BajaNomad

Santa Rosalia for the day

BajaBlanca - 3-21-2015 at 06:21 PM

We snuck off to Santa Rosalia and did some unique things this time - I went to the El Boleo Museum and this is what I saw:

ANTIQUE TYPEWRITER:

A VAULT WITH ALL THE EL BOLEO INCOME AND EXPENSE BOOKS - MUST'VE BEEN A HUNDRED OF THEM:

SOME HISTORY:

THIS CAME OFF A BOAT THAT SANK:

THIS FRENCHMAN WAS SENT TO DO MINERAL SURVEYING:

A PROCESSION IN THE 50'S:

THIS IS HOW ORE WAS SHIPPED OFF:

WE STOPPED IN THE EL BOLEO BAKERY AND THESE CINNAMON ROLLS WERE VERRRRRRY SOFT AND DELICIOUS, WE HIGHLY RECOMMEND THEM AND I HAD NOT SEEN THEM THERE BEFORE:

FOR LUNCH WE WENT TO THE PAISANO TAQUERIA AND IT DID NOT DISAPPOINT - NOT ONLY THAT - IT TURNS OUT THEY DO THEIR OWN FLOUR TORTILLAS..........riquissimas:

THERE IS MORE TO COME ON ANOTHER DAY BECAUSE WE HAD TWO SIDETRIPS THAT DAY: ONE TO THE CEMETARY AND THE OTHER TO THE NEW SUPER LEY and boy is it super.

David K - 3-21-2015 at 06:46 PM

Thank you Blanca! Santa Rosalia continues to surprise us who remember it as an ugly mine company town 50 years ago!

ncampion - 3-21-2015 at 06:53 PM

Santa Rosalia is slowly but surely turning into a nice little city. When we drove through last week it looked like some clean up/redevelopment was happening to the old buildings along the highway just North of the marina. Maybe all that mine money is doing some good!

Pescador - 3-21-2015 at 07:08 PM

No, we are doing it slowly so that we do not have a great influx of tourists. They keep passing up for greener pastures.

Udo - 3-21-2015 at 07:13 PM

I am going to agree with ncampion. I could not have said it better.

Thanks for sharing, Blanca!

Maron - 3-21-2015 at 07:47 PM

Nice history lesson and photos.
Thks

BajaBlanca - 3-23-2015 at 05:36 PM

You are welcome and there is so much more to come soon.

bajabuddha - 3-23-2015 at 05:52 PM

Santa Rosalia is still living on a wing and a prayer. The "Big Mine Money" is no longer Canadian, it's Korean. Not necessarily known for benevolence and sharing. Yes, there's lots of ore to extract, both copper and an abundance of lesser minerals worth far more. Sta. R. is evolving, and for now, is a 'boom' town in a 'bust' economy (the Country in general). I'm totally tickled the new stores and restaurants are in town. As always in Mexico, there are dreams built on rumors and vice-versa; we'll see how it all plays out in time, but for now, it's a great place to spend a day or three, and see how the 'other half' lives in Mexico, because Sta. R. will always be the 'enigma-town' in Baja; commerce, busy, not catering to cruise ships or Rastafarians in Huespedes. It is in itself, itself.

How's the new sushi bar doing?

BajaBlanca - 3-24-2015 at 06:35 PM

being that we were at the super ley, I should have looked to the side to the sushi place but I didn't. So, I have no idea if it has taken off or not.

Santa Rosalia is growing very quickly - when the Canadians owned the company, some of the engineers were avid American fishermen and came over and stayed in our B&B. Their intel said that the mines would be up and active for the next 25 years. So, the way I see it: some lucky kids will be able to begin and end their careers right there in town.