BajaNomad

Winning combo: Great pork, fantastic people

toronja - 2-18-2015 at 04:41 PM

Carnitas Barajas La Paz -- (https://goo.gl/maps/vkBsU)

So, chavycha and I stumbled on a great carnitas place a few years back. Their delicious smoked pork bits are one of the (many) things that get us clamoring to come back down to Baja every year. It appears family run, and the folk have always been super welcoming, but as our visits are limited to a few each year, we aren't exactly regulars.

A few weeks ago we dragged ourselves into Barajas after a 12-hour day on the road, and after the eternity of desvaciones north of La Paz. They provided the usual cheerful conversation and delicious meal. We decided to push on afterwards, and found ourselves half an hour down the road before I realized I had left my bag sitting on the chair there.

In that bag were both of our passports, a camera, and all of our cash. Scott didn't kill me; he gets major points for that.

We arrived back at the restaurant an hour after we left, and I raced in, full panic, to big smiles of relief. They had the bag wrapped up and waiting under the counter for me. Mexico is pretty great sometimes -- a lot of the time.

So, if you find yourself coming into/out of La Paz to the north, stop in at this little gem for some great food and good company. The map is included above, it's on the south side of the 1 about a mile west of the turn off for the airport.

Maron - 2-18-2015 at 04:47 PM

Great story. We concur Mexico is pretty great, most of the time.

bajajudy - 2-18-2015 at 06:20 PM

Eaten there many times?
BTW if it is carnitas, it is deep fried.
Michoacan in La Paz is also excellent.

AKgringo - 2-18-2015 at 06:37 PM

I have been there a few times myself, it is right down the road from Campestre Maranatha RV park and campground where I usually spend some time.
Good food, good prices, and good people!

Tod - 2-18-2015 at 07:12 PM

I believe the same family owns both of these?

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g150777-d207203...

Hook - 2-18-2015 at 08:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajajudy  
Eaten there many times?
BTW if it is carnitas, it is deep fried.
Michoacan in La Paz is also excellent.

Carnitas does not have to be deep fried, though it is probably like that in Mexico, most of the time.

The best carnitas is slow-baked, whole, removed from the oven, shredded, coated with a combo of cola and/or OJ, and then broiled to get the caramelized coating.

Good chefs will also embed whole cloves of garlic into the pork before the baking. Of course, a decent amount of salt and cumin are also necessary.

Carnitas is not very common, here in Sonora. Birria and carne asada seems to rule.

bajajudy - 2-19-2015 at 08:57 AM

Well, Hook, since it's Mexican, I stand by my fried statement

monoloco - 2-19-2015 at 09:57 AM

Barajas fries their carnitas in fresh lard.

BajaBlanca - 2-19-2015 at 11:59 AM

Great story!

Les makes some to die for carnitas ..... in the oven and really baked slowly. The aroma alone is wonderful!

Pescador - 2-19-2015 at 03:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
Great story!

Les makes some to die for carnitas ..... in the oven and really baked slowly. The aroma alone is wonderful!

Well, then, he makes baked pork. When I made them that way some of my Mexican friends told me they were sure good, but did not qualify as "Carnitas".

bajacalifornication - 2-19-2015 at 06:31 PM

Carnitas are made deep fried. If they are not fried we Mexicans do not call them carnitas. And the people from Estado de Michoacan are the best carnitas makers in all of Mexico.

CaboSur - 2-19-2015 at 07:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
Great story!

Just did this last weekend using lard. The Carnitas were delicious. I am now an official Chicharronero !! Mesquite, Lard, Large Pot, Boat Oar, 50 lbs of Pork and cold cerveza... YUM, YUM. Three hours cooking with occasional rock salt added and Coca Cola added for the final touch.