BajaNomad

ultra light aircraft

bledito - 3-7-2015 at 01:51 PM

I have not seen any of the ultralight two seater parasail type aircraft around while in baja eastcape or todos santos areas are they not allowed oris it thatnot one flys them there

desertcpl - 3-7-2015 at 02:54 PM

don't know if this would apply or not

but a number of years ago a friend of mine had a Casa in San Felipe,, he flew his ultra light out of,, had a little run way on his property,
that ended when the airport authorizes shut him down, he was told he had to pay landing and or take off fees, he got into it big time with them,, he ended up selling his place and moved back NOB

David K - 3-7-2015 at 03:09 PM

I photographed ultra lights between La Mision and La Salina from a helicopter last June.

sancho - 3-7-2015 at 03:20 PM

Back in the day, camped at Muertos Bay, 40 mi southeast of La Paz, 3 ultralights, the fixed wing type, landed, with support
vehicle , they flew the length of the Peninsula from the
border with AZ

monoloco - 3-7-2015 at 03:45 PM

There is still one frequently flying around my neighborhood.

Pompano - 3-7-2015 at 03:58 PM

There has been ultra-lights flying up and down the peninsula for as long as the highway has been built..early 70s. We had some fliers from Mexico City who were touring all around Baja in these shown parked at the Serinadad. A couple were two-seaters. Young adventurers having a ball...flying VFR....vee follow roads. ;)

Being a land for adventurers...nothing is too strange... we've seen hot-air balloons, gliders, hang-gliders, and just plain 'contraptions' come down the peninsula. One day a very fast moving high-horsepower Mustang came roaring over Coyote Bay. Turned out it was during a drug bust in the Bay and it was helping locate a smuggler who had supposedly fled into the mountains. Never a dull moment.

[Edited on 3-7-2015 by Pompano]

pelone - 3-7-2015 at 04:51 PM

Where was the photo of the marina taken? Looks very interesting.

David K - 3-7-2015 at 04:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
I photographed ultra lights between La Mision and La Salina from a helicopter last June.
[/URL]

LA SALINA

Hook - 3-7-2015 at 08:09 PM

We have aa ultralight flying around our area on a regular basis. They take off from a basic dirt road. No hassle from the authorities at all.

I asked him if I could go up with him one day, as it is a two seater. He said the max weight he could take besides himself was 130 lbs. I ruefully admitted that I was about 60 lbs to heavy.

alacran - 3-7-2015 at 11:16 PM

I have a film from the guy that flew from Venezuela to the East coast of U.S, then South, landed at Serenidad, I drove him around Mulege, then went South back to Venezuela, he had a web site about his progress...then the web went dead. Hope he made it back.
Single ultralight.

basautter - 3-8-2015 at 05:59 PM

There is a guy who has been giving rides out of San Felipe for years. I think it's ok.

BajaBill74 - 3-8-2015 at 07:43 PM

For the last three years there has been a two place ultra lite flying on the east side of Cabo San Lucas. Don't know the weight limit is for the passenger.

Driving West from San Jose Del Cabo it's where you would turn right to follow Hwy 1 to Todos Santos. Instead turn left and he is off to the left.

Interesting note is that about six years ago flying from another location he crashed and his passenger wanted to know if he could get his money back. No.

P.S. I like Mulege better than Cabo San Lucas.

CortezBlue - 3-9-2015 at 04:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by basautter  
There is a guy who has been giving rides out of San Felipe for years. I think it's ok.

Rafael is the guy in San Felipe

My cousin went up with him last year. I think it was about 35 bucks for a 20 minute ride.
He is actually a German fellow, but has been here for many years.