BajaNomad

Do local Mexican fishermen need a license?

BajaBlanca - 2-22-2015 at 08:50 AM

If you are a Mexican, do you need a fishing license? I seem to remember this discussion once and IF I remember correctly, you need one if you fish out of your community?

aguachico - 2-22-2015 at 09:00 AM

Blanca;
good question. The Ensenada and San quintin charter boats require licenses for Mexican nationals. I buy yearly permits for my family online in 5 minutes using a US credit card and am now getting a 14.8:1 exchange rate.

I think it would be prudent for Les to have a license as you never know and don't need problems. The fee amounts to $4 per month.

saludos

BajaBlanca - 2-22-2015 at 09:59 AM

sure thing, Les has always had one because he fishes all over Baja.

the question remains: do locals have to have licenses if they are on a boat in their own community?

gnukid - 2-22-2015 at 10:11 AM

Yes, though some have licenses purchased through coop and some direct, but today you must carry your fishing license, except children, and of course your wife nor her parents nor grandparents nor cousins too since they don't really fish much hahaha.

aguachico - 2-22-2015 at 12:02 PM

Blanca;

You would think Conapesca would exempt locals born in the specific zone would be exempt from a permit, but if they have enough $ to go fishing, then they should have a permit.

Let me know what you find out as this is a dilemma for me also. I want to take the cunados fishing, but don't want to pay the permit fee. They don't, like most locals, feel they the need to purchase the permit. My boat is my baby, so I don't want to take chances.

Mula - 2-22-2015 at 01:00 PM

I buy licenses online for any Mexican national that goes out in my boat.
Whether they want them or not.
They mostly think I am crazy, but I don't want to take a chance.

yellowklr - 3-1-2015 at 11:53 AM

Everyone must have a Fishing permit. Either its a Commerical type permit or sport fishing. There is no exemption for any locals that is just an urban legend maybe do to the fact that so many dont get one.