BajaNomad

My review of 2014 Chevy silverado

Santiago - 3-8-2015 at 08:53 AM

In September of last year I traded in my 2007 crew cab Z 4X4 Silverado with 5.3L for the exact same truck. I hated the 5-speed tranny in the '07 even though I got 230K miles out of it, just hated the shift points and the way it dogged when 'trying' to accelerate after costing. I was happy that GM had fixed this with a new 6 speed tranny and boy - am I disappointed. This thing is a complete dog and I doubt I can stand to be in it for 7 more years like the last one. If you need to quickly accelerate and are only going about 20-25 MPH, be prepared for a 2 or 3 second delay while the whole computer/engine/tranny combo try to understand what is meant when the driver has the pedal to the metal because there is a huge truck rapidly growing in his mirror as the driver of the truck is looking at his cell phone.
I have taken it in to the dealer who says I have the latest chip in it but if the chip is an improvement, I would hate to see what it was like before.
Chevy is still selling the Z with P-tires and not LTs and iffy shocks. That's OK, really, as they can be swapped out.
OK, now the nice stuff:
1. Awesome electronic system with blue-toothing to my phone. The whole thing is operated via verbal commands but does not understand any of the seven words. Not a one of them.
The GPS system is not operated via discs but on the truck's 40gig hard drive, for goodness sakes, and will be updated via On Star I've been told. We'll see.
2. Trailer package comes with built in electric brake controller, although I have not used it yet.

woody with a view - 3-8-2015 at 09:06 AM

trade it in on a Tundra and don't look back!

bajamedic - 3-8-2015 at 10:58 AM

My daily driver is a 2013 Ram Laramie Longhorn Limited Edition. I love my truck, the heated and cooled seat is more comfortable than my lazy-boy recliner, a super surround sound system, heat and AC work great. The Cummins with 850# of torque coupled to a 6 speed Aisin Transmission makes it almost as much fun to drive as my ol 69 Super Bee.

For what it is worth, I have the 6.0 V8 and a 6 speed in my 2015 motorhome and I have not noticed any acceleration lag, power or transmission problems. JH

jack - 3-8-2015 at 01:24 PM

I have a 2011 Chev extended cab long box 4x4 with a 6 L gas motor and the 6 speed transmission. So far the truck has been excellent. My only complaint is that gas mileage isn't that great and the factory remote start has such a short range that it is almost useless. I had a race with my buddy who has a Ram diesel that is chipped, I can't remember the year ( I think its around a 2008) but he claims its the best Cummins that was ever built. We started off at about 40kph and were side by side up to 160kph where he backed off (probably the Dodge suspension was starting to scare him;).

Santiago - 3-8-2015 at 02:50 PM

I wonder if the 6 speed mates better with the 6.0 than the 5.3?

msteve1014 - 3-9-2015 at 05:09 PM

I was very surprised to hear how much you dislike the new truck. I drove 2008 Chevy 6.0 with a loaded service bed as a work truck for a long time and really liked the way the trans. worked up and down steep roads with a big load.

Santiago - 3-9-2015 at 08:07 PM

It seems everyone with the 6.0 liked it; anyone with the 5.3L like the 5 speed or the newer 6?