BajaNomad

Flying Home Again To Baja

bonanza bucko - 3-17-2015 at 09:51 AM

I posted this before but if you have not seen it you might like it.

We stopped flying to Gonzaga Bay about 5 years ago because of the new road and because "The Boss" always wants to carry the kitchen sink along:?: We flew into there from both North and South California for about 30 years and loved it...miss it now. I hope you enjoy this trip:

https://vimeo.com/68383565

Bonanza Bucko...old fart, old Baja bum and Baja Bush Pilot:-):D

durrelllrobert - 3-17-2015 at 10:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bonanza bucko  
I posted this before but if you have not seen it you might like it.

We stopped flying to Gonzaga Bay about 5 years ago because of the new road and because "The Boss" always wants to carry the kitchen sink along:?: We flew into there from both North and South California for about 30 years and loved it...miss it now. I hope you enjoy this trip:

https://vimeo.com/68383565

Bonanza Bucko...old fart, old Baja bum and Baja Bush Pilot:-):D

Nice work Bruce

David K - 3-17-2015 at 10:19 AM

Great to see again!

Did you sell your home or just stop flying to it?

Alfonsina's is pretty special to me as it was the first place we camped in Baja (near where the houses extend to now) back in 1965...

The runway is still just above sea level, except at the highest tides, just like back then!

bonanza bucko - 3-17-2015 at 10:29 AM

David:
Won't ever sell...I hope. We just drive now...only about 7 hours from SD if you speed:-)
BB

Alan - 3-17-2015 at 10:50 AM

That bring back sooooo many memories of Baja over so many years. Thank you!

capt. mike - 3-17-2015 at 10:57 AM

Miss it too Bruce. Thanks for the trips.

Memorial 2010 was last trip here. To Mulege.

David K - 3-17-2015 at 02:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bonanza bucko  
David:
Won't ever sell...I hope. We just drive now...only about 7 hours from SD if you speed:-)
BB

Good for you!
Last time I camped at Alfonsina's was Thanksgiving 2003, at La Cantina de Floyd (Brandi's) with my kids... otherwise, just stops for shrimp dinner since then. Sadly, the paved road breezes by without a good view of one of Baja's best beach locations! Maybe that will help keep people from filling up the area?

bonanza bucko - 3-17-2015 at 02:45 PM

David:
The new road produced some break ins...the first ones in the 35 years we have been there...so Alfy's owners assessed us all for security and we now have a fence around the whole place and a gate manned by two guards who patrol and watch where people go when they check in....so far after two years of that no problema.

We thought the new road would produce noise from 18 wheelers and Jake Brakes but so far that hasn't happened. Rancho Grande has even been turning off their big lights some times so we can see the stars the way nobody up here has seen them in about 50 years.

BB

Whale-ista - 3-18-2015 at 07:40 PM

Wonderful photos. Thank you for posting.

Cliffy - 3-18-2015 at 08:45 PM

What a fantastic production! Absolutely beautiful!
My first trip to Baja was in '73 to Papa's. Landed on his strip. Had dinner with him and his family.
Can you provide the credit to the last song "Rollin" I'd like to find a copy.
Looks like you were doing around 150 kts at 4500' What model V tail?
I fly a 64 Mooney C now that I'm retired.

bonanza bucko - 3-19-2015 at 06:45 AM

Cliffy:
Glad you like the slide show. That Rolin" song is by Randy Newman and you can get it on iTunes...I think for nothing.

Our Bonanza was a 1969 V35A that I flew all over the place for 29 years and 2600 hours until I thought I would lose my medical (age) so I sold it and bought an RV12 S-LSA. That is a very capable airplane (120 its, 500 mile range, 550# payload with full fuel) but it ain't a Bonanza.

The Bonanza usually cruised about 165 kts at 65 % power at 8000 feet. It gobbled real estate really good! We flew it for years from Sacramento to Alfy's at Gonzaga Bay on weekends. That was a 2000 mile round trip and the Bonanza did't mind that a bit.

EBB:-)

DebMer - 3-19-2015 at 07:07 AM

Beautiful. Thanks for sharing.