immigration papers

4x4abc - 4-2-2015 at 07:36 PM

seems like the immigration guys are out in force

this morning traffic in and out of La Paz was checked at the Centenario post

dozens of police check points going north

5 police check points going in and out of Santa Rosalia alone
felt like I was in Russia

rts551 - 4-2-2015 at 08:22 PM

Maybe Semana Santa influence as well. Last year there was a lot of police check point activity during the Holy Week.

Alan - 4-3-2015 at 07:00 PM

There are several checkpoints right now around La Paz but I'm not sure what they are checking. I have "local gringo" plates (South Dakota) on my vehicle and they have never stopped me and just wave me through. I've seen them on Highway 1 heading south as well as on the road to Los Planos and Muertos. I haven't been north of Centenario but I assume there is one up there as well. It doesn't appear to be an immigracion check as I only see them talking to Mexican drivers and I don't see anyone being inspected. I am thinking there are several specific "wanted" people they are looking for in response to some of the incidents that occurred in the area late last year. These checkpoints have been manned by both Estatal and Municipal police and are at times accompanied by a few Marineros.

This weekend (starting yesterday there is a huge checkpoint backing up traffic in town before they get on the road out to Tecolote. This really isn't a checkpoint. They are just passing out flyers to everyone on how to have a safe and enjoyable week out at the beaches. Additionally the Navy is providing a presence at all the major beaches this week, Coromuel, El Tesoro, Ballandra, Tecolote and Coyote just to ensure watercraft do not endanger swimmers.