BajaNomad

Input on EXCEED sat internet in Northern Baja

bonanza bucko - 3-26-2015 at 10:27 AM

I would like anyone with personal experience with EXCEED sat internet in Northern Baja to tell me what they think of it. We are at Gonzaga Bay.

Please no BS or conjecture...just the facts...how fast, how reliable, how much $$, how did the installer from either Ensenada or San Felipe do? etc.

Thanks.
BB:-)

CortezBlue - 3-26-2015 at 03:50 PM

After 35 years in the IT biz, the big word is, latency.

Due to the physics, it takes to much time to send the signal up back down, back up and back down again.

This causes an data error and plays hell on streaming.

Word processing and web browsing is fine.

willardguy - 3-26-2015 at 03:55 PM

I get what your saying but folks waaay down south are reporting full gallop speeds! I also hope to hear from folks norte baja (like BB Gbay)

Russ - 3-26-2015 at 04:03 PM

I was told the installer would be by my house today. Boy am I disappointed. :?: :(
? maņana

Mula - 3-26-2015 at 04:08 PM

In San Nicolas Julio Issac was supposed to be here Tuesday the 17.
I was gone and got back Saturday afternoon the 21st. He still had not been here.

But he showed up Sunday morning and had all 3 of us up and running by nightfall.

He is really harried now as he is the only installer in Mulege and everyone is pulling at him to get to their places.

He is a nice guy and has been doing this type of work since 1997.

SFandH - 3-26-2015 at 04:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
I get what your saying but folks waaay down south are reporting full gallop speeds!

Will the speeds decrease with an increase in customers?

Just wunderin'

BajaBill74 - 3-26-2015 at 04:44 PM

They are saying a maximum of 300 installations.

Since people start off with a 10 gig limit, that should work just fine.

In my opinion, 10 gig is way to little. If people started upgrading their plan to say about 50 gig, that would make the load the equal to about 1,500 customers at 10 gig.

I just picked 50 gig because I think that's the minimum when you have a decent speed. Use your own "gestimate".

Russ - 3-26-2015 at 04:49 PM

I'll bet he'll be a lot happier when/if the second installer arrives. I am amazed with the number of systems he's installed in our area and I haven't heard one complaint. I'm not upset really. I know it'll get done and my snail system is working.

Quote: Originally posted by Mula  
In San Nicolas Julio Issac was supposed to be here Tuesday the 17.
I was gone and got back Saturday afternoon the 21st. He still had not been here.

But he showed up Sunday morning and had all 3 of us up and running by nightfall.

He is really harried now as he is the only installer in Mulege and everyone is pulling at him to get to their places.

He is a nice guy and has been doing this type of work since 1997.

Justbozo - 3-26-2015 at 07:43 PM

Bill74

Everyone's usage habits are different.

I don't do movies and very little You Tube, but lots of research, no games, cloud storage, video chat, Skype telephone service, cloud print and sync across all my desktop, laptops and tablets.
In the states I use a Verizon 4G wireless hotspot with a 5gig monthly plan.
I normally stay within this sometimes adding a gig or 2. I have bumped up to the 10 gig plan for very busy periods. 50 gigs without using streaming would be way beyond. If you stream alot it may be not enough.

CortezBlue - 3-26-2015 at 07:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
I get what your saying but folks waaay down south are reporting full gallop speeds!

Will the speeds decrease with an increase in customers?

Just wunderin'

The answer is yes, but it depends who is on and what they are doing. If they are streaming, then it will take up more bandwidth
Cable Modems are similar. You normally have 4 folks tied to a pedestal the have to share the bandwidth

norte - 3-26-2015 at 08:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by CortezBlue  

Due to the physics, it takes to much time to send the signal up back down, back up and back down again.

How long have you had Exceed installed?

Bob and Susan - 3-27-2015 at 06:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by norte  
Quote: Originally posted by CortezBlue  

How long have you had Exceed installed?

actually that's not what slows it down...
its called "throttling" (sp)
them company slows the speed at their server on the ground
the sat can only accept so much data at a time
the company could over sell the service at any time
then ...like hughes...it could get slow
don't be fooled

J.P. - 3-27-2015 at 07:48 AM

We Have Exceed at our Get Away place in Far East San Diego County . We have the basic plan O $ for the install O $ equipment rent because we have ben a long time customer of Direct TV. It has ben up and running for 6 mos. When we stay up there most of the month we get the notice we are approaching the maximum limit
As far as performance it's every thing the say it should be.
As soon as I locate a Dish it will be at my house down here I may have to purchase more plan but that's ok.