BajaNomad

Is Pepper Spray Legal in Baja??

basautter - 3-8-2015 at 06:02 PM

Can anyone tell me if pepper spray is legal in Baja for personal protection, and if so, can you take it across the border??

vgabndo - 3-8-2015 at 08:35 PM

Yes

DENNIS - 3-8-2015 at 09:07 PM

No problem.

Pepper Spray

POPEYE-SCOTT - 3-8-2015 at 10:46 PM

[Edited on 3-9-2015 by POPEYE-SCOTT]

bajalearner - 3-9-2015 at 07:01 AM

I have been told it is legal in MX.

If you are going out to buy some, go to a uniform shop to get it. They sell the stronger spray used by cops. About $25, and well worth the money! I prefer the stream spray as apposed to a wide angle spray so I can direct the stream for a more precise shot to the eyes mouth or nose. Spray it in 1 second bursts so you can adjust the aim if needed.

Pepper spray should be shaken at least every month.

Can't seem to post reply.

POPEYE-SCOTT - 3-9-2015 at 08:03 AM

David K - 3-9-2015 at 08:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by POPEYE-SCOTT  

Not if it contains Spanish letters, accent marks, or if it is pasted from Word, any apostrophes or quotation marks... until the host fixes the new software.

vgabndo - 3-9-2015 at 08:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajalearner  
I have been told it is legal in MX.

If you are going out to buy some, go to a uniform shop to get it. They sell the stronger spray used by cops. About $25, and well worth the money! I prefer the stream spray as apposed to a wide angle spray so I can direct the stream for a more precise shot to the eyes mouth or nose. Spray it in 1 second bursts so you can adjust the aim if needed.

Pepper spray should be shaken at least every month.

Remind me to never go where you live! I've carried it in my truck for years and not even once had to use it. Having to use it so often I might develop special techniques and preferences is just plain scary! :lol::lol::lol:

Hows about a pepper spray gun

blackwolfmt - 3-9-2015 at 08:58 AM

piexon_jpx__01991_zoom.jpg - 90kB

Pappy Jon - 3-9-2015 at 09:43 AM

There is no way I would have that in Mexico. They freaked out once with my timing light.

POPEYE-SCOTT - 3-9-2015 at 01:00 PM

discoverbaja web site lists pepper spray as not allowed in mexico.

BajaNomad - 3-9-2015 at 01:13 PM

http://www.discoverbaja.com/go/crossing-border-mexico/#custo...

vgabndo - 3-9-2015 at 02:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaNomad  

http://www.discoverbaja.com/go/crossing-border-mexico/#custo...

This Mexican government customs site has an exhaustive list that DOES NOT include pepper spray.

http://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/reinounido/index.php/visas/79#7

mulegemichael - 3-9-2015 at 02:46 PM

i keep a little bottle of it in our baja vehicle and it's had many a young soldiers hand on it at checkpoints over the years with no problems.

vgabndo - 3-9-2015 at 03:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mulegemichael  
i keep a little bottle of it in our baja vehicle and it's had many a young soldiers hand on it at checkpoints over the years with no problems.

DITTO Michael...the only time I was ever nervous about it was when a Ag. inspector at Guerrero Negro, years ago, picked it up, pointed it at his face and started futzing with the safety. I didn't know at the time if it was legal or not, and felt that we were possibly seconds away from him going to the hospital and me going to jail.:lol::lol::lol:

sancho - 3-9-2015 at 03:24 PM

I imagine Discover Baja and like sites take a cautious approach
when handing out info, can't imagine they want clients
coming back at them for erronous info. I would never give
a Mex Army kid a reason to ? me. Whether a baseball bat,
flare gun, knife is legal may depend on how the Mex Authority
you are talking to sees the regs

24baja - 3-9-2015 at 03:27 PM

We keep bear repellent and Hornet spray available

Barry A. - 3-9-2015 at 03:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by vgabndo  
Quote: Originally posted by mulegemichael  

DITTO Michael...the only time I was ever nervous about it was when a Ag. inspector at Guerrero Negro, years ago, picked it up, pointed it at his face and started futzing with the safety. I didn't know at the time if it was legal or not, and felt that we were possibly seconds away from him going to the hospital and me going to jail.:lol::lol::lol:

"going to the hospital"??? Why would anybody hit with Pepper Spray need to go to a hospital? I have been sprayed many times in training------it hurts a lot, but no "hospital" ever was necessary?!?!?!?!?

Barry

Barry

vgabndo - 3-9-2015 at 04:50 PM

Who knows, Barry, what would have happened it the guy had shot himself in the face at close range. My point was that twenty years ago he seemed to have no idea what he was dicking with, and it made me very uncomfortable thinking what might happen. I've been exposed to significant amounts of both CS and CN in (semi) controlled conditions, and I knew damned sure I didn't want this guy to push the button inside my camper van.

Barry A. - 3-9-2015 at 04:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by vgabndo  
Who knows, Barry, what would have happened it the guy had shot himself in the face at close range. My point was that twenty years ago he seemed to have no idea what he was dicking with, and it made me very uncomfortable thinking what might happen. I've been exposed to significant amounts of both CS and CN in (semi) controlled conditions, and I knew damned sure I didn't want this guy to push the button inside my camper van.

Good points, Vag, and I understand. Pardon my knee-jerk response.

Barry

POPEYE-SCOTT - 3-9-2015 at 06:38 PM

Great information... knowing its allowed is good news. :bounce:

basautter - 3-9-2015 at 07:33 PM

Thanks everyone for the feedback! My takeaway is that it is ok, but don't advertise, and probably not the pistol version...

sancho - 3-9-2015 at 09:01 PM

Barry, that was a nice gentlemanly response to Vagabundo,
well done

Tod - 3-10-2015 at 07:15 AM

Bear Spray kept in the casa. Much more powerful than the small pepper spray. Recommended to use against bears vs. a gun as more reliable in a panic situation.

DENNIS - 3-10-2015 at 07:49 AM

I have bear spray too. Probably the most effective of the available sprays, but not too much more effective than a long-reaching Wasp Spray that can be purchased at WalMart for a lot less.

Tod - 3-10-2015 at 03:23 PM

I have both but I am not taking wasp spray hiking in Montana.:biggrin:

DENNIS - 3-10-2015 at 03:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Tod  
I have both but I am not taking wasp spray hiking in Montana.:biggrin:

No. I wouldn't either. That's a job for a .44 mag.

apple - 3-10-2015 at 06:09 PM

No, that's a job for Bear Spray