BajaNomad

Feb trip report: como hace el tiempo? weird...wild...colorful in central Baja

Whale-ista - 2-14-2015 at 11:00 AM

Saturday, Feb. 14: Breakfast at Caracoles in Guerrero Negro
in Vizcaino last night- heavy rain. In GN just now_ sprinkles.

Yesterday in Ojo de Liebre: wind changed 180 degrees, clouds, a brief rain(?!), then we could see lightning on the horizon to the east in the afternoon, then southwest all night. Big, bright flashes thru the clouds, over the distant mountains.

There were "virga" clouds (rain falling, but not hitting ground) all around us, almost 360 degrees- the colors and clouds were incredible at sunset!

Here is a link to a collage of the quickly changing sky: dark gray, bright orange, gorgeous light... no photoshop, no filters- just raw, unadorned Baja colors

Photos of stormy weather

For locals with photos- please share! Shari took us on a sunset photo shoot at the canal near camp last night that resulted in awesome colors & images.

[Edited on 2-17-2015 by Whale-ista]

[Edited on 2-18-2015 by Whale-ista]

Heading north: Don Eddie's RV/hotel, San Quintin

Whale-ista - 2-17-2015 at 01:19 PM

Currently enjoying the relative peace and quiet of Don Eddie's RV/Hotel/Bar. Some construction work going on.

I arrived last night after driving from GN. Good to find gree/fast WiFi in the bar, and good fish burger, AND no problem eating dinner w/poodle indoors.

A very large group filled the place last night, departed early today after breakfast.

Since Eddie's staff was overworked feeding so many people, I wandered next door to eat at the Old Mill/ Molino Viejo. Had some very good chilaquiles (green sauce). Lovely setting, will return Semana Santa with group of friends to spend night en route to see whales.

Interesting discussion with an employee last night. As with Cielito Lindo, when these classic places with "good bones" and interesting history (and great fishing!) don't have good business management, they begin to go downhill.

But for now- I will return and support it!

Now: onward to the border!

chippy - 2-17-2015 at 05:59 PM

Verga clouds:o are you sure?

Whale-ista - 2-17-2015 at 11:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  
Verga clouds:o are you sure?

Oops. Virga.

[Edited on 2-18-2015 by Whale-ista]

motoged - 2-18-2015 at 01:10 PM

Ya learn some good expressions here......:biggrin:

Whale-ista - 2-18-2015 at 02:31 PM

We discussed the tricky pronunciation while looking at the clouds, but I forgot about checking the spelling.