BajaNomad

Eugenie Clark

Skipjack Joe - 2-26-2015 at 03:48 AM

"Doubilet was with Clark in the Sea of Cortez when she rode the back of a 50-foot whale shark, the largest fish in the sea. He thought he would never see her again.

She later called the ride one of the most exciting journeys of her career."

Dr Eugenie Clark was a marine biologist who passed away very recently. She was very influential in her time - almost to the level of Jacques Cousteau. Hollywood High had a copy of her "Lady with a Spear" which was permanently checked out by me.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2015/02/150225-eugen...

monoloco - 2-26-2015 at 08:35 AM

Thanks for posting that. What an amazing person.

Neal Johns - 2-26-2015 at 08:37 AM

Thank you very much, Skipjack.
Neal

Ken Bondy - 2-26-2015 at 10:15 AM

She was sure a big influence on me. Probably did as much as any individual to refute the stupid fallacious Hollywood image of sharks.

[Edited on 2-26-2015 by Ken Bondy]

Skipjack Joe - 2-26-2015 at 10:36 AM

Did your paths ever cross Ken? Sharks were her main interest as they are yours. Did you two ever meet or converse on the subject?

The article states that she continued to dive almost until the end. That sounds incredible, but she always seemed to me to do things that were incredible.

Ken Bondy - 2-26-2015 at 04:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  
Did your paths ever cross Ken? Sharks were her main interest as they are yours. Did you two ever meet or converse on the subject?

The article states that she continued to dive almost until the end. That sounds incredible, but she always seemed to me to do things that were incredible.

I never met her in person Igor, but I saw her a few times at DEMA conventions in the 90s when I was doing a lot of articles and photos for Dive Training Magazine. BTW "DEMA"= Dive Equipment Manufacturers Association.

[Edited on 2-26-2015 by Ken Bondy]

willardguy - 2-26-2015 at 04:54 PM

I get the "understand and appreciate" part, but those toothy beast's still scare the crap out of me!:lol:
truly a great lady!