BajaNomad

After Easter

Osprey - 4-6-2015 at 08:05 AM

Well, the crowds are all gone and I think I was right about how the demographics of campers has changed over the years (without me noticing). These blue and white collar folks from Los Cabos showed us their big, new toys and their manners -- they were polite, quiet and anything but boisterous. Today our garbage crew will clean up the beaches and in a couple of days their visit might as well have been a nice dream.

Here's the reason I'm a little show on the pickup on this kinda thing.

Out of Step

Like Rip Van Winkle I feel like time has passed me by – it didn’t miss me, it passed right over me like a mountain river in spring flood. I’ve seen a lot and I’ve also missed a lot. A lot of things I took no notice of and sometimes things I should have avoided became my every day obsessions.

Too old now even for regrets. My big cop out must be that I just didn’t keep up, couldn’t march to any drummer because the pace was just too fast. Can’t blame me for being born way back when.

Here’s how it was:

FDR was President of the United States, Adolf Hitler was the German leader and Josef Stalin was swinging the cat in Russia. The Pearl Harbor attack was not yet anybody’s concept.

Iran was still Persia, the first canned beer rolled off the line and Monopoly was the big game seller.

Some other people nobody had ever heard of then were born that year: Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis and Woody Allen.

The average house would cost you $3,500 bucks, a year’s pay was $1,600, gas was a dime a gallon (bread was 8 cents a loaf).

By the time I was tying my own shoes all that had drastically changed and it just changed faster every day until I just lost my place and I never could get back in line.

If there is any consolation for me it is that I shudder to think how fast you younger folks are gonna have to move to keep up in the fast and furious future.

tiotomasbcs - 4-6-2015 at 09:52 AM

Glad to hear that. Yes, they have nice camping gear these days and of course, motos. There's a lite echo at the beach this morning from this weekends celebration and a smoldering fire in the wind. Everyone had fun as usual. Tio

vandenberg - 4-6-2015 at 11:01 AM

Great post Jorge !!