BajaNomad

Report on the importation of used autos from the US to Mexico

Santiago - 3-12-2015 at 06:10 AM

Interesting report here.

Ateo - 3-12-2015 at 06:45 AM

Very interesting. Lots of money to be made on both sides of this story -- Used vs. New.............

As Mexico's economy continues to grow, I'd imagine credit will be easier to get and newer car sales will grow, but what do I know?

CaboSur - 3-12-2015 at 07:16 AM

Credit to purchase used cars for the working class in Mexico for all practical purposes is non existent. With shy high interest rates and a large year end payment which coincides with there year end bonuses, most opt for the used cars.

I would recommend the foreign community here to also consider importing there autos. Its really not difficult, the last one i imported last year a 2006 Ford Escape cost $900 US

I was able to load the vehicle with all personal items and drive from Cd. Juarez with my wife to Los Cabos. The vehicle was never out of my possession.

AKgringo - 3-12-2015 at 08:18 AM

I have been told that with dealer mark ups, fee's/taxes, that a Mexican manufactured vehicle costs more in Mexico than it does when shipped to the US.
Can anyone confirm or debunk that info?

Pescador - 3-12-2015 at 08:21 AM

I wonder who the rube was that wrote that article. When it is a challenge to buy a car that costs $2,000 USD and where is a person going to get the money to buy a car that costs $20,000.

They only need to sit on my front porch for a few hours to see what passes for automobiles down here making their way up and down the street. A car yesterday had the drivers side door missing, back window broken out, a gas can on the roof with a hose running in to the carb, and they want these guys to buy a new car.

SFandH - 3-12-2015 at 08:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Pescador  
A car yesterday had the drivers side door missing, back window broken out, a gas can on the roof with a hose running in to the carb, and they want these guys to buy a new car.

No, but in the large cities there are many people who can afford to buy new cars. I visit Playas de Tijuana frequently, a modern middle / upper middle class urban neighborhood, and there are many new cars on the street. Rarely do see beat up old cars like you do in rural areas.

Mexico February 2015: Market shoots up 22% to record level

SFandH - 3-12-2015 at 08:55 AM

About the Mexican new car market:

http://bestsellingcarsblog.com/category/mexico/

monoloco - 3-12-2015 at 08:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by CaboSur  
Credit to purchase used cars for the working class in Mexico for all practical purposes is non existent. With shy high interest rates and a large year end payment which coincides with there year end bonuses, most opt for the used cars.

I would recommend the foreign community here to also consider importing there autos. Its really not difficult, the last one i imported last year a 2006 Ford Escape cost $900 US

I was able to load the vehicle with all personal items and drive from Cd. Juarez with my wife to Los Cabos. The vehicle was never out of my possession.
I believe there is currently some sort of moratorium on the importation of vehicles into Mexico.

monoloco - 3-12-2015 at 09:03 AM

http://yucalandia.com/2014/09/17/new-rules-announced-for-per...

durrelllrobert - 3-12-2015 at 09:56 AM

Since we, as individuals, have always had to pay import duty for cars that will be in Mexico temporarily or permanently (with the "border zone" exception?) and the crooked politicians and judges under investigation for exempting used car dealers from the import duty. I think the new rules will add another $1000 or so to those used car prices in the future and make them less affordable.

Mexico new car price

AKgringo - 3-12-2015 at 10:32 AM

Has any one following this thread compared the price of a new vehicle in a city such as La Paz, compared to cities like Pheonix or Southern CA?

monoloco - 3-12-2015 at 10:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Has any one following this thread compared the price of a new vehicle in a city such as La Paz, compared to cities like Pheonix or Southern CA?
It's difficult to make a head to head comparison because the cars are not the same. Cars made for the Mexican market generally have lower quality interiors, less features, and fewer safety features.

BajaBlanca - 3-12-2015 at 01:48 PM

two thoughts:

we were looking to buy a Canadian's KIA since he decided he would rather fly than drive home but were told NO used Korean or Japanese cars allowed.

I see in the article that they mention the law in Mexico City where you can only drive on certain days depending on the number on your license plate. In Brazil this law backfired when people simply bought two cars - one with the odd number and another with an even numbered license plate. So, then they were legal every day of the week.

Bob and Susan - 3-13-2015 at 06:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by CaboSur  

could you tell us that story...names and places...and telephone numbers...

this is interesting...my estimates have been around $1800 out the door