BajaNomad

Building filled with scallop shells?

geoffff - 3-19-2015 at 11:16 AM

On the south end of Bahia Concepcion, there's what appears to be an abandoned RV park where the one remaining building is overflowing with scallop shells. What's the deal with that?

(GPS: 26.5374, -111.7365)

I was going to ask a more general question along the lines of what's the deal with those huge piles of scallop shells you find everywhere in Baja, but I did some poking around here and answered my own question. So sad about the overfishing.

Quote: Originally posted by Pompano  
3000 persons living in ramshackle huts along the shores of Conception Bay destroyed the bay scallop population. At the peak of this rape, there were over 1000 pangas heaped to almost sinking with scallops making their trips from the diving grounds to the shore camps. These were Mexicans from places other than Mulege.

The stink from these camps permeated the entire atmosphere of the Bay. Being downwind of one of these camps would make you gag. The shells were thrown away carelessly...literally the whole shoreline was covered with those piles.

The Bay is now dead and it's national shame. [...]

Still not sure why the Bahia Concepcion guys made the effort to put their shells in this building...(?)

-- Geoff

bajabuddha - 3-19-2015 at 11:54 AM

If you travel the entire circumference of the Bay, you'll see literally hundreds and hundreds of middens of the little shells; most of the old piles that are fairly accessible by pick-up have been hauled into town/settlements for landscaping and driveway paving. Looking at that photo it seems there were more piles outside of the ruin... maybe those were shoveled in for safe-keeping until a later date, or they're just what hasn't been removed yet.

I had heard earlier stories of the rape of the Bay in the early '60s, the pangeros diving, the man-camps and tarp shelters shucking, and Japanese container ships loading all aboard for processing and shipping back west. Palms were greased in the Federal Government (NO!) for the fishing rights. All heresay, no proof. But, that was told to me by old Pablo Fuerte who lived there at the time.

Tomas Tierra - 3-19-2015 at 01:13 PM

Callo Catarina?

AKgringo - 3-19-2015 at 01:35 PM

Maybe the shells were dumped in there by the landholder to discourage squatters? Just a guess, but someone wanting to stay there would have a lot of work ahead of them.

Bob and Susan - 3-19-2015 at 01:55 PM

the real story...

in the 70's there were hundreds of people "mining" scallops in the bay until it was almost stripped...the bay was lined with camps

the shells went to the "graveyards" in the desert

the govt finally banned scallop fishing in the bay except for one month a year...I have a copy of a news article somewhere about the scallop fishing and the ban in the bay

all the people left

now the scallops are back...these shells could be poached or from the past

David K - 3-19-2015 at 02:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  

I had heard earlier stories of the rape of the Bay in the early '60s, ...

...But, that was told to me by old Pablo Fuerte who lived there at the time.

Not the early 60's... not until AFTER Highway One was paved was the bay 'raped'... pavement came in 1972 and the highway was completed by the end of 1973.

See Bob & Susan's post above... "the real story..."

Shell's

J.P. - 3-20-2015 at 08:58 AM

Those Shells make a excellent road base or Shell Driveway. In Houston Tx. there was a Concrete co. Called Houston Shell and Concrete. that used Shell Dredged out of the bay instead of rock .It was very good Concrete. The government shut the dredging down because they said it was destroying the Oyster Beds. Concrete went from 55$ a yard to 90$ over night because they had to Ship Rock in by Train

motoged - 3-20-2015 at 10:16 AM

Lotsa shell middens along the peninsula ....

It's a real nice drive going north along that peninsula.....with a few fishcamps, great views, some surprises, and some "excellent ubication" :

willardguy - 3-20-2015 at 10:31 AM

from chicken feed to dustless chalk to road bed material there's all sorts of stuff these shells can be turned into. wouldn't it be great if we could convince the chinese they make a great soup thickener or an aphrodisiac!;)
the local fishermen could harvest scallop shells instead of totouava!

[Edited on 3-20-2015 by willardguy]

elgatoloco - 3-20-2015 at 10:56 AM

The yard at our NOB home is decorated with some of those shells. :saint: Our first trip out to San Ignacio lagoon took us right by mounds and mounds and mounds of shells. :(

re: chinese aphrodisiac - be careful what you wish for. :o

Udo - 3-20-2015 at 11:00 AM

Thanks for the nice photos, motoged.

We probably see the same barber!

motoged - 3-20-2015 at 11:37 AM

Udo,
That guy with the egghead is DT Bushpilot....we spent a week riding middle Baja together in 2011. Despite that time together, we still like each other....:biggrin:

Here is my ride report for that trip:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=666961

san ignacio shell piles

Whale-ista - 3-20-2015 at 05:35 PM

Agree- Those piles of shells are a sad legacy of illegal fishing from decades ago.

Locals in San Ignacio described a story of similar "gypsy" poachers who descended there in the 70s, illegally harvested shellfish of all kind, and dumped the shells where they can still be seen along the road as you head toward the whale camps. The locals were devastated by the illegal operation.

As another post noted: it was a quick, efficient "blitzkrieg" operation by many people using many boats, living at the lagoons for the time it took to take all they could without permits. By the time the government responded, the damage was done.

I was told of this in the 90s, and hope it has not happened again since those days.

Quote: Originally posted by elgatoloco  
The yard at our NOB home is decorated with some of those shells. :saint: Our first trip out to San Ignacio lagoon took us right by mounds and mounds and mounds of shells. :(

re: chinese aphrodisiac - be careful what you wish for. :o

motoged - 3-20-2015 at 06:48 PM

So.......maybe some enterprising locals might "mine" this resource and recycle these middens for a better use ....such as those and other uses suggested.....:light:

woody with a view - 3-20-2015 at 07:10 PM

we took the bypass at GN a couple of times. we drove thru the dump and filled up on dozens of the best examples to use on the risers of our steps, front and back. i haven't found the time for the project yet, but the shells don't care!

Pompano - 3-20-2015 at 07:35 PM

Somebody thought of the shell pile 'recycling' business a long time ago, motoged.

It's been a very common practice for many years to have a few truckloads of the bay scallops shells hauled to homes or business places to use for driveways and other projects.

It was a trifle smelly at first many years ago, because a lot of the shells had not completely dried out. Back in the day, you could always tell a new driveway when you drove in and got that first whiff of the 'fresher' shells. Time and many passes with the tires helped matters.

All part of a Baja-living experience. Believe me, it was much more enjoyable eating them fresh from the seabeds. ;D

Like these that we could get by just a quick snorkle in front of mi casa at Coyote Bay. Yummy with any recipe, but my favorite was to shuck and eat them right away...with a bit of fresh lime juice.

motoged - 3-20-2015 at 07:52 PM

Roger,
Yes, I have seen them all over for drives and walk-ways.....and know that locals have been using them functionally as well as artistically.

Just thought I might try and suggest using them rather than seeing another thread focus on the destruction of the planet.

And here is a handsome face.....taken when DT and I looked you up on the day of that ride when the pics above were taken:

Pompano - 3-20-2015 at 08:22 PM

Ged, Indeed, my worker, Victor, and I hauled many trailer loads of shells for my long driveway. A labor of love it was not, but we got the job done and got the reward of cold beers from Co-pilot. She was very emphatic about me taking a good long shower..uff da!

All I can add...You bet, it does seem the endless back and forth lectures on the destruction of Mother Nature are getting pretty old..especially to those of us whose lives are actively in touch with and preserving said Mother Nature. Preaching to the choir..

And speaking of Mother...Looks like Mommy dressed me that day..ouch.

Hey, I got some great shots of you and dtbushpilot hot-rodding out of there that day, too. I think the life of a biker agrees with you guys.

[Edited on 3-21-2015 by Pompano]

luv2fish - 3-21-2015 at 02:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Lotsa shell middens along the peninsula ....

It's a real nice drive going north along that peninsula.....with a few fishcamps, great views, some surprises, and some "excellent ubication" :

" WHO LOVES YOU BABY ? " Is that him ?? picture 11 Ole Telly Savalas :lol::lol::lol:

Pacific and Atlantic sure look different

durrelllrobert - 3-22-2015 at 11:36 AM

Pacific Scallop

Atlantic Scallop

Udo - 3-22-2015 at 11:42 AM

I have about 16 of these shells.

I use them as appetizer serving dishes.

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
we took the bypass at GN a couple of times. we drove thru the dump and filled up on dozens of the best examples to use on the risers of our steps, front and back. i haven't found the time for the project yet, but the shells don't care!

Udo - 3-22-2015 at 11:44 AM

I have about 16 of these shells.

I use them as appetizer serving dishes.

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  

Pompano - 3-22-2015 at 02:17 PM

There's no end to the fun with projects and decor from empty shells.

My favorite is this very nice Christmas present from our Mexican amigo's family. What a great bunch of fine kids.