BajaNomad

Catch me up

Osprey - 3-21-2015 at 07:43 AM

A lot of expats retire along the border to be close to the kids, grandkids but we are way down the peninsula. My wife visits her daughter in Texas every other year and in between the daughter and family come down to visit and fish with us. It is enough -- I stay here and watch the house, the dogs. But after 20 years, even with Dish, Magic Jack and the internet, I am waaay behind on what's what in the good old U.S. of A.

1. When young people buy body bling who punches the holes in their eyebrows, noses, lips, tongue, etc.?

2. How low is low for their Levis now?

3. Is Starbucks worth the trip, the $?

4. How much is a room at Motel 6?

5. Can you still get a beer for 2 bucks at the airport?

6. Are camera stores closing, losing out to phones and ipads?

7. Is it true "Should I buy a car or go see a concert, show or a ballgame?"

I have another 1000 questions but I'm weary of typing.

monoloco - 3-21-2015 at 07:51 AM

The hardest thing is remembering where you are because every city and town seem to have the same landmarks now. Go past the golden arches, turn right at the Walmart, look for the Target store on your left, blah, blah, blah

Marc - 3-21-2015 at 08:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by monoloco  
The hardest thing is remembering where you are because every city and town seem to have the same landmarks now. Go past the golden arches, turn right at the Walmart, look for the Target store on your left, blah, blah, blah

It's the same in London or Beijing.

BajaBean - 3-21-2015 at 09:28 AM

Osprey Answers as I see them.

To wit:
1. Young people will do anything to be "in" even looking like they fell face first into the tackle box. It will pass. Same with tattoos.

2. Mid thigh. I am told this trend started in prison where male hookers would "advertise" for business.

3. I still remember ten cent cup of coffee, so no.

4. Sure not six dollars. Try 60 to 100.

5. Unlikely but I have no experience with that.

6. Camera stores have gone the way of the buggy whip stores.

7. Your choice. It will cost about the same.

Things have changed a great deal since my youth. Not so much for the better.

Have a great day.

sancho - 3-21-2015 at 09:42 AM

I believe a beer at the San Diego Padres baseball park, Petco,
downtown SD, is $8 for smallish draft. Seems like us, say over
50, have fallen of the age group advertisers target, we go around mumbling 'hey, get off my lawn'

Osprey - 3-21-2015 at 09:51 AM

I don't have a lawn. How much is a lawn?

Udo - 3-21-2015 at 10:37 AM

Real grass is about $3.00USD per square foot. Artificial grass is about $5.00 per square foot.

(I'll send you an e-mail RE the LLORAN story.)

Whale-ista - 3-21-2015 at 11:06 AM

If you can afford the water, and keep to a tight schedule, you can have a lawn in San Diego- but you can only apply water to the lawn on designated days, depending on your street address.

Odds can water Sun-Tu-Thu., evens Mon-Wed-Sat. And condos/apartments have their own days... and no one can water for more than 10 minutes, etc etc.

Waiting for the "lawn permits" to be issued soon...

Quote: Originally posted by Osprey  
I don't have a lawn. How much is a lawn?

mtgoat666 - 3-21-2015 at 11:11 AM

Pathetic!
Why do the elderly have to always complain about how everything has changed for the bad?
Crikey!
I hope I die before I get old!

jbcoug - 3-21-2015 at 11:54 AM

Goat, I know we haven't met, but my impression from reading your posts was that you were around 70. You kind of present that old guy cranky image. I thought you were one of us!

Osprey - 3-21-2015 at 12:06 PM

Goat, you and I can finally agree on something. We both hope you die before you get old.

woody with a view - 3-21-2015 at 12:14 PM

Osprey, i ain't the how low the levi's hang it's how little material the bikini's contain!

:cool:

LancairDriver - 3-21-2015 at 12:31 PM

Goat, you and I can finally agree on something. We both hope you die before you get old.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

bajabuddha - 3-21-2015 at 12:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
Real grass is about $3.00USD per square foot. Artificial grass is about $5.00 per square foot.

High quality grass is going for about $60-$80 per gram (in the States that allow it).

Then all other questions are moot point.

AKgringo - 3-21-2015 at 02:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Pathetic!
Why do the elderly have to always complain about how everything has changed for the bad?
Crikey!
I hope I die before I get old!

The definition of 'Old' that has worked for me since I was in my twenties, is my age, plus ten years!
I am 68 now, how are you feeling?

blackwolfmt - 3-21-2015 at 03:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  

High quality grass is going for about $60-$80 per gram (in the States that allow it).

Actually Buddah the real grass goes for more like 20-45 or so I don't have a clue about the artificial stuff:cool:

bledito - 3-21-2015 at 10:07 PM

bajabuddha 60-80 a gram makes a ounce over 1680 dollars that's insane you must be out your mind to pay that price but then maybe you are if your smokin it too. unless your cost basis is in pesos then it may be about right.

bajabuddha - 3-22-2015 at 08:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bledito  
bajabuddha 60-80 a gram makes a ounce over 1680 dollars that's insane you must be out your mind to pay that price but then maybe you are if your smokin it too. unless your cost basis is in pesos then it may be about right.

It's why I quit many, many years ago; it just makes you STOOPUD. No, I don't and won't pay that price, nor would I imbibe in skunkweed that may be full of pesticides. Check the legal 'gourmet shops' and see what people will pay for extra-high quality 'lawn' these days (prices do vary for quality; more bang for your buck, so to speak). I suggest you look in Aspen, Colo. for starters.

It's a WEED, that grows anywhere, any climate, and has been re-re-refined into hybrid strains (not your Kentucky Blue Grass any more). It does cost more than other recreational substances that require a series of chemical and mechanical alterations to make them useable, when all 'lawn' requires is basically water and tertiary care.

Hopefully in my lifetime the majority will come to its' senses and decriminalize. I believe Colorado just got a $75 Million boost to its' school systems this last year. The last post by Wolf of $20-45 is accurate, from your City corner coffee-pot cafes; I was referring to 'designer-quality' for the elite and famous. Even still, at $20/gram is 280% more than 'The Good Old Daze", ain't it? And, it's still just a WEED. Dirt, water, light. Easy-peasy. Meantime, I enjoy my 5 p.m. martinis, and no, I don't buy Grey Goose either.

[Edited on 3-22-2015 by bajabuddha]

Taste is in the mouth of the drinkholder

durrelllrobert - 3-22-2015 at 09:12 AM

Meantime, I enjoy my 5 p.m. martinis, and no, I don't buy Grey Goose either.
Ketel One
Belvedere
Oso Nrgro

5 brands, 5 tasters and Oso Negro got 4 out of 5 votes as the best

Osprey - 3-22-2015 at 09:30 AM

Wow! Bob, please don't spread it around that I'm drinking Oso Negro, the good stuff. I didn't know it was good. I thought it was cheap. Seriously, a wholesaler in San Lucas told me that his $2 Karet was his biggest and best seller for the wells in the hotels. Now that's scary cause I remember pouring out the ones I bought from him along with a few others whose names I can neither pronounce or remember.

mtgoat666 - 3-22-2015 at 09:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bledito  

It's why I quit many, many years ago; it just makes you STOOPUD. No, I don't and won't pay that price, nor would I imbibe in skunkweed that may be full of pesticides. Check the legal 'gourmet shops' and see what people will pay for extra-high quality 'lawn' these days (prices do vary for quality; more bang for your buck, so to speak). I suggest you look in Aspen, Colo. for starters.

It's a WEED, that grows anywhere, any climate, and has been re-re-refined into hybrid strains (not your Kentucky Blue Grass any more). It does cost more than other recreational substances that require a series of chemical and mechanical alterations to make them useable, when all 'lawn' requires is basically water and tertiary care.

Hopefully in my lifetime the majority will come to its' senses and decriminalize. I believe Colorado just got a $75 Million boost to its' school systems this last year. The last post by Wolf of $20-45 is accurate, from your City corner coffee-pot cafes; I was referring to 'designer-quality' for the elite and famous. Even still, at $20/gram is 280% more than 'The Good Old Daze", ain't it? And, it's still just a WEED. Dirt, water, light. Easy-peasy. Meantime, I enjoy my 5 p.m. martinis, and no, I don't buy Grey Goose either.

[Edited on 3-22-2015 by bajabuddha]

280%
The stuff in the stores now is 4x more potent than the skank you smoked in the 1970s, and inflation since the 1970s has changed relative value of dollar
I hear that in Washington the legal weed prices have been falling ever since legalization. Market economy at work! Too much supply? Too little demand?

Udo - 3-22-2015 at 10:28 AM

A thread hijack in progress!

bledito - 3-22-2015 at 10:34 AM

Just spoke with a guy from california that said the medical stuff could go for 20 dollars a gram top shelf he says. I guess they have different shelves. making it 580 dollars and ounces. so Perhaps there is someone selling it for the price you stated. just seems incredabally pricey for a weed. so how would one get a license to sell and grow it? seems there is a ton of money to be made.

bajabuddha - 3-22-2015 at 11:28 AM

A thread hijack in progress!

I just figgered it was part of the other 993 questions not asked, and just trying to allay the carpal tunnel pain....

blackwolfmt - 3-22-2015 at 12:53 PM

SORRY buddah, Ok I will take the Blame on this hijack even though it was unintentional Back on track I remember when it only cost 68 cents to fill my dirtbike with gas and 10yrs ago I could buy a 30 pack of Hams for 11.99 in MT now 20 bucks

bledito - 3-22-2015 at 01:18 PM

you have to pay for parking most places you go in large cities. cigarettes are 10 dollars in the city. a movie is over 10 bucks.craft micro brewary beer has become very popular but expensive.

bledito - 3-22-2015 at 01:30 PM

a ball game cheap seat parking hotdog peanuts and a few beers is gonna cost ya 100 bucks a person.

bledito - 3-22-2015 at 01:36 PM

living costs are up and wages are down, lotsa homeless on the streets. and it seems there are a lot of immigrants or illeagals around. i used to like being in usofa but that is diminishing the more I see how things are changed.

Martyman - 3-23-2015 at 02:14 PM

Killer bud in Sonoma Co. CA $160/oz

mtgoat666 - 3-23-2015 at 02:44 PM

But after 20 years, even with Dish, Magic Jack and the internet, I am waaay behind on what's what in the good old U.S. of A.

I have another 1000 questions but I'm weary of typing.

what has happened in 20 years????

1995, what a great year, the middle of the first Clinton administration, I remember it fondly! Here we are 20 years later and it looks like Hillary will get her turn,... hooray!

sancho - 3-23-2015 at 02:48 PM

I suppose the $ of weed in one's life, indicates how old
one is, for you whipper snappers, I remember $15, could
have been Eucalyptus for all we knew

pauldavidmena - 3-23-2015 at 03:30 PM

That escalated quickly...

Skipjack Joe - 3-23-2015 at 04:15 PM

Cheapest California Motel 6 is at Buttonville off hwy 5, near Bakersfield. $35 per night. It's cheap because of the smell of cows from the nearby stockyard. It permeates the air everywhere.

Lee - 3-25-2015 at 01:58 AM

Off on your prices a bit:

Flowers
Gram 1/8oz 1/4oz 1/2oz 1oz 2oz
Member Mid Shelf Strains $5 $17 $35 $70 $135 $270
Member Top Shelf Strains $5 $23 $45 $90 $175 $360
Member Vault Premium Strains $10 $35 $70 $140 $280
Non-Member Mid Shelf Strains $5 $23 $45 $90 $175 $360
Non-Member Top Shelf Strains $5 $25 $50 $100 $200 $400
Non-Member Vault Premium Strains $11 $38.5 $77 $154 $308

Osprey - 3-25-2015 at 06:59 AM

Veeeery revealing. Thanks. I have learned that after 10 years Nomads don't know or don't care how, why or where their kids punch holes in their skin to display body jewelry but they know, down to the centavo, the cost of weed.

Hijacked or not I may start another one of these threads just to find out more about you.

wilderone - 3-25-2015 at 07:07 AM

Gee - you all know so much about the price and kinds of weed. just sayin ...
I don't notice that younger people are quite so "out there" with goth - hardly see them anymore. Tattoos are prevalent. Low-slung baggie pants with underwear showing is a style a small fraction wears. And thank heaven they're not wearing pajama bottoms to school anymore.
Beer at the airport is probably more like $4, but why would you want to drink a lot of beer at the airport when, for instance, San Diego is the apparently the craft brew hub of the nation.
Lots of pro baseball cheap seats.
Senior rates and matinees for movies - $6 at a lot of places and usually just a handful of people inside. RedBox rental for me - $1.49.
The draught, electronic devices, traffic, and your preference for "farm to table", 99 cent store, farmer's markets, big chain grocery, fastfood foods, is what shapes our daily routine.
Purchasing goods online is replacing trips to local stores - for anything you want or need - at a competitive price, delivered to your door.
Lots of choices to make your world turn.

watizname - 3-25-2015 at 08:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

Then all other questions are moot point. [/rquote
Off on your prices a bit:

Flowers
Gram 1/8oz 1/4oz 1/2oz 1oz 2oz
Member Mid Shelf Strains $5 $17 $35 $70 $135 $270
Member Top Shelf Strains $5 $23 $45 $90 $175 $360
Member Vault Premium Strains $10 $35 $70 $140 $280
Non-Member Mid Shelf Strains $5 $23 $45 $90 $175 $360
Non-Member Top Shelf Strains $5 $25 $50 $100 $200 $400
Non-Member Vault Premium Strains $11 $38.5 $77 $154 $308

Strains?? The word makes me think of either a disease or the pain I get when I try to hard to do something I'm too old to do.
Does anyone else remember the red or green cellophane wrapped bricks that went for about $60 a pound? Good ol' Mexican grass. And no pesticides back then. My buddy and I would use his bottom drawer to break them up and then divide them by hand into 16 baggies as equally as two "happy" guys in a smoke filled room could. We had a particularly stealthy distribution method. We would put them in a brown paper bag and put them on the floor in the back seat, where no one would ever think to look, and go visit our friends, where we would announce that we had "lids" for sale. $10 bucks an ounce. Funny thing about them though. The longer you had them the smaller they got. No one wanted to purchase without testing the merchandise. Then came Viet Nam, and adulthood and Kids and----- Boy---Long time ago. Kinda amazing I made it this long.
And just so this isn't a total hijack -- It looks to me like they are making young mens pants now that have the crotch about where the knees are. What's up with that???? :?::lol:

This Bud's for you

durrelllrobert - 3-25-2015 at 09:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Martyman  
Killer bud in Sonoma Co. CA $160/oz

monoloco - 3-25-2015 at 09:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
Gee - you all know so much about the price and kinds of weed. just sayin ...
I don't notice that younger people are quite so "out there" with goth - hardly see them anymore. Tattoos are prevalent. Low-slung baggie pants with underwear showing is a style a small fraction wears. And thank heaven they're not wearing pajama bottoms to school anymore.
Beer at the airport is probably more like $4, but why would you want to drink a lot of beer at the airport when, for instance, San Diego is the apparently the craft brew hub of the nation.
Lots of pro baseball cheap seats.
Senior rates and matinees for movies - $6 at a lot of places and usually just a handful of people inside. RedBox rental for me - $1.49.
The draught, electronic devices, traffic, and your preference for "farm to table", 99 cent store, farmer's markets, big chain grocery, fastfood foods, is what shapes our daily routine.
Purchasing goods online is replacing trips to local stores - for anything you want or need - at a competitive price, delivered to your door.
Lots of choices to make your world turn.
Might be good if online shopping becomes more popular, maybe we won't need so many Walmarts. If only they could come up with online fast food.