Like anything with rules attached though, it's always best to check before you do it. My total bumper to prop length is 1/4 inch short of 75 feet, plus I have a Class C drivers license, which does help on certain interstates...California, etc. The only time I was inconvenienced while double-towing was once in Oregon when I had to disconnect the boat and retrieve it later with the pickup. Simple matter of short-term storage and a short drive. No ticket, just some friendly advice.

Here a map of legal lengths in the USA. Like I said, check before you go. Most state and provincial towing laws are reasonable and logical. Chance favors you when prepared.

willardguy - 2-11-2015 at 03:29 PM

:o is it possible to back all that up?

Pompano - 2-11-2015 at 03:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
:o is it possible to back all that up?

willardguy, The answer is yes, but like porcupines making love...you do it very carefully. ;)

If you grew up on a ranch pulling and backing up haywagons, it's fairly easy. And anybody who has driven a semi-truck with a pup does it regularly.

p.s. Don't mean to sidetrack Kgryfon's question.

[Edited on 2-11-2015 by Pompano]

Tomas Tierra - 2-11-2015 at 03:43 PM

Certainly an envyable position to be in KGF! It would seem hard to go really wrong with some planning..staying capably mobile would be my choice..
All my friends ask me why I don't have a house in Baja I spend so much time there.. I Tell them I have a thousand houses in Baja!

I have a thousand places in Baja to go with my 4by Toyota and pop up camper... Once I get there I'm home.. One hour pack and load kayak.. On to the next home...

.. Certainly would be easy to park it and take a rental for weeks/months... Always having that Getaway vehicle for side trips

TT

wilderone - 2-11-2015 at 05:41 PM

Cab-over truck - big tires, some clearance. Fixed up inside to sleep, cook; water tank, shelving.
Then, as you travel and find a place you'd like to spend some time, rent for a few months. Yeah - it's all good. Yucatan peninsula, Mata Ortiz, Mulege. Once based in a region you like, you can spend months exploring, and then move on. If you have to come state-side, you're free to do so, camping at National Parks - get your Senior Pass. Lots of National Forest - camp for free. When I took some of the forest service roads to find free camping around Utah/New Mexico, I'd walk down a narrow path thinking it was a hiking trail, only to find that people are living there!!

Marc - 2-11-2015 at 06:14 PM

A bit pricy, but........

gnukid - 2-11-2015 at 07:40 PM

It's true that the latest high vans are awesome but they are cumbersome and expensive too. You can definitely enjoy baja with a small high mileage car with AC and stay in hotels or camp with a tent. Small cars are easy to park in cities and easy to maintain or store if you want to fly out to another country.After many years camping and traveling I see the most mobile are those who travel light and low cost. Lots of options except a new mercedes Sprinter does not seem to the be the most reliable or affordable check out the forums for sprinter, transit, pro-master and other options.

Nowadays it is possible to buy anything you want new in baja like tent, table and chairs, bbq etc, or find it used.

Keep it simple and travel until you want to settle for a while then setup camp and keep it simple. Choose sports and activities you enjoy and build am active social life of love, laughter and smiles.

Cisco - 2-11-2015 at 08:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  
It's true that the latest high vans are awesome but they are cumbersome and expensive too. You can definitely enjoy baja with a small high mileage car with AC and stay in hotels or camp with a tent. Small cars are easy to park in cities and easy to maintain or store if you want to fly out to another country.After many years camping and traveling I see the most mobile are those who travel light and low cost. Lots of options except a new mercedes Sprinter does not seem to the be the most reliable or affordable check out the forums for sprinter, transit, pro-master and other options.

Nowadays it is possible to buy anything you want new in baja like tent, table and chairs, bbq etc, or find it used.

Keep it simple and travel until you want to settle for a while then setup camp and keep it simple. Choose sports and activities you enjoy and build am active social life of love, laughter and smiles.

Buy older (I cant find the engine I want in anything after 1996) and make it look from the outside as much like a commercial van parked wherever.

That's stealth VanDwelling and I have had few problems, hassles or tickets since starting this lifestyle in 1983.

motoged - 2-11-2015 at 09:02 PM

Cisco,
Was that you parked down the street last week?

Cisco - 2-11-2015 at 09:20 PM

Cisco,
Was that you parked down the street last week?

I LOVE IT

I'LL TAKE IT.

Yeah, that's the deal but unfortunately stands out. I drive something that looks so ordinary in it's surroundings that the man, or anyone, does not question it's being there.

My pride and joy was a late 30's Chebby van/delivery truck with "San Diego Wine..." barely discernable on the side.

Bought it from another fisherman "Tony the W.." in what is now Little Italy.

My how things have changed.

Yeah, I would be all over that puppy. Right size, and think of the "class" issue when you pull into the group park under the bridge with a couple of bumpers of T-Bird and Steel Reserve.

Whoo-Hoo.

motoged - 2-11-2015 at 10:10 PM

Cisco,
It's a sweet toy....and I get what you are saying about inconspicuous....:cool:

bajabuddha - 2-11-2015 at 11:50 PM

K, my 2 pesos worth is start smaller than larger, but be comfortable. A slide-in camper is convenient, but work for a single woman. The on-off-again of dropping it just to go to town can be work... a smaller but comfortable tow-behind is a better bet for handling and maneuverability. Larger is more comfortable, but means more work and less accessibility to more 'remote' places.

Another thing to consider is 'how much time will I be here?'. The more time you plan on RV-ing, the smaller the space gets, and you'll find yourself with cabin fever....... however, I still recommend smaller to start with.

Resale is NO PROBLEM in a lot of places, especially if you buy used to begin with... take your time looking, find a good deal; with a trailer, your biggest issues are only tires and axles. C-class w/ small tow-vehicle, you're paying not only vehicle taxes on two motor vehicles, but maintenance on both.

Start small/medium, travel light, buy cheap, build-as-you-go. It can always get BETTER. You'll find your niche, I bid you well.

My first rig was an '84 Chebby Vandura camper van, then towed a 25' Jayco behind it for over 10 years, then a slide-in large camper (less than a year), now a 28' 5th wheel..... many adventures await you...

bajalearner - 2-12-2015 at 08:58 AM

Many, many good choices and the thread is well titled, "Decisions, Decisions". I too have used several ways to camp and currently I have a 16 ft. enclosed trailer that I have set up for camping. The biggest pro on that is the rear ramp so I can take any or all of my 3 motorcycles. I built many comforts into it including a rv heater and a Honda gen built into a cabinet and vented so I can power everything including watch a movie. It's vented and purrs like a kitten. It has a kitchenette.

Like everyone else said, it's all give and take on what works but since I already had a suitable SUV, the trailer was a small investment, ($2800 + $1300 for the gen) and I just park it in my patio and use it as a garage for storage when parked.

It's not too hard to drive or maneuver but is more than just a single vehicle of course. Overall, it's a good combo with my SUV. It drops my gas mileage from 15 to 10 but I don't pay for motels and I can stop whenever I have the desire and stay as long as I like. It's a heavy 2 axle trlr but it's nice having redundant tires when a blowout happens.

Maybe the biggest pro is that I can find a place to park and stay for free while being comfortable. For a retired guy with lots of time, it's a good option. My SUV is 4wd but the weight of the trailer definitely limits where I go but that hasn't been a problem for me. Toll roads are about double price with a trailer.

Everything option is give and take.

motoged - 2-12-2015 at 11:42 AM

BL,
The cargo trailer idea is what is resonating with me after years of "trailer thinking".

As a fellow moto guy, I spent some time trying to configure how to set up a folding bed so I can carry the bike in the trailer....but the problem of sleeping in the trailer with the bike inside (overnights on the road) confounded me a bit.

I had a flash of enlightenment a few months ago when I realized "PUT THE BIKE IN THE PICKUP BED !!!"....:lol: as I don't have a shell on the truck.... I am astounded how my "focussed thinking" on trailer layout was actually tunnel vision which excluded that option for a few years :rolleyes:

I thought a 14 ' V-nose would be more manageable than a 16' ....what are your thoughts on any difference?

And....leaf springs or torsion suspension....shocks on trailer or not?

[Edited on 2-12-2015 by motoged]

If you're going to modify a cargo van for camping...

durrelllrobert - 2-12-2015 at 12:53 PM

..don't forget the most important modification:

motoged - 2-12-2015 at 01:03 PM

Bob,
Hi-tech....I was just thinking a toilet seat on a 5 gallon bucket....something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_104F-kUCL0

My trailer kitchen would likely be an outside set-up w/ Coleman 2 burner propane stove/ sink would be small plastic tote box....and folding table....have an awning on passenger side of trailer....etc

Lots of online examples from basic to deluxe:

Deluxe:

Basic:

SpumoneHi - 2-12-2015 at 05:41 PM

Hi - I am in a similar situation, thinking a lot of retiring and how I am going to go about it. I did quite a bit of research around buying in a warmer climate (live in Canada) and decided that buying in another country would create a lot of headaches unless I was there all the time. I want to be able to retire and move around to different countries so buying doesn't make sense. I also want to keep my home in Canada because I know I won't want to travel 24/7/365 so the best solution for me was to purchase a camper conversion which I did. Easy to drive, not bad on gas, provides little luxuries when I want to plug in and with solar I can go off grid a little too. I travel with my dog so didn't want to be always looking for pet friendly hotels. I figure if I ever need more room or a break, I can always check into a hotel for a few days.

This will also allow me to rent an apartment in any country I want to spend more time in and can't drive to. It seemed to address all my requirements and made the most sense for me.

If you are thinking of buying there is an excellent website called Globel Properties which will provide you with comparison data for every country in the world. Worthwhile to look at. That made me decide to keep a place in Canada.

Happy hunting,,

Lynn

SpumoneHi - 2-12-2015 at 05:45 PM

Meant to add too that at some point I might get a smart car to tow along with me and I have an inflatable kayak so am keeping things light.

Lynn

Kgryfon - 2-13-2015 at 12:20 AM

Wow! Gone for a day and look at all the great ideas that grew during my absence! Especially that cone-head. Definitely need one of those ;) Anyone have any experience with a Casita camper? The renting idea has its merits, but can you find places to rent on the beach? Looked like most of those places were being used by the owners, or are for sale. So I thought I'd camp for a while. Probably end up combo camping and renting depending on the circumstances. Having a hard time finding a SUV with any kind of decent tow capacity, though, other than the Explorer. Van conversion would be a bit too cozy for me, I think. The youtube video of the school bus conversion is very cool but I'm not mechanically inclined enough to take on maintaining something like that. I ran across a website called Workamping - anyone have any experience with that? Folks travel around in their campers and spend a season or so working as a campground manager in exchange for free camping. Or they work at amusement parks, or volunteer at fed/state camp grounds. Stuff like that. Sounds kind of interesting!

Kgryfon - 2-13-2015 at 12:37 AM

Cisco - SwankieWheels blog is pretty great - thanks! Quite a lady!

Kgryfon - 2-13-2015 at 01:05 AM

CheapRVliving is a great blog, too! Thanks again!

Cisco - 2-13-2015 at 02:03 AM

K:

Lot of information there. Bob has pretty much made a science of it and really is expert. Very nice man also.

Swankie (that is her real last name, she married a man named Swankie in the hospital on his death bed when they decided together that after marriage and his demise, she would be eligible for some benefits of his. Together decision and very sweet.)

The web and forums like this will give you important information. Recognize though that it is all pretty specific. The Baja people have very different needs and equipment to satisfy those needs for their trips. Always have a permanent place to hang also.

The VanDwellers have no permanent place, travel independently and meet-up at different venues all over. Consequently (and depending on financial circumstances) there are all kinds of vehicles and "stuff" involved.

We had a "take with you " list here on BN that could have run to hundreds of pages if we had let it.

I have been out since November 1, 1983 in all kinds of conveyances and can only suggest that for now you go small, get rid of everything, take barely what you think you will need and you will throw a lot of that out (or sell it) and add what you REALLY need as you get experience on the road and get some idea of which direction you wish to go off in.

Don't head-trip it. You need very little. Just GO! It all will take care of itself, over-planning or trying to adhere to a schedule is completely abhorrent to me.

And, if I don't care for where I am I just turn the key and get a fresh perspective. Can't move a house away from crummy neighbors.

[Edited on 2-13-2015 by Cisco]

Timinator - 2-13-2015 at 06:00 AM

Lance camper, 4x Dodge with a rack on the back for my Honda Trail 110 motorcycle. Bathroom, kitchen, inside and outside showers, queen bed, AC, heat, microwave, etc. The Honda will go up almost any hill or trail and gets 150mpg? I can even tow a trailer too if I need to.

bajalearner - 2-13-2015 at 08:14 AM

BL,
The cargo trailer idea is what is resonating with me after years of "trailer thinking".

As a fellow moto guy, I spent some time trying to configure how to set up a folding bed so I can carry the bike in the trailer....but the problem of sleeping in the trailer with the bike inside (overnights on the road) confounded me a bit.

Confounded me too and after sitting in the trailer with a tape measure for weeks, I came up with this idea;

I found a full size bed frame with a Coleman foam mattress on Craig's out of a wrecked tent trailer and I rigged a mount on the port wall which supports one side of the bed. I rigged one corner leg and a corner chain I suspend from the roof to the bed frame. The bed is about chest height off the floor which allows me to have a bike and/or my small sofa (which I put casters on to roll easily). I muscle the bed to vertical and store it against the wall in the daytime. I attached a closet pole horizontally from the roof which is my hand hold assist to get on and off the bed. My sofa below the bunk makes for a good step up for the bed. I added a fantastic fan in the roof for air flow and I have 2 sliding windows on the walls with blinds.

When I bought the bed and foam, I also bought a king size foam (both with nylon covers) and had an upholstery shop in Tijuana cut the king in half vertically and sew the covers with zippers so now I have 2 twin mattress I can use on the floor if I need more beds. Usually the twin mattresses are at home.

This works for me and doesn't take any space during the day. The 3 inch foam is not like my thick down bed topper at home but it is better than the ground. :bounce:

From the guy with who stripped the tent trlr, I bought a forced air propane heater and mounted the thermostat by my bed so I can easily the adjust the temp at night. I mounted the propane tank on the tongue.

MMc - 2-13-2015 at 09:04 AM

Kgryfon,

"Looked like most of those places were being used by the owners, or are for sale."
Many of those places will rent when the owners are not there or would love to see a little cash flow while they are for sale. Just ask.

"I ran across a website called Workamping - anyone have any experience with that? Folks travel around in their campers and spend a season or so working as a campground manager in exchange for free camping. Or they work at amusement parks, or volunteer at fed/state camp grounds. Stuff like that. Sounds kind of interesting!"
There are a bunch of Workkamping sites, most are in the US. You live for free rent h2o, gas, electric, there is a expectation of you doing some form of work. I know 1 place that needs a person to stay the night so nobody comes on the property. (it's pretty remote).

proneman - 2-13-2015 at 09:54 AM

Los Mochis

Camping on the cheap

durrelllrobert - 2-13-2015 at 10:13 AM

motoged - 2-13-2015 at 11:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Cisco  
K:

....Swankie (that is her real last name, she married a man named Swankie in the hospital on his death bed when they decided together that after marriage and his demise, she would be eligible for some benefits of his. Together decision and very sweet.)...

[Edited on 2-13-2015 by Cisco]

That's what I need.....a nurse with a purse....:biggrin:

Cisco - 2-13-2015 at 03:11 PM

K:

What helps a lot of "newbies" to this lifestyle is to experiment if they have time, and it sounds like in three years you can sure do it.

You're in the Bay area?

In whatever you are currently driving, (car, M.C. bike) put in a sleeping bag, whatever you think you will need for a couple of days, (the cat. They freak at first but then begin to like it) and drive up 101 to maybe Willits, then cut for the coast and Ft. Bragg.

They are good with people sleeping in the NE corner of the Safeway lot and there is much to see with the river down below. Hiking trail and beautiful seascape.

Then drive north until you run out of Ocean and you will cut back through the big trees to 101 at Leggett (I think) and south to home.

Now what did you wish you had taken?

What are you sorry you brought as you didn't need it?

What kind of vehicle would have worked better? (next time rent one for a couple of days and try it out).

On the north bound hwy 1 before you cut inland there is a sharp right turn, a little bay and a commercial camping spot.

Next to the camping facility is a graveyard, you would have run into it if you had gone straight. It is on the point overlooking the Pacific, a beautiful place and the gravestones are marked early 1800's with so-and-so, Irishman or Englishman. These were folks that came over from the old country and settled here.

Try several short trips with different vehicles and in addition to seeing great beauty and interesting spots you will find many people doing just what you are and you can compare notes.

We can all give our opinions but they are all about us, not you. I have biked, RV'd, MC, boat, walked, car, mini-van and van. For myself and the fact that I require stealth parking in the U.S. towns. I prefer a full size van, not an extended. I disagree with those who say you will get cabin fever. My van is the universe, I can look out or get out and walk or hide in the back and read.

I never want to live in a house again, I would go nut's.

If you don't have time to travel then camp in your yard and live independently. When you need something go in the hose and get it, but nothing else. When you are ready to travel what you need (and no more) is in the vehicle that you decided was best for you, waiting for you and the cat in the yard.

If you get a chance, on Bob Well's site he will give the hook-up locations for the year. Could be Quartzsite, Asheville, that Island in texas I hate, some BLM, National or State forest land that is all mostly free camping for people like us.

There you will meet people who have been out as singles, couples, families,...and get all the good info you need. I no longer go as from 96 to 2007 I decided to tour the eastern seaboard as I had never been there and I decided that since there is no life east of Hwy 5 I'm back to being a Westcoaster.

I mentioned Ft. Bragg as it is a good half-way point between Pt. Reyes and Petrolia. The "Lost Coast" that I so enjoy for the summer. Never a problem hanging anywhere in that area and the people are mellow as long as you stay out of their "gardens". Particularly around Redway. Shelter Cove is pretty developed now but still O.K. and you have Ocean, big trees, no-sweat camping, all is good.

Enjoy.

Cisco - 2-13-2015 at 03:45 PM

Hey Ged, Old Pal, old Buddy, old friendo, friendo...

I know I can't have that bit'chin van you photoed for me but can you get the plate off it pretty please.

With that license plate I can be even more stealth, I'll paint "Ged's Bred" on my van and I'm good to go at any restaurant parking lot. :biggrin::biggrin:

motoged - 2-13-2015 at 04:09 PM

Cisco,
I'm workin' on it......:cool:

Kgryfon - 2-15-2015 at 08:12 PM

Bajalearner, What king of SUV and camper are you using, if you don't mind my asking? I've been digging through Edmunds and CarMax and having trouble finding an SUV that can reasonably tow anything. Pretty much Explorer, Pathfinder, and GMC Acadia. Everything else tops out at around 3500 or is more than I want to spend, or doesn't come with the rear-view camera, which I think would be highly helpful since I won't have partner to direct me left/right when hooking up. The Pathfinder has had major issues with trannie/radiator cross fluid contamination (2 - not one but 2 - different class action lawsuits). Pathfinder has the largest tow capacity of the three at 6000, then Explorer, then Acadia.

Great links, Cicso. Sounds like you are doing it right!

All great info! I've had pickup/cabovers before and think that would be a bit much for one person to get on/off the truck.

Hola "K"

captkw - 2-15-2015 at 08:21 PM

Cisco has some points there !! As a Vagabundo myself,,,would say that's some damn good advice...what are you thinking of towing ??? and weight,remote brakes and what area ?....IMO...its all a trade off in way or another !!!...Never did hear from Ya.......K&T

Hook - 2-16-2015 at 07:47 AM

Think long and hard about any trailer that is over, say, 16 feet, if traveling off-pavement on roads that are remote. And that's where the real fun is.

You can never be sure of there being a turnaround at the end of ANY road. And a trailer can be a real liability in soft earth, be it mud or sand. They can also be limiting on roads with steep dips or hills, i.e., prone to high-siding. Then, there's the PITA of finding parking at times.

I'm a truck camper owner on a 4x4 truck with a diesel engine. I live out of it for 2-3 continuous months each year, with a wife and a 45 lb. dog. These are summer/fall months, so no serious cold conditions. We spend 95% of our time in national forests and BLM land in the West. We disdain RV parks, but use them when it's time for laundry or we are visiting a big city.

I often think that a fairly loaded van conversion makes a lot of sense, IF you can find one with 4x4. Those tend to be REALLY pricey. 4x4 is a must for me, especially you have to deal with wet launch ramps. 4x4 also really extends where you can go. But the undercarriage clearance on some of these 4x4 vans is not great. They can also have overhang limitations behind the rear axle.

To me, what is key to enjoying this type of vehicle (van or camper), continuously, for long periods, is having a good outdoor setup. No one in their right mind wants to spend long periods in these rather small areas. So, we have a simple shade structure that attaches to the side of the camper, an outdoor kitchen (3x6 folding plastic table, Coleman stove, two plastic dish washing basins), two folding reclining chairs, two conventional lawn chairs and a LARGE (10x12) woven polypropylene mat to keep the dirt/sand down. We even carry a collapsible privacy structure for using the outside shower as much as possible. Most all campers and most van conversions have outdoor showers. They are much preferable to the cramped showers within these smaller vehicles.

Much of this outdoor setup is stored on a front hitch carrier (Hitchhaul) and inside the camper. I didnt like the idea of a storage unit on the top as I move through my 60s. I could, however, put another hitch carrier on the back IF I am not towing. Some trips, we tow our Jeep behind and that provide a LOT more storage.

I decided against a camper with a slide out for two primary reasons. One is weight. If you have a slideout, you really should have a dually. I dont want dealing with the extra width or extra tires.

And, two, with a slide, you give up the really great storage area over the dinette. Many camper mfgrs put a childs "bunk" bed up there. This is an excellent place to leave in "bunk bed configuration" and throw plastic organizing bins up there. We use a line of Sterilite bins that have the same footprint and the same lids that accommodate the footprint for stacking. They even have smaller bins that stack sideways into the lids. All of this is kept in place by a cargo netting that comes standard with these child bunks. If you're living in a rig for multiple months, you NEED ample, internal storage for your stuff, unless you embrace a real minimalist lifestyle.

Obviously, the ability to leave the camper behind can be a big plus. Suddenly, I can go anywhere at about 18 mpg. But you must have a flat, SOLID spot to put it on. And two people (one to guide the truck back into place) is a big plus.

The length of a camper is always a point of discussion among camper owners. Mine is a little longer than I would like at 10-11 (10 feet, 11 inches). Campers are generally measured by the length of the floor inside them. Anything over about 9-6 calls for a rather expensive tow hitch and extension unless you are towing something very light (probably < 1500 lbs.). With this beefy extension, you could probably tow up to 10k. Usually, it also requires a minimum of 9-6 to have an enclosed generator. I dont like carrying an external generator because it means storing it, getting it out and carrying a gas can. I like one-button to start a genny.

And anything over about 10-3 means you can have overhang clearance problems with dips and berms in the road.

Probably the biggest disadvantage we find with a camper is that there no REALLY comfortable seating, for long periods, in them. The dinette or the bed is it for reading. And we have augmented the cushions in the dinette with some insulite padding under them. But it is very upright seating. Of course, we read outside in the recliners, when weather permits. Weather permits a lot in the West; not so much east of the Rockies. We really dont go east anymore. So little public lands, so much humidity and heat, so little elevation gain (in terrain) to avoid the heat and humidity.

Maybe you are sensing that RVs, like boats, are a compromise.

Timinator - 2-16-2015 at 08:31 AM

Nice camper write-up Hook. That pretty much nails it. I too have installed a front hitch and have the Reese extension hitch on the rear. I do like having a portable inverter genny though. But, as you said, usually only the 10' and longer campers have enough room for a built in one. Mine is 9'6".

CortezBlue - 2-16-2015 at 08:47 AM

We did a similar thing. My wife never had an interest in trailer camping. So she suggested that we RENT a small trailer for a month to check it out.

Once we started pricing out a rental we decided to purchase a 2002 23 ft. Skyline Nomad.

We paid $5000 for the trailer with new batteries and new tires. It was very clean on the inside, but the outer skin had some hail damage.

I remodeled the inside with new vinyl plank floors, and new high boy toilet, and changed the wall paper to a vinyl grass cloth with palm tree border. I changed out all handles to a rosewood and black metal door handles.

I added a bar setup that is gimbaled and holds all well liquor and wine

I installed a new xantrex HF1800 Freedom inverter and wired in a gps aligning DirecTV dish.

We took it out last summer for about a month up through Idaho, Wyoming, Nevada, and Norther California.

I have to say, she had a great time and we are going out again this summer.

I tow it with my 2011 Ford F150 (Eco Boost) and it did just fine. I averaged about 8.5 to 10 mpg, but I liked being able to secure the trailer at the camping area and driving around. I met several folks who bought RV's that had problems and they were stuck. They had to leave the RV at the service center and stay at a hotel/motel.

Regardless of what you get, I think you will have fun.

With camp trailers it's construction, construction not location, location

durrelllrobert - 2-16-2015 at 09:35 AM

My fist camp trailer, purchased in the early '60s, was a ten year old tear drop with a full size mattress inside and a kitchen compartment opening to the outside in the rear. Fist trip out with wife and baby took us over a 9 mile long wash board road and when we reached the camp ground every nail and screw had worked it's way out and both side panels were seperated from the roof. Burned all the wood in the camp fire and towed the bare frame home. :o

bajalearner - 2-16-2015 at 09:48 AM

Bajalearner, What king of SUV and camper are you using, if you don't mind my asking? Pathfinder has the largest tow capacity of the three at 6000, then Explorer, then Acadia.

Kgryfon, you started the thread with the title of "decisions, decisions" and I fully agree that it's all a game of give and take. So to answer your question;

I have a 2005 Toy Sequoia 4wd which lists a 6500lb towing capacity. I make it work for me with my 16ft 2 axle trailer because I am willing to drive it within it's limits. It's a heavy SUV and trailer so I trade the large car and trailer for some reduced off road capability but I get to semi-remote places and bring my studio apartment too.

Bought the car in 05 with the intention of having a versatile 8 seat car with 4wd and towing package, I accept that it may not be the best off road option. I've put 115,000 miles on it and less than a quarter while towing and after 10 years, it feels, runs and sounds new.

So since I already have a paid off SUV that runs well, I make it work towing my trailer by understanding the limitations and maintaining it. Best of luck but I see you're thinking before just jumping in. :light:

motoged - 2-16-2015 at 12:42 PM

This is a great thread....thanks everyone for your comments :saint:

I am taking notes and have spent a few evenings Googling everything from pail-toilet seats to Featherlites and stealth urban dwelling....:cool:

I am still on the 14' V-nose cargo trailer fantasy as it could also accommodate 1 or 2 motorcycles for long trips away from home (over a month)....and every once in a while I am attracted to a used 18-24 foot tandem axle camper trailer....(as they would cost about the same as outfitting a cargo trailer the way I would want it (about $10,000 tops w/ awning, window, basic interior w/out bathroom/kitchen)...

I am several years away from needing anything as my "retirement" planning if focusing on editing 75% of my "stuff"....

Keep the experience and opinions coming folks ...:cool:

Hook - 2-16-2015 at 01:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Timinator  
Nice camper write-up Hook. That pretty much nails it. I too have installed a front hitch and have the Reese extension hitch on the rear. I do like having a portable inverter genny though. But, as you said, usually only the 10' and longer campers have enough room for a built in one. Mine is 9'6".

We really dont use our genny much. The occasional cool down of the camper just before bed on a hot, humid evening. That's rare, because we are usually at 4000 feet or higher. If a long period of blistering heat sets in, we don't hang around. We go higher. Easy to do in the West.

And, of course, the occasional microwave oven use requires a genny. We average about 10 hours/year. I really dont have the battery capacity to use an inverter for the micro, though I do have 140 watts of solar panel. It's an older rig and only room for one, group 31 battery.

In terms of off-grid, boonie camping for long periods, for most rigs the limiting factor is how much water you can carry. That is important if you're away from services for 7-10 days. We can "only" hold 45 gallons, internally, though I do carry a couple 6 gal containers. Those are usually empty unless we know we are going to be away from water for a while. We are frugal, but not miserly with water. We shower about every 3-4 days, depending on what our daytime activity is.

I hope some of this rambling is going to be helpful, krygfon.

Our truck now has 260k on it and the camper is 13 years old. Our plan with this is to finalize our search for remote areas that CAN be accessed by decent dirt roads with the idea of eventually going back to a smallish trailer. Probably a toy hauler. You get living space and you can carry 1-2 ATVs. I'll probably be looking at a newer F-150 or the other half ton p/u with four doors and the shorter bed.

I will NEVER like spending lots of time in RV parks. Any rig has to have better than average, offroad capability, to avoid that. And RV parks aren't cheap, anymore.

Cisco - 2-16-2015 at 03:14 PM

This is a great thread....thanks everyone for your comments :saint:

I am taking notes and have spent a few evenings Googling everything from pail-toilet seats to Featherlites and stealth urban dwelling....:cool:

I am still on the 14' V-nose cargo trailer fantasy as it could also accommodate 1 or 2 motorcycles for long trips away from home (over a month)....and every once in a while I am attracted to a used 18-24 foot tandem axle camper trailer....(as they would cost about the same as outfitting a cargo trailer the way I would want it (about $10,000 tops w/ awning, window, basic interior w/out bathroom/kitchen)...

I am several years away from needing anything as my "retirement" planning if focusing on editing 75% of my "stuff"....

Keep the experience and opinions coming folks ...:cool:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/forums/42-Expedition-T...

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/forums/71-Expedition-C...

motoged - 2-16-2015 at 03:21 PM

Cisco,
Met some folks in Mulege this January (3 rigs...) that seemed to be hooked up through that forum....
Thanks...

We all were staying at La Terraza motel (sp?)....too bad the power went out for the town's planned New Year's Eve fiesta ...

[Edited on 2-16-2015 by motoged]

Cisco - 2-16-2015 at 03:25 PM

Cisco,
Met some folks in Mulege this January (3 rigs...) that seemed to be hooked up through that forum....
Thanks...

We all were staying at La Terraza motel (sp?)....too bad the power went out for the town's planned New Year's Eve fiesta ...

[Edited on 2-16-2015 by motoged]

Click on the top link Ged.

Everything you ever need to know about trailers.

The bottom link is the entire forum index.

motoged - 2-16-2015 at 03:46 PM

Cisco,
When it comes to this kind of terrain, I am on a bike or walkin'.... :biggrin:

I haven't seen any good trailer pop-up camper reviews really....seems the standard ones (not like those adventure trailer types) are pretty much built all the same and have their issues....canvas isn't too good in terms of security while away from the trailer.

Sticking w/ the cargo trailer fantasies so far....

Google and Youtube have a ton of info re: ideas and options....no limit to one's imagination....each to our own.

Another link:

http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=226343

Cisco - 2-16-2015 at 03:53 PM

Cisco,

I haven't seen any good trailer pop-up camper reviews really....seems the standard ones (not like those adventure trailer types) are pretty much built all the same and have their issues....canvas isn't too good in terms of security while away from the trailer.

Google and Youtube have a ton of info re: ideas and options....no limit to one's imagination....each to our own.

Another link:

I had a 500 cc Matchless single that I used just for that Ged. Terrible street bike.

Torqueyest (is that a word?) bike I ever owned. Used just for hill climbing.

willardguy - 2-16-2015 at 04:18 PM

different strokes! throughout the eighties I traveled in a semi converted LOP box van I bought from Laurens after Marty had won the 1980 USGP in carlbad. (we thought we were hotchit driving this thing to desert races) anyway my dream was to build a smaller badazz version, somehow I got old and never saw my dream. start now and build this thing!;)

[Edited on 2-16-2015 by willardguy]

Cisco - 2-16-2015 at 05:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
Quote: Originally posted by Cisco  
Cisco,

Another link:

I had a 500 cc Matchless single that I used just for that Ged. Terrible street bike.

Torqueyest (is that a word?) bike I ever owned. Used just for hill climbing.

darn you! now im gonna be thinking about the beach boy's "little honda" all day!

"It climbs the hills like a matchless
Cause my Honda's built really light"

I'm sorry Guy.

Didn't even know there was such a tune.

I don't think anyone had ever heard of a Honda when we were doing the bikes. The Japanese invasion had not begun and it was English, German and Italian bikes that we were hooked-up on.

The big American bikes were useless for our purposes.

My very favorite street bike was a punched-out little Ducati Diana, a five-speed (first I had ever seen) 250 cc cafe racer. Perfect for me.

It would be nice with all the dependable motorcycles available to be able to carry one with me but with my rig, no go.

I will make up a post on folder bicycles when I get a chance. I do carry a Katakura Porta-Silk (Praying Mantis) with me. But you have to be extremely careful what you get or you can do some real damage to yourself with a substandard product that folds up on you coming down a hill at 30 mph as happened to a friend.

Aussie Solutions

motoged - 2-18-2015 at 09:07 PM

Here ya go, mate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk6KJXeOM0k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pXTEqVZA2I

Hook - 2-18-2015 at 09:35 PM

Was it REALLY necessary to set up camp, wherever the vehicles in the photos above were going?

One has to look at the best base camps near these challenging ascents, where you can leave your base and do these areas as a day-use run in an unincumbered vehicle.

It's a rare base camp in Baja that isnt next to the ocean, for me.

motoged - 2-19-2015 at 10:59 AM

Hook,
Boys and their toys.... :biggrin:

Perhaps they were on a route and not ready to camp....not everyone parks and plays "hill climb".

The big American bikes were useless for Baja hills?

durrelllrobert - 2-20-2015 at 12:02 PM

Hey Cisco, when I lived in Butte, MT before my folks had the good sense to move to San Diego in 1952, I went through 7th grade with Bobby (Evil) Knivel and we both had '40s vintage Indian Scouts. We used to ride them up and down the steep, loose rock copper mine tailings with never a problem. When i got caught riding mine without a license in San Dieg my old man took a sledge hammer to the engine and cut up the frame with a hack saw. Don't know what happened to Evil's but I know when he broke most of his bones jumping the fountain at Cesar's Place in LV he was still ridian an Indian.

dtbushpilot - 2-20-2015 at 12:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by durrelllrobert  
Hey Cisco, when I lived in Butte, MT before my folks had the good sense to move to San Diego in 1952, I went through 7th grade with Bobby (Evil) Knivel and we both had '40s vintage Indian Scouts. We used to ride them up and down the steep, loose rock copper mine tailings with never a problem. When i got caught riding mine without a license in San Dieg my old man took a sledge hammer to the engine and cut up the frame with a hack saw. Don't know what happened to Evil's but I know when he broke most of his bones jumping the fountain at Cesar's Place in LV he was still ridian an Indian.

Maybe riding an Indian but not jumping one...

msteve1014 - 2-20-2015 at 02:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by durrelllrobert  
I know when he broke most of his bones jumping the fountain at Cesar's Place in LV he was still ridian an Indian.

Yeah, Great recommendation for Indian.

Cisco - 2-20-2015 at 03:19 PM

This is an informative and interesting blog (for me anyway) as a VanDweller.

I am unable to post photos on this machine but if you are a sexually active Nomad VanDweller I would suggest you check out the photo halfway down on page 16.

Also, Jay-Cee talks a lot about and shows photos of his gold finds and equipment.

Hope you enjoy the read, I have many times.

http://www.hipforums.com/forum/topic/272652-21-years-in-a-19...

Hook - 2-21-2015 at 06:26 AM

That guy, Two Dogs, is a little too spartan for me. And I think I would need to clean up a little more often than he does.

But to do it on 5k a year (plus the occasional gold find, I guess) is pretty impressive. Especially with TWO dogs, and they ain't that small. He's saving a bundle on haircuts, blade razors and shaving cream, though. :lol:

Full-time companionship, excluding dogs, of course, would also be much too expensive and space compromising.

He clearly doesn't move around very much. How could you, even with gas relatively cheap now. His idea of freedom seems to be freedom from other humans. Mine is more about freedom of movement. And he does reside relatively close to the fringes of civilization, geographically. His regular spots are pretty easy to get to; they'd have to be in that van.

But, for the context of this discussion about vehicles and possessions, he has some valuable insights. So do the others, as he appears to have abandoned the thread in

I think a small utility trailer would do wonders for how cramped the van must be with all his possessions. Again, if not getting out on unmaintained dirt roads much, it would make vanning much more tolerable to me.

Potential vehicle threads, like potential boat threads, are always interesting, always insightful.

Cisco - 2-21-2015 at 04:26 PM

K:

Too late for this year but this will give you an idea about how it all goes together.

http://www.cheaprvliving.com/gatherings/

and some general information that I have not looked at. Headers are interesting.

http://www.hipforums.com/forum/forum/58-campingoutdoor-livin...

BajaRat - 2-21-2015 at 08:37 PM

K,
Casitas have quite a cult following, I have friends who loves theirs. Some nice advantages to small, easy tow, short wheel base for easy handling and better back country access and you have all the comforts without a large investment. One thing I thought was cool is their two piece fiberglass construction, kinda like a clam shell. Another name that seems to have the same construction is the Burro, Fun name for Baja.
If you end up going that route keep searching on line for a while so you have a good idea of what a good price is and always shop for the best condition, heavy use and fixer uppers are rarely a good deal unless there is vintage value.
Tons of great advice from every one, I guess it ends with what capabilities and comforts you need or are willing to sacrifice :cool: