BajaNomad

COFFEE

ELINVESTIG8R - 2-12-2015 at 07:26 AM

mtgoat666 - 2-12-2015 at 09:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ELINVESTIG8R  

elvis8,
where you been? we missed abusing you.
i dont think you should call keurig "coffee." it's low grade coffee disguised by sugar and flavorings.
throw away that instant coffee crap and get yourself a burr grinder and a high quality coffee maker that brews at 200 deg F and use fresh-roasted beans (less than one week from roasting).

David K - 2-12-2015 at 10:28 AM

Goat, I know you are restricted to low information sources, so here is some news:

You can brew any coffee you want in a Keurig machine. Note that David has an adapter (in the photo) for using his own coffee and not a K cup.

There are also a hundred different kinds of coffee, from many different companies (not all flavored either) available in K cups.

thebajarunner - 2-12-2015 at 11:08 AM

Guess I got lucky
My Kuerig makes an excellent "quick fix" and I just use the old generic Costco French Roast cups- cheap, quick, easy.

Our first pot in the morning is my special blend of French and Guatemala beans, fresh ground and away we go,
But for a quick fix my Kuerig is just fine, thank you.

Also, wondering why mr. el has not learned how to unhinge the "ALLCAPSKEY"
just wondering

motoged - 2-12-2015 at 01:21 PM

An old coffee ad on TV referred to its brand as "The Real Thing"....

I guess a coffee mug is as good as a real person sometimes.....especially when it doesn't talk. :biggrin:

wessongroup - 2-12-2015 at 04:19 PM

Surprised someone didn't comment on your "grout" ... :biggrin::biggrin:

Hi Sarge

[Edited on 2-12-2015 by wessongroup]

mtgoat666 - 2-12-2015 at 05:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Goat, I know you are restricted to low information sources, so here is some news:

You can brew any coffee you want in a Keurig machine. Note that David has an adapter (in the photo) for using his own coffee and not a K cup.

There are also a hundred different kinds of coffee, from many different companies (not all flavored either) available in K cups.

DK: I don't judge a book by the height of the bookshelf it rests on.

I see you need more of my opinions on kuerig. I think it is wasteful - uses a lot of plastic and paper to package individually. I appreciate that there are a number of good small business coffee roasters in san diego - and I prefer to spend my dollars at small business rather than large megacorporations like sparebucks and kuerig. I dont trust large megacorporations selling coffee - I suspect that they violate fair trade principles when they can save a buck. BTW, there are a number of small coffee roasters in baja now. You should try them, and spend your money in baja (or locally in san diego county area)

Wesson: I am not a fan of dark grout with light tiles.

David K - 2-12-2015 at 05:11 PM

I don't like coffee all that well... I need to add flavored creamer to enjoy coffee... Now, Baja Angel likes it very well, and straight from the bean (or Keurig device) without cream or sugar. Of course she's tough and hunts for meat... I go to the market!

sancho - 2-12-2015 at 05:41 PM

Drifting a bit here, coming back on the
then Cabo/P Vallarta ferry,late '80's, Mex
custom guy asked me if I had any Cafe. Yes I
have some cafe. After a few anxious seconds fortunately
he realized this Gringo did not realize he was using cafe
as slang for weed or cocaine

[Edited on 2-13-2015 by sancho]

pauldavidmena - 2-13-2015 at 04:26 PM

When we were last in Baja, we stopped at Baja Beans in Pescadero on our way to the airport. Two freshly baked scones and coffee roasted on the premises were absolutely heavenly. The tasty libations and laid-back vibe gave us one last taste of Paradise before our return to Snowmageddon later that day.

lizard lips - 2-13-2015 at 04:36 PM

Leaving for work in Manizales Colombia right in the heart of coffee land. I will be a happy boy especially with the big suitcase I am taking!

[Edited on 2-13-2015 by lizard lips]

AKgringo - 2-13-2015 at 07:08 PM

Lizard Lips, so you are going to be a 'Mule' hauling beans north? I wonder if the dogs at the airport hit on coffee beans? I would hate to think of a police dog with a caffeine habit!

lizard lips - 2-13-2015 at 08:28 PM

As I was leaving Cali I was boarding the plane to Bogota and when I reached the cabin door there was a woman dressed in military fatigues and as I approached she stepped in front of me and grabbed my crotch, not hard, but a soft soothing touch. Of course it took me by surprise and I knew what she was looking for. She told me to go to my seat. We exchanged smiles and I entered. No kiss and we didn't exchange phone numbers. I guess the package wasn't big enough for her to be concerned. Really Happened!

willardguy - 2-13-2015 at 08:31 PM

the ol' dundee test?

lizard lips - 2-14-2015 at 12:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
the ol' dundee test?

:bounce:

BajaBlanca - 2-14-2015 at 01:32 PM

en serio? daaaaaaaaaaaaaaang.

Bajahowodd - 2-15-2015 at 06:04 PM

Jesus Cristo. Coffee brewers do only one thing. They heat water to drip through ground coffee. Keurig is like the Dyson of coffee brewers. Just advertise the crap out of it with false information, and the lemmings will buy. Bose is another example of this strategy. Idiots pay a major premium for nada.

mtgoat666 - 2-15-2015 at 06:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajahowodd  

There are also a hundred different kinds of coffee, from many different companies (not all flavored either) av

Jesus Cristo. Coffee brewers do only one thing. They heat water to drip through ground Idiots pay a major premium for nada.

As DK says, you are a low information coffee brewer. Your coffee machine should be between 200 and 205 deg f brewing temp. Any temp too high or too low is creating bad coffee. The drip pattern and contact time matter too. If you like, keep on buying the cheap mr coffe machine at Costco. Or try Try coffee from a good machine, ground with a burr grinder

bajabuddha - 2-15-2015 at 06:36 PM

Coffee Queens. Hope your little pinkie is elevated when sipping. :P

bledito - 2-16-2015 at 08:40 AM

best coffee ever. Eight table spoons added to a quart of water brought to a boil in a pot stirred well then strained through the wifes old panty hose.

David K - 2-16-2015 at 08:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
Coffee Queens. Hope your little pinkie is elevated when sipping. :P

Seriously right? :lol:

chavycha - 2-16-2015 at 09:38 PM

No. You must sip with your left hand; pinky up. Right hand sipping is completely verboten.

Seriously right? :lol:

bajabuddha - 2-16-2015 at 11:18 PM

Errmm, DK is as seriously right as you can get......... :(

David K - 2-17-2015 at 12:12 AM

Better right than wrong, yes?

Marc - 2-17-2015 at 07:14 AM

Here in SanFran Peet's raised a large coffee to $2.50. Screw that..I now brew at the office and figure to save $500 a year and no standing in line.

Bajahowodd - 2-17-2015 at 05:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by Bajahowodd  

There are also a hundred different kinds of coffee, from many different companies (not all flavored either) av

Jesus Cristo. Coffee brewers do only one thing. They heat water to drip through ground Idiots pay a major premium for nada.

As DK says, you are a low information coffee brewer. Your coffee machine should be between 200 and 205 deg f brewing temp. Any temp too high or too low is creating bad coffee. The drip pattern and contact time matter too. If you like, keep on buying the cheap mr coffe machine at Costco. Or try Try coffee from a good machine, ground with a burr grinder

Did not know that you were a dilettante.:lol::lol::lol:

David K - 2-17-2015 at 08:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Marc  
Here in SanFran Peet's raised a large coffee to $2.50. Screw that..I now brew at the office and figure to save $500 a year and no standing in line.

At Costco today, they had cases of Peet's Coffee, in K Cups! :light:

Burr Grinders

motoged - 2-18-2015 at 01:13 PM

I like oily dark roasted beans for my French press or single cup stainless strainer.

My research a few years ago suggested that burr grinders are more likely to clog up with oily beans.

Any experienced views out there?

Lee - 2-18-2015 at 02:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
I like oily dark roasted beans for my French press or single cup stainless strainer.

My research a few years ago suggested that burr grinders are more likely to clog up with oily beans.

Any experienced views out there?

I own a number of mid-priced burr grinders (Rocky, Barista, Baratza). Burr is the best bet for grind.

I don't like oily beans but if I did, I'd clean the burr's regularly. Maybe twice a month. Couple times a year, I put 2-3 ounces of rice through the grinder. That cleans it well.

Try this for everything you want to know about coffee: http://coffeegeek.com/reviews/grinders/starbucks_barista_gri...

Mexitron - 2-18-2015 at 02:24 PM

At the Capistrano Costco last month they had Peet's (Major Dickason's Blend)--2 lbs for 12.99, whole beans. Bought extra so now back in TX sipping on some good brew. Yum.

bezzell - 2-18-2015 at 03:07 PM

(just an FYI) ... coffee is a naturally occuring pesticide. Real nasty as it sits on the plant (although now they have to additionally spray these days, as some critters have built up resistance)
It's actually a seed, not a bean (marketing)
By the time it's 'ready' for human consumption, it's a neurotoxin. The reason you get a bump is b/c your body recognises said toxin, and hence sets about purging it from the system asap. The first step in this process is to give the adrenal glands a lil' kick-in-the-butt, to get things pumping!
Long term coffee use just thrashes the adrenal glands.

(I might use it twice a yr (ish) , if driving at night etc)
Again, just FYI. Not hatin'

Coffee Trivia

Pompano - 2-18-2015 at 03:25 PM

Yes, a seed. It is actually the seeds of a cherry-like fruit. Coffee trees produce berries, called coffee cherries. These fruits are first green before turning red, and each fruit usually contains two beans. The coffee cherries turn bright red when they are ripe and ready to pick.

Here's another thread about this treat..coffee...( the second most-traded commodity in the world. You know the first....crude oil.)

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=71040

p.s. Trying some pretty good Kona beans this week with a French press.

[Edited on 2-18-2015 by Pompano]

Bajahowodd - 3-13-2015 at 04:43 PM

All you yahoos ought to read this. It is exactly what I was saying. Whether it was Keurig, Dyson, Bose, or even Apple, These companies have a marketing strategy that is basically, if we charge alot more money, people with think our stuff is better.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/04/keurig-k-cups_n_680...

Sweetwater - 3-13-2015 at 05:41 PM

Not to dis anyone's Keurig or other fake coffee machine but there is really only one official way of making the real stuff...of course this is scientifically backed by nutty research.....

Mmmmmmmmmm.....coffee........

durrelllrobert - 3-14-2015 at 09:49 AM

Better right than wrong, yes?

Two whites don't make a Wong in China