BajaNomad

Baja Solar Power question one more time

KaceyJ - 2-24-2015 at 08:39 PM

I'm trying to design an efficient , specific use system , and would like to hear the experience of others out there , from any on this MB , who have switched over to/ built/installed with microinverters instead of a centralized inverter .

As usual , information , promotion and stats are skewed depending on who's selling what .

I would really appreciate any input from those that have been through the same.

Thanks

kc

[Edited on 2-25-2015 by KaceyJ]

monoloco - 2-25-2015 at 07:13 AM

Micro-inverter systems are generally only used in a grid tied system. Is this what you are designing?

larryC - 2-25-2015 at 08:48 AM

Mono is right, the micro inverter system has inverters installed on each solar panel (as I understand the system) and so when there is no sunshine on the panel then there would be no power in your house. Are you trying to put together an on-grid or off grid system?
Larry

KaceyJ - 2-25-2015 at 09:29 AM

Yes , grid tie for a system NOB to power a well pump. But if I buy extra panels I can get a discount and take them to mex

that's what I was thinking anyway, but it doesn't sound like the right idea

monoloco - 2-25-2015 at 09:58 AM

Here's some info for you:
http://forum.solar-electric.com/forum/solar-electric-power-w...

Fernweh - 2-25-2015 at 10:31 AM

Just finished my new solar project, 11 x 275W Solarworld panels with Enphase M215 micro inverters. Finally got the CFE approval, they changed out the meter, and my friend send me that meter picture after a full day of sun.....

The install is very simple, did it all myself, after building the racks from 1-1/2" angle iron, mounted on UniStruts.

The CFE engineer requested an additional private meter, between the solar array and the existing loadcenter.

KaceyJ - 2-25-2015 at 11:02 AM

Fernway , where did you buy your panels?

Fernweh - 2-25-2015 at 01:18 PM

I bought the solar panel here in Los Angeles, from two different wholesale sources. All the Enphase inverters and cable from ebay.

Bob and Susan - 2-25-2015 at 01:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by KaceyJ  
Yes , grid tie for a system NOB to power a well pump. But if I buy extra panels I can get a discount and take them to mex

that's what I was thinking anyway, but it doesn't sound like the right idea

not for this app...
if you want to ONLY pump during the day...
you need a pump that works with any amount of current...
so if the sun is "low" its just pumping slower

if you need water all the time...even at nite
you would need batteries for the night and solar for the day...
no inverter needed if the pump is 12-24-48v

remember if you buy solar for a tax write off NOB then it's fraud if you write them off...and the I R S is unforgiving with these items

Bob and Susan - 2-25-2015 at 01:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Fernweh  
Just finished my new solar project, 11 x 275W Solarworld panels with Enphase M215 micro inverters. Finally got the CFE approval, they changed out the meter, and my friend send me that meter picture after a full day of sun.....

The install is very simple, did it all myself, after building the racks from 1-1/2" angle iron, mounted on UniStruts.

The CFE engineer requested an additional private meter, between the solar array and the existing loadcenter.

how do you lower and raise those solar mounts in the winter and summer...there is quite a "swing" in the sun

remember some panels do not work is there is ANY shade on them...I don't know about these shown

El Jefe - 2-25-2015 at 02:00 PM

Hey, I just like the color of the house. Way to many beige houses in this world!

willardguy - 2-25-2015 at 02:45 PM

'how do you lower and raise those solar mounts in the winter and summer...there is quite a "swing" in the sun'

there certainly is! and if you get up on your roof twice a year (four times if you're really bored) good for you!
that said, I don't know anyone that bothers with it with todays price of panels. when I first installed my system I did it twice, said screw this!
:rolleyes:

Bob and Susan - 2-25-2015 at 03:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  

'how do you lower and raise those solar mounts in the winter and summer...there is quite a "swing" in the sun'

there certainly is! and if you get up on your roof twice a year (four times if you're really bored) good for you!
that said, I don't know anyone that bothers with it with todays price of panels. when I first installed my system I did it twice, said screw this!
:rolleyes:

this isn't very sound $ advice
Willardguy...show us a picture of all your solar panels...
I bet you cant....

willardguy - 2-25-2015 at 03:54 PM

:lol: yeah you got me bob! I lied about adjusting the tilt, why do I do that?
anyway you're on! I'll show you my adjustable mounts, make it interesting!;)

monoloco - 2-25-2015 at 04:08 PM

I just adjusted mine so they are in between the optimum angle for summer and winter, but my batteries are usually absorbing by 9:30-10:00 am, so it doesn't really matter much with my system.

Fernweh - 2-25-2015 at 04:45 PM

Yes, same here. The southern exposure is not perfect either.
I have all the panel without shade by 9:00 AM , and full sun until approx. 3:30PM in the Winter......I'm happy, let see what's the Summer will do.

Also that's why you choose higher wattage panels......maybe I can get 215W out of each, for the M-215 micro inverter's max rating.

ncampion - 2-25-2015 at 05:18 PM

Agree, changing the angle is a non issue. I have mine optimized for summer as that is when the power usage is highest (AC and all). Winter is easy. The price of panels is so low why bother.

BajaRob - 2-25-2015 at 06:08 PM

Agree. I have 24 panels and 24 batteries. I do not change the angle seasonaly. I go to float before noon and wake up to 24.8 volts. I have installed 20 plus systems and troubleshot many more. Unfortunately we have "experts" on this site after being involved in 1 or 2 systems who are posting "facts" that do not hold water. Do your research on credible solar sites and you will get the straight poop.