BajaNomad

Weather advisory, TJ

Dave - 1-7-2005 at 03:05 PM

This storm will dump a ton of water on TJ. Those attempting to return to the States this weekend should NOT travel via the border road.

Unless you absolutely have to......DON'T GO.

Waiting to go

DianaT - 1-7-2005 at 03:20 PM

We live in San Diego and are waiting to head south. According to the reports we see, this storm may last until Tuesday. Does anyone know how far south it will reach or have any other information?

bajaandy - 1-7-2005 at 03:26 PM

JD,

Check this link.... it shows storms well past Ensenada:
http://www.nws.noaa.gov/radar/loop/DS.p20-r/si.knkx.shtml

jeans - 1-7-2005 at 03:58 PM

I talked to my mom just outside of
San Quintin at 1:00 today. No rain there at that time.

She is so thrilled with the new Cingular (North American Plan) cross-border phone I got her for Christmas...with an American phone number, calls back & forth between us are no longer an international call ....or even a toll call! (From her home in Rosarito) However...I gotta let her know that the call from San Quintin WAS a toll call!

[Edited on 1-7-2005 by jeans]

Here comes the Pinapple Express!

Bob H - 1-7-2005 at 04:01 PM

Lots and lots of rain through Tuesday - almost non-stop in the San Diego/Tijuana area. It will be a real mess in TJ.

And, I agree - don't go if you don't have to. There will be lots of flooding and all the stuff that goes with that.

Bob H

Jeans -- question

DanO - 1-7-2005 at 05:45 PM

Does that Cingular phone pick up a GPRS signal in San Quintin, or just GSM?

JESSE - 1-7-2005 at 05:47 PM

Just went to downtown Tijuana a few hours ago, the road is slow but passable, very little traffic and the border looks good.

Dave - 1-7-2005 at 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE
Just went to downtown Tijuana a few hours ago, the road is slow but passable, very little traffic and the border looks good.

By tomorrow morning it will be a nightmare. It takes about 4-5 hours after the heavy rain starts for the border road to become flooded. Once the rain stops allow at least 10 before it becomes passable again.

If you absolutely HAVE to go Jesse or I could direct you to a route that would allow you to get to the border.

What about the Tecate Road

DianaT - 1-7-2005 at 07:26 PM

Hi,
We will wait out the storm before we leave, and once we are down there, we will check on the weather before we return.

Does anyone know how the Tecate to Ensenada road is with these storms?

Thanks
Diane

jeans - 1-7-2005 at 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DanO
Does that Cingular phone pick up a GPRS signal in San Quintin, or just GSM?

Well, Mom called again at 4:30 from El Rosario just because she could. She sounded like she was next door. After living for 20 years without a phone that doesn't cost a fortune, she's like a kid with a new bike. It had not rained at all from Rosarito to El Rosario.

Dano - I don't know anything about GPRS signal, or GSM. Let me know what it is and I'll ask. Apparently Cingular has an arrangement with Telcel that provides for a cross-border area that is toll-free. I had to program two sets of numbers for everyone up here. One set with 001 before the number for when she calls us from Rosarito, and without 001 for when she is in the States and calls us. When I call her it sounds like a Mexican phone ring. The phone switches between services automatically.

There is no such thing as long distance in the US or Canada, free nights & weekends and more minutes than we will ever need for about $60 per month (for two phones). I know the phone is equiped with a GPS locater for roadside assistance (in the US).

Hope this helps.

DianaT - 1-8-2005 at 11:56 AM

Quote:

Did TJ get any rain last night or still waiting?

It rained here in Imperial Beach and we are right next to TJ so I am sure it rained there.

Beginning to look like maybe Tuesday before we will head south---still hoping to hear some news about the Tecate-Ensenada road.

Thanks
Diane

thanks dave!!

paul r - 1-8-2005 at 01:22 PM

thanks for the heads up dave.... ah,...all have potatoe salad with my rebuen....

BajaNomad - 1-8-2005 at 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by paul r
.. ah,...all have potatoe salad...
The three-bean salad is a "can't miss" item, so give it a try.

Curious if there's any report right now about Tijuana? Isn't there somewhere on frontera.info that has a current road conditions report? I can't find it right now.

Rain's supposed to return this afternoon.

Thanks,
--
Doug

Mexitron - 1-10-2005 at 12:23 PM

Is Baja getting any of this storm? We've had rain for five days in Orange County....some of the mountains have over 24" of rain!!

Bob H - 1-10-2005 at 12:30 PM

I think the main part of the pineapple express slammed through the L.A. area. Here in San Diego we only received light periods of rain, on and off, for the last two days. Still just a little sprinkle now and then today. I would tend to think further south would have even less rain. But supposedly it's not all over until tomorrow afternoon.
Bob H

Mexitron - 1-10-2005 at 02:19 PM

Amazing disparity between Orange/LA and San Diego Counties in rainfall....what a curious year this has been so far...:wow:

Gypsy Jan - 1-11-2005 at 12:25 PM

In Rosarito,

since midnight till now (11:21 am), one inch of rain; wind speed 18-22 mph (earlier this am, windspeed 30-40 mph); Temp 56 degrees, wind chill 43 degrees.