BajaNomad

Mexican Customs and Fishing Reels

rdrrm8e - 3-16-2015 at 01:34 PM

This is a cut and paste from BD:

Guys,
Just an FYI I work at Okuma Fishing Tackle and we just received another Makaira reel that Mexico Customs destroyed while the angler was on the way out of Mexico. There was a note each time saying they were looking for drugs. This time the left the customers reel in pieces and decided to drill out the spool looking for a hollow area. Just a heads up for anyone traveling down there.

What's next? Surfboards?

Curious

AKgringo - 3-16-2015 at 01:49 PM

Was it a Mexican, or US inspection? Do you know if your customer was driving across the border, or was the note left with the reel in a checked bag?
It is hard to imagine taking such extreme measures for what would be a small amount of drugs!

Edit...Sorry, I just r-read it and saw that this was a cut and paste, and not your customer. It would be great to know if the traveler was flying or driving though.

[Edited on 3-16-2015 by AKgringo]

rdrrm8e - 3-16-2015 at 01:54 PM

Flying. I don't know what airport...but I am guessing PV. I'll ask around.

Santiago - 3-16-2015 at 03:13 PM

Wow, that's brutal.
I take it that the film canister in the middle of the peanut butter jar is still OK?

redhilltown - 3-16-2015 at 11:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Santiago  
Wow, that's brutal.
I take it that the film canister in the middle of the peanut butter jar is still OK?

Seems like it would displace some of that precious peanut butter...:)

desertcpl - 3-17-2015 at 04:25 PM

thats just out right B,ll crap

even if there was drugs inside the spool,, good god it would have been so small

that is a case of customs wearing their badges to heavy

Martyman - 3-19-2015 at 03:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Santiago  
Wow, that's brutal.

Hey don't tell everybody!