BajaNomad

February 27 La Bocana cleanup

BajaBlanca - 3-1-2015 at 11:02 AM

Friday was teacher meeting day for the Middle School (did not include English teachers as we had our own meeting a couple weeks ago), so I asked the 7th graders if they wanted a clean up with BROWNIES afterwards: many said YES, so we agreed to get together under the palapa at our B&B and head towards their school:

GETTING READY - CUT OPEN ALL THE DOG FOOD BAGS:

WORKING IT!

WE FILLED TWO BIG CONSTRUCTION BAGS AND WORKED IN THREE DIFFERENT LOCATIONS - THE LAST ONE IS RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE MIDDLE SCHOOL:

THEN THE BEST PART IS THE REFRESHMENTS WHICH INCLUDED THE EVER SOUGHT AFTER BROWNIES! PLUS MILK, AND A CHOCOLATE CAKE:

AFTER THAT THE KIDS WENT HOME AND MY THREE AMIGAS WHO HELP ME OUT NOW WERE TOLD TO HANG OUT FOR A BIT....I WOULD RETURN SHORTLY.

I CHANGED, RAN UP TO THE MIDDLE SCHOOL TO DROP OFF A CAKE FOR THE MEETING/LUNCH DESSERT. SAT FOR A MINUTE TO SEE HOW THEIR DAY WAS GOING:

THEN I RUSHED OVER TO THE HIGH SCHOOL TO DO MY TEEN ENGLISH CLASS DURNG THEIR RECESS

AND WHEN I GOT BACK, THE ANGELS WERE DOING THE DISHES!

Needless to say, I slept like a baby last Friday and lucky me - Les had gone to Vizcaino and brought back strawberries for margaritas - ahhhhhhhhhhhhh bliss!

Should anyone be headed this way, please bring brownie mix, any flavor cake mix and frostings :)))))))))))))) Such an easy way to get kids involved in the community. I have told them they are now environmentalists ....cause they ARE.

woody with a view - 3-1-2015 at 11:24 AM

hopefully they come to realize how easy it really is to not toss a wrapper or empty can on the ground!

good job, Blanca!

BornFisher - 3-1-2015 at 11:43 AM

If you see a guy next to the road to La Bocana holding a sign that says "will work for brownies" stop!! Might be me!!
Great job teacher and students!!!

BajaBlanca - 3-3-2015 at 01:21 PM

hahahaha come on by BornFisher but make sure it is NOT a Saturday or surely I will drag you to the cleanup!

Yes, I do believe they will never throw trash on the ground again ..... if they can also teach mom and dad then we really make out!

they have asked for another cleanup again this Saturday .... one of the ladies who went with us said she - who never naps - slept for three solid hours last Saturday afternoon. It is very tiring work. She then thought she would not be able to sleep thru the night. Wrong again.

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Udo - 3-3-2015 at 01:36 PM

We need this kind of activity in Bahia Asuncion!

Santiago - 3-4-2015 at 07:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  

Yes, I do believe they will never throw trash on the ground again ..... if they can also teach mom and dad then we really make out!

Last year I was gassing up in BOLA to drive back north when a man walked up to me and asked if I could take his wife to the junction at Hiway 1 so she could catch a bus to Ensenada to visit her grandkids. The woman was in her 40s, maybe early 50s, nicely dressed and had a few bags of toys for her family. Of course, I agreed. Twenty minutes into the drive she rolled down the window and tossed out the empty plastic Pepsi she finished.
Looking at her you knew her home was very clean and her children and family all had clean clothes every day. Here personal appearance and grooming showed pride. I'm willing to bet if one of her kids threw an empty in her yard she would make them go pick it up. Yet, as soon as she was out in the desert.......

BajaBlanca - 3-5-2015 at 03:30 AM

I know, right?

Sometimes people just don't make the connection. We had to be very creative here in La Bocana....the fishermen used to throw their old gloves on the sand, on the beach where they launch. Then the cooperative changed the rule to " In order to get new gloves, you must turn in the old ones."

Simple solution to a serious problem when there are over 150 fishermen.