BajaNomad

Clams post-hurricane... edible or no??

thebajarunner - 3-30-2015 at 08:57 AM

After gathering a nice bucket of clams at LABay last week we were advised by other US visitors that with all the "stuff" that had washed into the bay from the storm that the clams should not be eaten.
We asked some of the locals that we know and they seemed perplexed that this would be an issue. "They are just fine" was the local sentiment.
So, in an abundance of caution we took them back out at low tide and liberated them,
but I am wondering what others are thinking on this topic.
And, if not edible today, then when???

mtgoat666 - 3-30-2015 at 09:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  
After gathering a nice bucket of clams at LABay last week we were advised by other US visitors that with all the "stuff" that had washed into the bay from the storm that the clams should not be eaten.
We asked some of the locals that we know and they seemed perplexed that this would be an issue. "They are just fine" was the local sentiment.
So, in an abundance of caution we took them back out at low tide and liberated them,

sounds like uninformed nonsense!

sounds like you do not you know it is illegal for foreigners to dig clams,...

now you know!

David K - 3-30-2015 at 09:08 AM

There was or still is a massive red tide event in the northern gulf. Everyone was alerted to not eat clams. They are debating what the cause is. It was a big thread here on Nomad just recently.

I know there is at least one Mexican in your group, so I think you won't go to jail for digging clams?!

David is correct

thebajarunner - 3-30-2015 at 09:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

now you know!

We knew already, dude.
But, in fact, as DK points out, we had one Mexican citizen (dual citizenship, actually, born down there, earned PhD up here) along plus several with clear Mexican heritage.
So, we were legal but careful.

vandenberg - 3-30-2015 at 11:14 AM

Only red tide should have anything to do with clams being edible. Water stirred up by storms shouldn't have any bearing at all nor does the run off.
Try to remember not to dig clams during months without an "R" in it.
Red tide season!!

Bob53 - 3-30-2015 at 12:06 PM

I was down there a few weeks ago and there was a warning that went out on the radio about eating clams, mussels, scallops and oysters. Five people became ill in the La Gringa area from eating clams. Even the restaurants were told by authorities that they could not serve the above mentioned items. This was because of the red tide.

Red Tides

Pompano - 3-30-2015 at 12:26 PM

Here's what the 'red' looks like when the 'tide' brings it onto the shorelines.

This photo of a 'red tide' was taken on a stateside shoreline.

This photo below was a few years ago out by Playa Naranjas and the entrance to the Bay of Conception. It has a pungent smell. About the only good thing is...the fireworks at night caused by the 'red' when agitated...waves along the shore, pebbles thrown into it, etc.

Definetely NOT a time to eat any clams. I made that mistake at Requeson about 40 years ago and damn near died. The pain in my stomach was as severe as when my appendix had burst in my youth...no fun. Went to hospital in Sta. Rosalia for some relief.

Be super cautious.

[Edited on 3-30-2015 by Pompano]

thebajarunner - 3-30-2015 at 02:19 PM

Duly noted.
Still interesting that the locals felt it was o.k.
Not worth a big belly ache to discover the truth

Bob53 - 3-30-2015 at 02:25 PM

It's best to ask a general question on radio channel 68 about it. Or ask the local restaurants.

woody with a view - 3-30-2015 at 04:40 PM

the problem was the stuff sitting on the surface that got washed into the ocean, not so much untreated sewage.

carlosg - 3-31-2015 at 02:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

now you know!

...it's NOT ONLY ILLEGAL for foreigners to dig clams, scallops or capture lobsters: IT'S ILLEGAL FOR MEXICANS as well, the ONLY ONES who can do it are those with the proper permits, a Sport Fishing License is ONLY for "fishing"

Read the LAW Governing this issue, go to article 4.2:

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=es&u=...

bajabuddha - 3-31-2015 at 02:18 PM

:O GUILTY.... as charged.... :(

willardguy - 3-31-2015 at 02:20 PM

only if you inhale em!;)

Tioloco - 3-31-2015 at 02:51 PM

Some of us might be going away for a long, long time... :(

bajajudy - 3-31-2015 at 03:14 PM

Had chocolates at El Toro Guero last night...yummmmm

carlosg - 3-31-2015 at 03:35 PM

...have to agree, there yummy and fun to find: guilty!!! that is only if caught... we enjoy these delicacies every time were down in that neck of the woods... just waiting for fall to come so we can travel...:bounce:

Pompano - 3-31-2015 at 05:13 PM

One day we took my boat down to Playa Requeson to look the place over. Much to our surprise and delight we found these freshly shucked and cleaned chocolates sitting on a slab. There was a bowl of cut limes and a bucket of cold Pacifico nearby. We determined it was a gift from Poseidon. I'm very glad we didn't do anything illegal to enjoy them...like putting your hand down into the sand and clenching.

P.S. Dear Poseidon, could you please include a little chopped onion and mango salsa next time? Gracias.

David K - 3-31-2015 at 05:13 PM

:light:

Making me hungry Roger!

norte - 3-31-2015 at 06:04 PM

Why are we letting the bureaucrats tells us we can not gather or eat clams? Just another example of the government getting in the way.

Because it is their country

thebajarunner - 3-31-2015 at 06:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by norte  
Why are we letting the bureaucrats tells us we can not gather or eat clams? Just another example of the government getting in the way.

And they make their own rules
Too many visitors forget that at the border the rules and rights take an abrupt turn...

Alm - 4-1-2015 at 12:22 AM

Yes, "they" make their own rules. Because this is "their" country, duh.

As to the clams (and everything else) - IMO, if it lives in water, it absorbs all the cr-ap that there is in there. All kinds of toxins. So it is "less safe" now than it was before the flood, with all the household and industrial chemicals, rat poison etc washed out. And it will remain "less safe" for "some" period of time, required for those chemicals to break down and/or spread the cr-ap over wider area so that it's concentration in BOLA will drop.

I don't know though, whether local authorities in BOLA had done a proper testing before issuing these warnings - or any testing at all. The village doesn't even have anybody capable of such tests. Antonio has "some" knowledge of marine biology, but this is a more specific area.

alacran - 4-1-2015 at 11:02 AM

Red tide is a no-no for any molluks, the months with "R" are confused with mussels, nothing to do with clams.

chuckie - 4-1-2015 at 11:44 AM

I never dig molluks in my mukluks...

bajabuddha - 4-1-2015 at 03:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by alacran  
Red tide is a no-no for any molluks, the months with "R" are confused with mussels, nothing to do with clams.

No true, amigo. All bi-valve strainer-feeders; clams, mussles, especially oysters, most shellfish in general are susceptible to the bacteria of warmer waters in May, June, July and August. Or, don't believe it, and eat away. I won't. Mukluks taste better that time of year anyway.
:lol:

willardguy - 4-1-2015 at 04:00 PM

that whole months with an "R" deal is pure baloney! wait, maybe its months with an "R" you can't eat baloney, or you can?:?:

Tioloco - 4-1-2015 at 08:07 PM

I thought you learned not to eat clams during a red tide during sex ed.

Tioloco - 4-1-2015 at 08:14 PM

Damn spell check. I meant sixth grade!

dtbushpilot - 4-1-2015 at 08:42 PM

Well bajarunner looks like you got your answer in true Baja Nomads fashion. If you eat clams after a hurricane you could have a great meal, get sick, die or get arrested....hope that clears it up.....Oh, wait, I forgot to mention that it all changes if there is red tide or a month with an "R", in that case you could have a great meal, get sick, die or get arrested....hope this clears it up, no need to thank me...:biggrin:

That pretty much sums it up, does it not?

thebajarunner - 4-1-2015 at 09:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by dtbushpilot  
Well bajarunner looks like you got your answer in true Baja Nomads fashion. If you eat clams after a hurricane you could have a great meal, get sick, die or get arrested....hope that clears it up.....Oh, wait, I forgot to mention that it all changes if there is red tide or a month with an "R", in that case you could have a great meal, get sick, die or get arrested....hope this clears it up, no need to thank me...:biggrin:

Very similar to all the good advice given on my Hiway 5 thread.
You may get over the road with no problem, but you may get lost,
you may do just fine, or you may fall off the edge, you may get past the big rigs, and you may get stuck in the mud, etc. etc. ad infinitum.
With advice like this it is amazing that any newbie is willing to ask any reasonable question.
Thanks for clarifying such a complex subject.
(And, I will not disclose my source, but my most trusted local compadre resident of LABay said the clams were just fine to eat)

woody with a view - 4-2-2015 at 07:31 AM

D T, that is an awesome theory, but since you didn't consider the potential for catching crabs while digging clams its incomplete.

[Edited on 4-2-2015 by woody with a view]

norte - 4-2-2015 at 07:55 AM

Very similar to all the good advice given on my Hiway 5 thread.
You may get over the road with no problem, but you may get lost,
you may do just fine, or you may fall off the edge, you may get past the big rigs, and you may get stuck in the mud, etc. etc. ad infinitum.
With advice like this it is amazing that any newbie is willing to ask any reasonable question.
Thanks for clarifying such a complex subject.
(And, I will not disclose my source, but my most trusted local compadre resident of LABay said the clams were just fine to eat)

Yes kinda like the rest of the Nomad regulars. Ask a question, don't get the answer you were looking for, start whining. Post a response, others disagree, Attack! Peace and Love for sure.

chuckie - 4-2-2015 at 08:51 AM

And Tacos....CLAM tacos

Clams,Crabs and mussels

captkw - 4-2-2015 at 08:57 AM

Damn,, some you "boy's" have Waaayyy too much time on your hands !! :lol:

dtbushpilot - 4-2-2015 at 11:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
D T, that is an awesome theory, but since you didn't consider the potential for catching crabs while digging clams its incomplete.

I didn't consider it woody, last time I caught crabs I wasn't digging clams.....I think there may have been a red tide though :o:o:o

woody with a view - 4-2-2015 at 12:10 PM

:P

bajabuddha - 4-2-2015 at 05:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  

I didn't consider it woody, last time I caught crabs I wasn't digging clams.....I think there may have been a red tide though :o:o:o

That's just WRONG !!! :no:

....BUT FUNNY! :lol:

Did you get rid of them every time but the first? :?:

(p.s.: see above; "Pyronate A-200") :light: