BajaNomad

Dog story #2

BajaBlanca - 3-26-2015 at 02:53 PM

a couple years ago, we had a santa ana style summer here in la bocana. highly unusual since it is usually quite cool. after all, the waters of the Pacific are freezing most of the year.

as I was saying, it was a very hot summer and one day I happened to go by a house and noticed a dog in distress - tongue hanging out a mile, panting hard, looking downright miserable.

attached to a pole with about 3 feet of rope, no water, full sun all over his body and piping hot sand to sit on. I saw a guy working on the front porch and asked if it was his dog.

No......

Well, I said, it is too hot for the dog to be here.

Not my dog ......

So after a couple minutes he sees a guy on a quad and says - here comes the owner. said quad with the president of the ejido at the time, races up to the porch and I begin again:

hola, is this your dog?

yes.

the dog is suffering -there is not water nor shade.

I am punishing the dog, he says.

Punishing??????? I answer incredulously. It is a dog! I say. and it is illegal in Mexico to physically harm a dog (the law had just just been passed here).

He ignores me and my blood begins to boil. Thoughts of going and getting the police cross my mind. I tell myself to take it easy and give the guy a chance to remedy the situation with me not breathing fire.

As hard as it was, I forced myself to drive around for a while and then swing back.

NO DOG! To this day, every single time I go by the house, I look for the dog and never again has it been seen tied up there.

I think this qualifies as a GOOD/BAD dog story too.