BajaNomad

Tried Hook's suggestion - it was a hit!

Santiago - 3-29-2015 at 01:58 PM

Posted by Hook about a year ago: Santiago, I tell you, you should go to a Target and buy one of The Cube chardonnays they sell. It is produced by Trinchero Winery. Remarkably good for a box wine. Better than 90% of the chards I have had below 15.00/bottle. Not a fruity butterbomb, either. Very well balanced. Very slight oak, if any.

We took down three cubes, two chards and one cab/syrah blend. Easily the best box wine we have ever had. Normally we will just give our left-over box wine to whomever is in camp but not this time, too good.

Marc - 3-29-2015 at 05:27 PM

Available NOB?

Santiago - 3-29-2015 at 05:51 PM

it's in Target, for goodness sakes

Hook - 3-29-2015 at 07:47 PM

I just came back from AZ with one Cube. We havent opened it yet. Curious if each vintage is different. I havent had it in a year or so.

It was actually on sale for, I believe 16.88 or 18.88, cant remember which.

So, basically four good "bottles" of Chardonnay (3L box) for that price. Tough to beat, especially since it stays in a boxed bladder in the fridge and isnt exposed to air, after you open it. I believe the box says it should be good for 2-3 weeks. That, we can confirm.

There is also a fair chance that these boxes might go unnoticed if one was to, say, cross a border with what might be considered an overabundance by a border official from a country south of the USA..............:o I had mine upsidedown in my truck box in the bed; the only portion of the box that DOESNT say Chardonnay on it. The truck box was opened.........but the wine went unnoticed.

Sometimes, you just want a SINGLE glass of wine some evenings (I know, it's rare!) and these boxes work well for that. No more wine deteriorating in a bottle that you might not touch for another 2-3 nights, or using your vacuum pump on a freakin' white wine!

From past vintages (is box wine even sold by vintage???), I found that I was not fond of the malbec or the pinot noir. I seem to remember the cab being good. Dont think I've had the cab/syrah blend.

The wife really likes the Cube pinot grigio and I was supposed to buy that, but they were sold out. I think the Kirkland Pinot Grigio is superior to this, anyway........but I only drink pinot grigios when I grow tired of chards, sauv blancs and viogniers.

BTW, this is an exclusive distribution through Target. But if you live in a state where alcohol sales are heavily regulated (like Co., UT., maybe ID. and WY?), those Target stores will not have it. Not allowed to sell it.

Final note: I saw the Giants play the Rockies on Wednesday. I think you might have trouble scoring runs, amigo. I know you got 21 hits today, but that was against Dodger scrub pitchers.

I'm really impressed with a lot of the good, young players the Dodgers have. Pederson, Alex Guerrero, Grandal and, of course, Puig. They have a good core for a while.

Santiago - 3-29-2015 at 08:02 PM

Yeah, the next few years should be good for them; but then, I picked them to win last year.

Marc - 3-30-2015 at 06:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Santiago  
it's in Target, for goodness sakes

OK..thought Target had locations in Mexico mainland.:?::?:

Martyman - 3-30-2015 at 08:35 AM

Good thing they still have Mattingly. They'll never win it all with him. Go Giants!

chippy - 3-30-2015 at 01:52 PM

No Target in Mainland. Lastima pues.

Hook - 3-30-2015 at 03:01 PM

If Target just pulled out of the Frozen North, I doubt they will be entering Mexico, any time soon.

Bajahowodd - 3-30-2015 at 04:56 PM

No hijack here!:lol::lol::lol:

Hook - 3-30-2015 at 08:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Martyman  
Good thing they still have Mattingly. They'll never win it all with him. Go Giants!

I think there is truth in that.

But Mattingly needs better 7th-8th inning guys, so he isn't forced to stay with Kershaw longer than he should. That makes him look worse that he is.

He's not great at making out a lineup card, either. Dee Gordon was not a lead-off hitter. I dont care how many bases he stole.

Bruce Big Head is the best there is in baseball. Maybe the best I have seen, especially in handling a pitching staff. He's incredible at that.