BajaNomad

Where were we?

BajaBlanca - 2-20-2015 at 06:46 PM

Once we have figured it out -more pics of that day!

tripledigitken - 2-20-2015 at 06:54 PM

Rancho Santa Ynez?

Bajaboy - 2-20-2015 at 06:57 PM

in your car/truck?

AKgringo - 2-20-2015 at 07:14 PM

San Francisco De La Sierra? I have seen white washed rocks used as curbs there.

David K - 2-20-2015 at 07:16 PM

Serenidad, Mulege?

BajaBlanca - 2-20-2015 at 07:33 PM

Good job David!

BajaBlanca - 2-20-2015 at 07:46 PM

we were headed to punta chivato a couple weeks ago and decided to pay a quick visit to Serenidad - look at all the planes! Everyone was there for the pig roast:

This one pilot put on a show for everyone - he flew really, really low across the strip a number of times before landing:

and on the wing there is a dog who strutted back and forth - happy as could be!

There were quite a few pilots and copilots for the get together... I, myself, had never seen so many planes.

I still can't believe you guessed it David !

[Edited on 2-21-2015 by BajaBlanca]

Pompano - 2-20-2015 at 08:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  

This one pilot put on a show for everyone - he flew really, really low across the strip a number of times before landing:

Great plane photos of an legendary landing strip in Baja. Reminds me of old times when the strip was full every weekend for the Pig BarBQ.

Just a bit of curiosity, Blanca. Do you know if this Bonanza pilot was a doctor?

dtbushpilot - 2-20-2015 at 08:13 PM

Been there a time or ten, historic Baja fly in place.

This was during the hurricane Jemina relief effort with the Baja Bush Pilots:

chavycha - 2-20-2015 at 08:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Pompano  

Just a bit of curiosity, Blanca. Do you know if this Bonanza pilot was a doctor?

My thoughts exactly. :o

BajaBlanca - 2-21-2015 at 01:27 PM

I have no idea, but if I remember correctly, he was a young'un.

Pompano - 2-21-2015 at 02:13 PM

I have no idea, but if I remember correctly, he was a young'un.

Thanks Blanca, kinda thought so....and to satisfy any questions about the question of that low level airplane down the strip...

As the saying goes, "There are old pilots and there are bold pilots but there are no old bold pilots"

That low-level plane, a Bonanza, in the photo used to be called a V-tailed Doctor killer. The implication being that...Doctors could afford it but didn't have the skill to fly such a hot plane and drilled holes in the ground with it. There are others that have similar reputations but the V-tail was just too big of a publicity target to avoid the controversy. They stopped producing the V-tail only because the publicity was so bad.

An old memory of those Bonanza V-35s....I made many flights in one owned by a Mulege amigo named Don, whom we all called Don Don, naturally. We flew back and forth from Van Nuys, Ca to Mulege and never had a problem..except for once on auto (radio beam) when Don (not a doctor) went to sleep over the Cortez... his snoring made me a little nervous and I shook him awake, auto pilot be damned. Just a bit of trivia for fliers. Times were a lot different back then!

Lots of planes have landed at that strip over the years...including these 4 ultralights flown by some adventurers doing their flight around the entire peninsula. What great fun!

This also happened the Serinadad pista...shows what can happen when you get careless or over-confident.... on or off the ground. The plane was on final approach and almost landing, and then out of the blue...an un-observant pickup drove out onto the runway and one the planes wheels hit the pickup's roof. Anyone remember Ranger Roy?

[Edited on 2-21-2015 by Pompano]

LancairDriver - 2-21-2015 at 08:39 PM

The old V tailed Bonanza's Used to be the hot planes in their day. Not anymore, many of the later designs both factory and experimental are 150mph or more faster. There was a mandatory speed limit put on them due to the V tail coming off with higher speeds and turbulence. A FAA modification strengthening the tail later became mandatory. One well known case of a Bonanza disintegrating coming into Bay of LA many years ago spread wreckage out over a couple miles when they were late in getting in before dark and had too much speed in turbulence coming down. I believe the pilot was the owner of the Nut Tree Restraunt in Northern CA. This was one of many that prompted the modifications. Yes they were known as "crooked tail doctor killers"

Alan - 2-22-2015 at 07:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Pompano  

Great plane photos of an legendary landing strip in Baja. Reminds me of old times when the strip was full every weekend for the Pig BarBQ.

Just as they say about money. "A fool and his plane are soon parted"

I must say I am very happy to see they are still doing the pig roasts. Back in the early 80's people used to fly in from all over on Wednesdays for the Mexican Buffet and then fly out Sunday morning after the Saturday night pig roast

BajaBlanca - 2-22-2015 at 08:38 AM

what stories you all have to tell! Who knew those planes could be so dangerous .... I tell you, everyone was watching this pilot swing around and around.

more airplane stories please.