BajaNomad

Casa Hogar Para Ancianos needs donations

Graham - 3-31-2015 at 10:28 AM

A couple of weeks ago, returning from a trip to Los Cabos I stopped at the Casa Hogar de Ancianos near Shipwreck, Punta San Jacinto, about two miles off Highway 1 north of Camalu.

There I saw the wonderful work that Penny Freeland and her two full-time care assistants Juan and Isais, are doing with the "grandpas" and all the care and loving these formally neglected and undernourished old timers now receive. Penny and her husband have poured a lot of their money into this labor of love.

With the protests in the area affecting donations, they are in desperate need of visitors and supplies of everything from food to Depends. Please visit and show your support and bring supplies if you can. Thanks.

Isais, Juan, and Penny doing great work.

A little more information on my TalkBaja post.... Thanks.

http://www.bajagringo.com/TalkBaja/Graham-1.png

tripledigitken - 3-31-2015 at 10:36 AM

The cost of a moderate meal out, used to buy food stuffs and/or hygiene items, will make a huge impact in the grampas lives. It only takes a few minutes from your trip. And, best of all, it will be the one of the highlights of your vacation!!!

Thanks for the post Graham.

DianaT - 3-31-2015 at 02:35 PM

Great photos of such a beautiful place. Penny was so happy to meet you.

And yes, they are VERY low on all supplies.

Thanks for sharing these photos that really capture the feelings and essence of this home, the grandpas, the caretakers, and my beautiful friend, Penny the grandpa's guardian angel.

Fernweh - 3-31-2015 at 03:05 PM

It would be so nice, if somebody could step up and open a Mex Paypal account,

so that willing nomads, can donate easily, without driving down to them.

Karl

MMc - 3-31-2015 at 03:21 PM

Yep!! I would be good for a few pesos.

DianaT - 3-31-2015 at 06:58 PM

Penny is working on maybe getting a PayPal account through one of the well established charitable organizations in that area where the funds would be designated for the Grandpa home. I hope it works.

Meantime, she has given her Us bank account number to a couple of people who are going to deposit funds. Another person Is going to transfer funds via an e-transfer. I need to find out how that works as I have not heard about an e transfer direct to someone, bank account.

If anyone wants her email, just ask!

BajaBlanca - 3-31-2015 at 07:32 PM

great post!

Nappo - 4-1-2015 at 09:11 PM

A group of fishing buddies is planning on stopping June 4. I know that's a while off and I'll check back on needs at that point. Any hints on getting stuff across at SY, like a Costco box of stuff? Wondering how the Costco works in Ensenada? Does our US card work there, credit card, pesos, cash best bet...Blanca and Shari--- Love your work with the community!

jbcoug - 4-1-2015 at 09:39 PM

Nappo,
I passed through in Feb. with quite a lot of stuff and wasn't even looked at at the border. I never pass up a chance to cruise through Costco, so when I went through Ensenada, I stopped and picked up more stuff for Casa Hogar. It makes for a good place to pick up fresh things like eggs and meat. Your U.S. Card works there to get in but the U.S. Amex card wasn't taken. You can pay in pesos or dollars. The grandpas and staff are really appreciative of the donations and the visit!

DianaT - 4-1-2015 at 10:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Nappo  
A group of fishing buddies is planning on stopping June 4. I know that's a while off and I'll check back on needs at that point. Any hints on getting stuff across at SY, like a Costco box of stuff? Wondering how the Costco works in Ensenada? Does our US card work there, credit card, pesos, cash best bet...Blanca and Shari--- Love your work with the community!

Nappo, do you have Penny's e-mail? If not message me and I will give it to you as she knows exactly what is the most needed at any time. But of course, everything is always appreciated.

You and your buddies will be glad you stopped! THANK you.

mjs - 4-2-2015 at 08:24 AM

Can they take cash at the house? We've stopped before when in the truck and got turned back the last time by due to the protests. Heading down tomorrow with a group of bikes so not much room to carry stuff. But peso notes don't take up much room.

Thanks,

Mark

[Edited on 4-2-2015 by mjs]

DianaT - 4-2-2015 at 09:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mjs  
Can they take cash at the house? We've stopped before when in the truck and got turned back the last time by due to the protests. Heading down tomorrow with a group of bikes so not much room to carry stuff. But peso notes don't take up much room.

Thanks,

Mark

[Edited on 4-2-2015 by mjs]

Absolutely YES --- and it is always needed --utilities, fresh food, etc.
Here is Penny's e-mail so you can communicate with her --- I will tell her --- and she will meet you there if you would like freelandib222@live.com. Or you can just leave it with the caretakers and it will be APPRECIATED and they inventory everything!

Funny that you turned around on your last Baja attempt because right when the protests started, 5 motorcycle guys from Nevada were chased off the highway by protesters. Fortunately, they ended up on the road to Penny's place and she and Murray took them in. They were not prepared for the protests and had little food, but they borrowed some food and blankets from the Grandpas --- I wish I had been there to see it because I guess the grandpas were so happy to be able to help her, all the ones who could insisted on putting the things in their truck!

Of course, all was replaced and the guys left a nice cash donation and went back north.

THANKS
Diane

On edit --- again, for anyone going --- here is Penny's email. freelandib222@live.com

[Edited on 4-2-2015 by DianaT]

MMc - 4-2-2015 at 10:40 AM

We have always taken lots of canned goods when we give to places in Baja. The power does go out, the frig and freezer do fill up, but a can will be good a room temp for a long time. The canned good are easier to bury in with everything else. Cash is always good too.

[Edited on 4-2-2015 by MMc]

tripledigitken - 4-2-2015 at 10:46 AM

We found "Smart and Final" to have a good selection of the large cans of food (#10). They also have 50# bags of pinto beans and rice.

churro - 4-2-2015 at 10:31 PM

I will stop by next time i am down that way, but it may be a while.... What about the Pay Pal? ... I am good for a few bucks

DianaT - 4-3-2015 at 07:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by churro  
I will stop by next time i am down that way, but it may be a while.... What about the Pay Pal? ... I am good for a few bucks

Penny is working on it through one of the other organizations. Meantime, some people are just depositing money into her account --- a leap of faith, but there is no more honest person than her.

Someone e-transferred some funds and neither she nor I know how that is done?????